Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,631 times

Advertisements

This is just force shaping, nothing more. I don't think the failures will be as bad as the Air Force is predicting. When I took my last PT test using the old standards I did what I had to do to pass, although they told me that I wouldn't pass the new standards because I didn't meet the minimum in sit-ups. When I test on the new standards I will do what I need to do to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
This is just force shaping, nothing more. I don't think the failures will be as bad as the Air Force is predicting. When I took my last PT test using the old standards I did what I had to do to pass, although they told me that I wouldn't pass the new standards because I didn't meet the minimum in sit-ups. When I test on the new standards I will do what I need to do to pass.
What exactly do you mean by "just force shaping, nothing more"? Essential looking to kick people out? Ensure a healthy lifestyle will save the govt tons in healthcare costs now and later, I think that's a major reason to why they're doing it.

They'll be more failures than the Air Force is predicting as they're going off PT scores that are already most likely inflated. I'd guess of a quarter of those passing scores have some fudged numbers whether it be the person with the measuring tape pulled it tighter than they should, the few "questionable" pushups that were counted, getting a running start for the run or an improper rest during situps. With the civilians (except in some special cases) now doing the testing, the majority of cheating will be gone. With the old system, a 75 is passing and it's extremely rare to see a 74 failure as it wasn't worth the paperwork. That's now changed.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The military never does such things without looking at force size and that fololows planning of future needs.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
As long as the new Air Force policy allows for time to PT during duty hours then it really is a win win situation.

In the Army regulations specified a minimum of 3 times and week and recommended 5 times a week. Of course mission requirements sometimes alter schedules but I was always given plenty of time to PT and clean up afterwards, on uncle's dime. I looked at it as the Army was paying me $35+ and hour to stay healthy and feel good about myself. Now that I'm retired I wish I could find a civilian job like that...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As long as the new Air Force policy allows for time to PT during duty hours then it really is a win win situation.
"Commanders will continue to emphasize the importance of fitness and provide Airmen fitness time during duty hours when the mission permits, but will no longer be mandated by AFI 10-248 to allocate fitness time during "traditional" duty hours. Again, it is every Airman's responsibility to achieve and maintain Air Force fitness standards."

So it's up to the commander to do as they please...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
I am currently active duty, and was briefed by one of the Generals in charge of this at a recent conference. One question posed by the audience was where the scoring system came from.

Basically, there was a study (not sure who conducted it) about what the average male/female in the US population can do, as far as waist, running, sit-ups and push-ups. The minimums for each age group were determined by the 50% point.

For my age group, I have to be able to do 17 push-ups, for example. That means that 50% of other females in the USA, in my age group, can do at least 17 push-ups. That's my minimum.

Is it really to much to ask for the military to be more physically fit than the bottom 49% of people in the USA? Think about rates of obesity and the large numbers of people who live sedentary lifestyles.

I do not think it's too much to ask.

By the way. I can NOT do 17 push ups. I reach muscle failure about about 13 push-ups. I couldn't do it right now, even if my career depended on it. The Air Force was nice enough to provide push-up classes on base, and I learned some technique tips and also what strengthening exercises I can do.

It's weird, because my last PT test in May, I scored an 89. That's a great score. However, if I were tested today, I would fail. I won't have to test again until October.

If I can't find the internal motivation to work hard enough to reach 17 push-ups in 3 months (that's only 4 more)... then I probably shouldn't be here anyway.

Yes, I might be great at other aspects of my job, maybe I'm even NCO of the year, but if I can't get motivated to meet a simple directive and stay in the top half of physical fitness in the country, then what does that say about my reliability, dedication, motivation, and drive?

I was also told that if you score a 100, you are in the top 5% of the US population.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post

In the Army regulations specified a minimum of 3 times and week and recommended 5 times a week. Of course mission requirements sometimes alter schedules but I was always given plenty of time to PT and clean up afterwards, on uncle's dime. I looked at it as the Army was paying me $35+ and hour to stay healthy and feel good about myself. Now that I'm retired I wish I could find a civilian job like that...
"Duty hours" is a pretty flex-y concept.

I knew a lot of folks who talked about "20 hour days" they pulled. With rare exceptions, I call shenanigans. Count in long lunches (civilians don't see 90 minute lunches), PT time, cleanup time after PT, screwoff time, and it was more like 12 hours for long days in garrison-15 for VERY long days.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Ensure a healthy lifestyle will save the govt tons in healthcare costs now and later,
...except that this does not "ensure a healthy lifestyle" and therefore no decreased health care costs per se. You can be one hamburger away from a heart attack and pass the PT test. And even if so, free medical care means many people will still schedule a Dr appt at the slightest sniffle. Why not? It's free.

Meanwhile, how much $ will the AF lose due to booting people who are good at doing their job (which even the AF teaches us is the most important thing) but don't pass?

Brilliant!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
...except that this does not "ensure a healthy lifestyle" and therefore no decreased health care costs per se. You can be one hamburger away from a heart attack and pass the PT test. And even if so, free medical care means many people will still schedule a Dr appt at the slightest sniffle. Why not? It's free.

Meanwhile, how much $ will the AF lose due to booting people who are good at doing their job (which even the AF teaches us is the most important thing) but don't pass?

Brilliant!
There was an Airman who had a heart attack and died during their PT test...The premise of the healthy lifestyle is to increase the odds that no one will be hamburger away from a heart attack. You're right about people seeing the dr as it's free as people have been doing that since the inception of the military...

Completely agree that the AF will lose more money due to talented people leaving.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,394 times
If your life depended on lugging a ma duece a half a mile in the heat,maybe all those pushups those mean bastards made you do would pay off !!!I'm just this side of fifty,and those PT stats are a joke! If you can't do them,please take your beer gut,whiny disposition and leave! P.S. If you haven't noticed,not that much in going on employment wise in civvy world.com !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues