Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
2 failures and the potential to be discharged has always been the Army standard.
The good thing is most Army soldiers never get to that point and most NCOs will ensure you do not fail a second time no matter what they need to do to get you in shape.

I failed my first one in regular duty after basic (i got lazy my 30 days off) and man was I in for a lot of sweat. I was serving 2/187 Rakkasans in Fort Campbell where they take PT seriously haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
There are four componets to the test, correct! Why in the hell does the run account for 60pts alone. Each part of the test should be 25pts, make a fair test, 4 into 100 is 25 the last time I checked. If you make the minium, you should still pass. If a members scores a 90, there's no way he or she fails period! Think about people @ 15 to 19 years in, your not phyisally able to do what you did when you were 20 to 30 years old, lets not loose a career over something like this. Retire with pride and get screwed

Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
I think that's one of the untold secrets to it....they want to see more of the older guys that were part of the "no PT" generation to get out. That would not only rid the biggest of the fatties, but would also decrease the amount of retirees the AF would have to pay out to. In theory that would not only reduce the manning but also save the AF $$...what they've been wanting to do all along.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmooth View Post
Each part of the test should be 25pts, make a fair test, 4 into 100 is 25 the last time I checked.
Why would that make it fair? Dividing the points evenly would make it fair? My gosh, it's a physical training test, get over it and start practicing it, that would be the fair thing...

Rich

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
We got a letter from our base. 30% failure rate so far, yet 39% of passing were excellent (90+ out of 100). I have reasons to question even if that number is accurate as our base press is often "optimistic" and has been caught lying many times. Said the majority of failures were the push-ups and recommended not to go to the PT test blind, but to either ask a current or former PTL or refer to the regs to gauge hand placement and how far down you need to go.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
We got a letter from our base. 30% failure rate so far, yet 39% of passing were excellent (90+ out of 100). I have reasons to question even if that number is accurate as our base press is often "optimistic" and has been caught lying many times. Said the majority of failures were the push-ups and recommended not to go to the PT test blind, but to either ask a current or former PTL or refer to the regs to gauge hand placement and how far down you need to go.
The pushup thing sounds legit. Most of the failures of the guys I know are because of that very reason. They FAC people are not counting all the reps people are doing so they're bombing the test.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I think that's one of the untold secrets to it....they want to see more of the older guys that were part of the "no PT" generation to get out. That would not only rid the biggest of the fatties, but would also decrease the amount of retirees the AF would have to pay out to. In theory that would not only reduce the manning but also save the AF $$...what they've been wanting to do all along.
EXACTLY. This is what it's all about - looking for ways to save a buck and who cares if it's at the expense of people who have served a long and prosperous career - most of whom aren't in esp bad shape either, but might not fit the silly new test standards? There should have been some kind of "grandfather clause" here. PS I'm not worried about passing mine, but IMO it's a freaking joke and one of a zillion examples of how the military has no qualms about screwing its own over.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
The pushup thing sounds legit. Most of the failures of the guys I know are because of that very reason. They FAC people are not counting all the reps people are doing so they're bombing the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
EXACTLY. This is what it's all about - looking for ways to save a buck and who cares if it's at the expense of people who have served a long and prosperous career - most of whom aren't in esp bad shape either, but might not fit the silly new test standards? There should have been some kind of "grandfather clause" here. PS I'm not worried about passing mine, but IMO it's a freaking joke and one of a zillion examples of how the military has no qualms about screwing its own over.
Pretty much what I've been saying within this entire thread. Funny how we (my base) sends out a letter recommending to not go in blind. I would love to see a "ranking" of passing % of all AFB's publicly announced on a monthly basis. Will never happen because they'll never report the truth...lol

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
They FAC people are not counting all the reps people are doing so they're bombing the test.
Saying the FAC people are "not counting all the reps" makes it sound like all the reps are legitimate. Possibly the reps that aren't being counted are ones that are done with incorrect form? If so, the person taking the test is at fault-not the scorer, who is grading to standard.

Seen it a thousand times in the Army. Guys who think they're studs bobbing their head really violently instead of lowering their body as a unit and then getting mad half their "pushups" weren't counted.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Saying the FAC people are "not counting all the reps" makes it sound like all the reps are legitimate. Possibly the reps that aren't being counted are ones that are done with incorrect form? If so, the person taking the test is at fault-not the scorer, who is grading to standard.

Seen it a thousand times in the Army. Guys who think they're studs bobbing their head really violently instead of lowering their body as a unit and then getting mad half their "pushups" weren't counted.
Part of the problem is that it's subjective and up to the observer to determine what's a good rep. My only suggestion to guy who are failing is to schedule their follow-up PT test for when their commander or 1st Sgt is doing theirs, so they can experience the same thing. This way if they're getting screwed over the boss will be more understanding when it comes time to decide if the troop should get kicked out or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues