Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,987 times

Advertisements

A US Army guy working in the Philippines says he is a reservist and that he receives salary from the US. He says he had been to Iraq and Afghanistan. He wears his combat uniform at work saying he is required by the USArmy to do so. He is 23 and tells everyone that he is a US Army Captain. I am afraid that many women at work look at him in awe and some fall for him because of his "qualifications." Now i am afraid for these girls.
He said he stayed in the US only for four years and now lives in the Philippines and now works here.
Is it possible that everything he says is true? Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,509,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliec7 View Post
A US Army guy working in the Philippines says he is a reservist and that he receives salary from the US. He says he had been to Iraq and Afghanistan. He wears his combat uniform at work saying he is required by the USArmy to do so. He is 23 and tells everyone that he is a US Army Captain. I am afraid that many women at work look at him in awe and some fall for him because of his "qualifications." Now i am afraid for these girls.
He said he stayed in the US only for four years and now lives in the Philippines and now works here.
23 years old and a Captain? Impossible, that means he finished college and was commissioned when he was 19. Can you post a picture of this person in uniform?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,170 times
He's also NOT required to wear his uniform at work. In fact, he's NOT allowed to wear it to his civilian work.

He probably never served in the military (or was kicked out). One thing for certain is that he has zero integrity.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
Lets do the math. Claims to be 23...spent 4 yrs in the US....served same time in Iraq and Afghanistan. How did he be in two/three places the same time? As for being commisioned at 19 it is possible (ROTC).

During Korea in 1952 I read in the Stars & Stripes where a 19 yr old 2nd LT (ROTC) graduate had a Sgt court marshaled for insubordination of an Officer.

The Sgt said " Look sonny, I was in this mans Army before you were born".

Anyway at 23 he would still not have time in rank to be a Capt......maybe a Jet fighter Pilot now days could.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 10-19-2012 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Correcting phrase

Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
i work in a clothing store near ft riley and witnessed 4 young females in bdu's cursing and talking loud. im was embarrassed for them, their parents and the army as well as myself as a lady

Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM

256 posts, read 452,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliec7 View Post

Unless he's working on a military installation or an embassy he should not be wearing his uniform to work.

As for him being 23 and a Capt this is virtually impossible. The average 2nd Lt is about 22-23 and it usually takes about 4 years to get promoted from 2nd Lt to Capt(in the AF anyway).

I smell a huge lie in your friend's story

Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
Unless he's working on a military installation or an embassy he should not be wearing his uniform to work.

As for him being 23 and a Capt this is virtually impossible. The average 2nd Lt is about 22-23 and it usually takes about 4 years to get promoted from 2nd Lt to Capt(in the AF anyway).

I smell a huge lie in your friend's story
Sounds like he needs to be called out on it.

Youngest LT I knew of was 21 in the Army. Year group who commissioned in 2010 are due to make Captain at 48 months right now. Most young LT's out of a service school or ROTC are 22-23 so minimum age would be 26-27.

23 year old Captain? Sure...

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
seems unusual since the Presidio is closed down, Fort Ord is closed, Oakland Army base / closed?

I remember he had Captain's insignia on his combat uniform
My son went for training/school in Arabic at Presidio's DLIFLC (Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center),....so maybe this CPT was attending the same training there.

They closed it down??...did not know this.
When did this happen?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
My son went for training/school in Arabic at Presidio's DLIFLC (Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center),....so maybe this CPT was attending the same training there.

They closed it down??...did not know this.
When did this happen?

Current status:
The Presidio of Monterey, in California, is an active US Army installation with historic ties to the Spanish colonial era. Currently it is the home of the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLI-FLC). Also this is the last and only Presidio in California to have an active military installation.

The Presidio of San Francisco is a park and a former military base in San Francisco, California. Congress voted to end the Presidio's status as an active military installation. On October 1, 1994, it was transferred to the National Park Service, ending 219 years of military use.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-07-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
as far as I knew I though both the Army & Air Force could go wear they want in cammies. I see Army & AF guys out in town in cammies all the time.
Having lived near McCallen AFB in Sacramento, and now in Maryland, I saw and see a lot of people out and about in uniform. I always assumed they were just running errands while on break or on their way home/to work. The only time I saw "cammies" worn while not on duty was when some friends of mine who are in the Air Force had a going away party at a local bar before they deployed to Korea. There were about 20 of them or so. There was another party at the same bar to celebrate the "release" of a Marine who just got out. Probably about 30 Marines or so were in attendance, but, they were all wearing their street clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues