Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 AM

7 posts, read 186,241 times

Advertisements

What about just goin out and having a day with friends or family. Go out to eat, movies? Mall? Airport? Museums? Pictures taken? Park? Amusement parks? Visiting old high school? Grocery store? AR 670-1 doesn't say anything about not being allowed to wear ACUs and the dress uniforms to these occasions! I'm a PFC soon to make SPC, and I've visited my old high school in ACUs and multicam before I deployed. And what if I want to be in uniform when I go back on leave and fly into my city? AR 670-1 doesn't say anything against that stuff.

Last edited by Gio11bravo; 08-22-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio11bravo View Post
What about just goin out and having a day with friends or family. Go out to eat, movies? Mall? Airport? Museums? Pictures taken? Park? Amusement parks? Visiting old high school? Grocery store? AR 670-1 doesn't say anything about not being allowed to wear ACUs and the dress uniforms to these occasions! I'm a PFC soon to make SPC, and I've visited my old high school in ACUs and multicam before I deployed. And what if I want to be in uniform when I go back on leave and fly into my city? AR 670-1 doesn't say anything against that stuff.

No AR 670-1 will not talk about that. It is not prohibitted though frowned upon in most instances. It is okay to wear the uniform to the store for example if you are going in for something quick. It is also okay to wear it out when working for lunch. It isn't prohibited at dinner with family but it is not allowed at the amusement park or the museum. Those are places where the wearing of the uniform could be considered bringing too much attention to the army. Wearing it to your old high school is okay, and even to other events like that as long as you wear it in total and complete and as prescribed in AR 670-1. The restrictions really are part of customs and curtesies and not specifically in that AR. Also the restrictions will be in US Codes as well.

See the below link for some information.

When The Wear Of The Army Uniform Is Required Or Prohibited (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Just be aware of attention that may or may not be wanted. The army is more relaxed in that it allows the ACU to be worn in a number of places previously not allowed. In the time when I was a PFC a soldier could fly in uniform but it had to be in class A's. Now we see it all the time. Even though I am still in I try to stick to the old codes. I will wear it to a store to get something quick but I am not miandering around. I get what I need and scoot. I will wear it to lunch while I am working but will not take my family out to dinner while wearing it. I will not wear my ACU to a wake as it is prohibited even for a fellow soldier fallen except in theater. I would instead wear Dress Blues/Greens/ASU's and you know which uniforms I am talking about. Just be very aware all eyes are on you while wearing that uniform. Do not bring discredit by doing something in uniform that is wrong. Wear the uniform with pride but don't wear it to boast. There will be peole that still take exception to it as with anything else. I just want you to be careful.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 186,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No AR 670-1 will not talk about that. It is not prohibitted though frowned upon in most instances. It is okay to wear the uniform to the store for example if you are going in for something quick. It is also okay to wear it out when working for lunch. It isn't prohibited at dinner with family but it is not allowed at the amusement park or the museum. Those are places where the wearing of the uniform could be considered bringing too much attention to the army. Wearing it to your old high school is okay, and even to other events like that as long as you wear it in total and complete and as prescribed in AR 670-1. The restrictions really are part of customs and curtesies and not specifically in that AR. Also the restrictions will be in US Codes as well.

See the below link for some information.

When The Wear Of The Army Uniform Is Required Or Prohibited (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Just be aware of attention that may or may not be wanted. The army is more relaxed in that it allows the ACU to be worn in a number of places previously not allowed. In the time when I was a PFC a soldier could fly in uniform but it had to be in class A's. Now we see it all the time. Even though I am still in I try to stick to the old codes. I will wear it to a store to get something quick but I am not miandering around. I get what I need and scoot. I will wear it to lunch while I am working but will not take my family out to dinner while wearing it. I will not wear my ACU to a wake as it is prohibited even for a fellow soldier fallen except in theater. I would instead wear Dress Blues/Greens/ASU's and you know which uniforms I am talking about. Just be very aware all eyes are on you while wearing that uniform. Do not bring discredit by doing something in uniform that is wrong. Wear the uniform with pride but don't wear it to boast. There will be peole that still take exception to it as with anything else. I just want you to be careful.

So say a day when I'm going to go to the mall and take pictures with family and I'm in ASUs, will it be bad if I just leave it on afterwards?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio11bravo View Post
So say a day when I'm going to go to the mall and take pictures with family and I'm in ASUs, will it be bad if I just leave it on afterwards?

No your ASU's are fine should you want to wear them. In fact you can even wear them as class b (sans tie if you have your short sleeve shirt) instead of class a. It is just the ACU is the uniform that was meant for work and not to go about socializing.

The wear of the ASU is authorize for just about any occasion. Just remember to wear it with pride, and complete. Wear what you are authorized for decorations and nothing you are not authorized. Do not do anything that can bring discredit to those of us who wore and wear the uniform. Stay sober but the consumption of alcohol is okay. All that is asked of you when wearing your uniform is remember those who served before you.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM

374 posts, read 833,880 times
Maybe things have changed over the years. But... We considered our uniform a Monkey Suit and why draw attention to yourself? With the Shoppette, Commissary, Four Seasons, Class Six, Chowhall, NCO/Airmen's club plus all the contracted eateries on base? Although we/most would occasionally visit fast food establishments out the Main Gate during lunch. Why prance around in your fatigues off duty? (active duty)

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Maybe things have changed over the years. But... We considered our uniform a Monkey Suit and why draw attention to yourself? With the Shoppette, Commissary, Four Seasons, Class Six, Chowhall, NCO/Airmen's club plus all the contracted eateries on base? Although we/most would occasionally visit fast food establishments out the Main Gate during lunch. Why prance around in your fatigues off duty? (active duty)

That is agreed. I wear it more often off base since I am not active duty but national guard but I only wear it to and from work and occasionally Walmart or the drug store for something quick pick up. I also have stopped at dealerships or other parts stores on the way home but again I am like you itsallaboutyou why call attention to myself. Always I think of how it appears if I am in uniform to others.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
This entire thread is one of the many reasons that some services appear so much more professional than others.

At least when I was in they were only allowed to travel to/from in their vehicle...no stopping...no such thing as running out of gas since your car has a gauge. You could've filled it up the night before...

I've seen other services in town, eating dinner, in shopping malls and just lollygagging around...totally UNSAT IMHO.

If you don't like my opinion...take a good look inward.

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 08-29-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

374 posts, read 833,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
This entire thread is one of the many reasons that some services appear so much more professional than others.

At least when I was in they were only allowed to travel to/from in their vehicle...no stopping...no such thing as running out of gas since your car has a gauge. You could've filled it up the night before...

I've seen other services in town, eating dinner, in shopping malls and just lollygagging around...totally UNSAT IMHO.

But, FCS....Stopping to get gas? Let's hear more......

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

I don't believe that was ever the case. I believe that you were allowed to travel to and from work in uniform even off base. What was frowned upon was stopping to do groceries, stopping at a bar as many did even then. Stopping at the bank I know was allowed. I know traveling by train or plane was a strong suggestion not to travel in uniform just after the hostage situation in the 70's. It was even suggested to get a passport after that as well. Then 911 happened and now you see us at the airport in our combat uniforms (I disagree with that policy). Times they are a changing.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
^^^^ You believe incorrectly then... I've seen people disciplined for violating this.

Uniforms of the United States Marine Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marines are not authorized to wear their utility uniforms off-base while on leave or liberty, except while in a vehicle traveling to or from base, or in an emergency. The Army offers more leeway in this regard, but still prohibits casual wear of utilities, especially in social or drinking scenarios.[16]

2005. UTILITY UNIFORMS (See figs. 2-32 through 2-34.)

>CH 5 1. Commanders may prescribe the utility uniform as the uniform of the day, in accordance with the below guidance. The uniform is authorized for parades, reviews or other ceremonies, and informal social functions. The utility coat may be removed only for physical training and work details. When the Marine Corps combat utility uniform (MCCUU) is worn during the summer season the desert Marine Pattern (MarPat) with the sleeves rolled up, will be worn. When the MCCUU is worn during the winter season the commander) the woodland MarPat will be worn with the sleeves down. ALMAR 035/07 and ALMAR 07/08

>CH 5 2. The utility uniform is a working uniform and not appropriate for wear in a civilian environment. Wear of the MCCUU is authorized while commuting to and from work via privately owned vehicles. However, en route stops while off-base are not authorized except for bonafide emergencies, such as medical emergencies, vehicle breakdown, or vehicle accidents. Marines and Sailors may only wear the MCCUU at off base establishments when using drive-thru services such as ATMs, fast food restaurants, or dry cleaners when they do not exit the vehicle. ALMAR 035/07

5. Regulations for wearing utility uniforms are detailed in paragraph 3037.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues