Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

If you are not on duty or at an authorized function, you wear combat fatigues for what reason? Surely it can't be that you have no other clothing to wear. If you wanted to proclaim or otherwise show your dedication and proud service, you'd wear another class of uniform, befitting your chosen service.

There is a lot of worship going on these days for anyone wearing any kind of uniform and quite a few in any type of service that requires uniform wear on duty buy into that and use it to boost their own morale and sense of belonging.

If you are going to wear a uniform in public outside of that required by the service, for crying out loud, wear a dress uniform and demonstrate you aren't completely self absorbed, ignorant of appropriate behavior and a glory seeker. Wear a class of uniform that shows some distinction including your unit and personal awards. If you can't see fit to do that, find something else to wear other than grubbies.

If you aren't going to show the proper pride in your service, get a clue, fatigues don't cut it and all that happens is that you are confused with the local paintball crowd. Geesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
I have seen Marines off-base "outside of duty".

This Marine is "outside of duty" but it is authorized. He is there to attract attention, he is at a non-military function. He is there legally. He is at a high school at a function.
The Dress Blue uniform is NOT a combat uniform.
Marines call the combat uniform camies or utilities ...same uniform. They are NOT authorized for wearing off duty off base at all.
The Charlies, Alphas and Dress Blues CAN be worn off duty and off base at will as long as they are worn properly....I'm not seeing what's so hard to understand about this.
The pictures show Marines in camies in what looks like a staged (read; official) event.

The question was about AFR, sure...but you're making snide comments about rethinking an attitude to someone expressing their opinion about how sad it is to see them wearing uniforms off duty. That's their opinion and are entitled to it. Whether or not they meant ALL uniforms or just the combat uniforms remains to be clarified.

Facts are that as far as Marines go all but the combat uniform is allowed off duty.

Apparently the camie uniform is allowed to be worn off duty off base with the other services.

Quote:
If you are not on duty or at an authorized function, you wear combat fatigues for what reason? Surely it can't be that you have no other clothing to wear. If you wanted to proclaim or otherwise show your dedication and proud service, you'd wear another class of uniform, befitting your chosen service.

THIS! +1

Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
I believe we forget also that whatever unit or branch of service we or others have served. We never had a choice of which uniforms we could wear, that was always at the whim of command as the U.O.T.D. With the exceptions of whites or blues only during summer or winter.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I believe we forget also that whatever unit or branch of service we or others have served. We never had a choice of which uniforms we could wear, that was always at the whim of command as the U.O.T.D. With the exceptions of whites or blues only during summer or winter.
OH! A swabbie, huh? I was Marine Corps then Air Nat'l Guard. Rules were different for each branch. Marines better not catch you out in town in utilities. Guard, go ahead and stop at the store on your way home if you want to.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
I could picture wearing ACUs on leave if I was attending some military ceremony on my own accord, or doing something similar. But otherwise when I'm on "civilian time", civilian clothing is what I wear.

Not there is anything wrong with wearing the uniform, just make sure to wear it properly and to the appropriate places. The standards apply to you at all times especially when in public.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
Traveling thru LAX in short-sleeve Air Force blues a civvy-clad officer from Somewhere Else gigged me for not wearing Class A's.

Way back in Germany I got called to a higher up over it but, since the orderly room had told me it was okay, nothing came of it.

Another Reason I Got Out

Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Every service is different. Marines can't do it, Navy can't do it however, Air Force and Army can. Different rules and regulations for each service. Neither is right or wrong.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Neither may be right or wrong but one definitely appears more professional!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Neither may be right or wrong but one definitely appears more professional!
In your opinion yes.. but in my opinion, it doesn't really matter. Personally I don't see it as unprofessional if a soldier or airman in uniform are picking up their kids, dry cleaning or pumping gas off base.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM

36 posts, read 264,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Traveling thru LAX in short-sleeve Air Force blues a civvy-clad officer from Somewhere Else gigged me for not wearing Class A's.
Aren't they the same without the jacket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues