Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 AM

256 posts, read 452,440 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue I see with the standards are not the test itself but the inconsistencies in grading the test. It's all fine and well to tell people they need to practice but what good does that do if you take your test with one person at the FAC and he counts all of your pushups then take it with a different person and they only count half of them. Clearly something needs to be done about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Our granddaughter is checking on going into the Air Force. Following in her dad's footsteps. He retired a year ago last December. He did one thing to really help her out. She didn't go to a regular recruiter to see about this. Dad has a friend who is a recruiter where she can get the actual facts instead of the recruiters who tell you what you want to hear just to get their bonus commision. But she's not quite ready to enlist yet. She's 12 pounds underweight. Dad's got her on an exercise regimine to bulk her up. I remember when I went for my Army physical, there was a guy who was 10 pounds under weight. They put several soaking wet towels on his shoulders, adding the needed weight, and sent him on his way. Can't do that now!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Our granddaughter is checking on going into the Air Force. Following in her dad's footsteps. He retired a year ago last December. He did one thing to really help her out. She didn't go to a regular recruiter to see about this. Dad has a friend who is a recruiter where she can get the actual facts instead of the recruiters who tell you what you want to hear just to get their bonus commision. But she's not quite ready to enlist yet. She's 12 pounds underweight. Dad's got her on an exercise regimine to bulk her up. I remember when I went for my Army physical, there was a guy who was 10 pounds under weight. They put several soaking wet towels on his shoulders, adding the needed weight, and sent him on his way. Can't do that now!
Recruiters do not get any bonuses and never have, also considering people are begging to join the military I don't think to many lies have to be told.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Recruiters do not get any bonuses and never have, also considering people are begging to join the military I don't think to many lies have to be told.
Considering the large percentage of enlisted who say that their recruited lied to them...I'd say there is a problem.

A nephew recently went in with the understanding they would send him through some good educational progams.

If you consider a tour in Afghanistan to be an "educational program" then you are a creative one.

If I would have known about his interest, I would have told him he would end up in Afghanistan. I'm surprised that he appears to have been unwarned by his elders.

Recruiters may not get bonuses but there are incentives.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Anyone one who joins the military during a time of war and then is surprised they're sent to the war zone is either dumb or quite naive.

I'll let one of the current recruiters respond to your thoughts.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
A nephew recently went in with the understanding they would send him through some good educational progams.
Because, you know, that's what the military is all about. It's about sending young men and women through good educational programs without any chance of deploying or going in harms way, and ensuring they get good bonuses and benefits during their completely safe 9-5 tour.

/facepalm

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Because, you know, that's what the military is all about. It's about sending young men and women through good educational programs without any chance of deploying or going in harms way, and ensuring they get good bonuses and benefits during their completely safe 9-5 tour.

/facepalm
The military spends billions on education for the troops. Millions have benefited handsomely from military educational programs. Where do you think the vast majority of commercial airline pilots got their experience?

I wouldn't sell military educations short. Throughout American history, probably less than 1 in 400 troops have actually stood in harms way. Most get employed in maintenance or supply or support.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
The military spends billions on education for the troops. Millions have benefited handsomely from military educational programs. Where do you think the vast majority of commercial airline pilots got their experience?

I wouldn't sell military educations short. Throughout American history, probably less than 1 in 400 troops have actually stood in harms way. Most get employed in maintenance or supply or support.
Granted certain MOSs/jobs are more dangerous than others but my experience in Iraq was when the base was being rocketed or mortared it didn't matter what your MOS was.

Don't sell anyone or branch of service short that is serving in OIF/OEF.

I've had admin/suppy friends killed in helicopter shoot downs and I've hunkered down in bunkers with Air force and Navy troops too.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Granted certain MOSs/jobs are more dangerous than others but my experience in Iraq was when the base was being rocketed or mortared it didn't matter what your MOS was.

Don't sell anyone or branch of service short that is serving in OIF/OEF.

I've had admin/suppy friends killed in helicopter shoot downs and I've hunkered down in bunkers with Air force and Navy troops too.
True. And if its your own leg that just got blown off, those safety stats would be irritating I would think.

I did wedding photography for a bride and groom with a total of three legs.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Does the Air Force actually care about your weight anymore? Is she going to be in a specialized job? As far as I know, there are no weight restrictions. As long a someone can pass a PT test, and fit into a uniform then they should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues