Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
what are they going to do?
Quote:
Electric-diesel subs are almost impossible to detect
You answered your own question...

Quote:
Also in the submarine world, surfacing the sub is = to loosing most of the time.
It would the appear the reason the Chinese surfaced was because to "surprise" and wouldn't surface during wartime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Like the saying goes " once a marine always a navyman!"

Yeah, right!!!! You'd best stop smokin' that herb, it'll make your mind turn soft and give you delusions of adequacy.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
Their role may not be that of a 2nd Army, but they do a better job at it than the so called 1st Army! I saw this first hand in Iraq!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM

73 posts, read 74,015 times
The problem is the USMC is the only US force with any discipline which has always been the achilles heel of US forces.Eisenhower called the Army under his command in WWII a "howling mob".

Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffchik View Post
The problem is the USMC is the only US force with any discipline which has always been the achilles heel of US forces.Eisenhower called the Army under his command in WWII a "howling mob".
That's why we need to "Britishize" the US military and adopt their standards of professionalism ... the British military is the most professional and most disciplined fighting force on the planet afterall.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's why we need to "Britishize" the US military and adopt their standards of professionalism ... the British military is the most professional and most disciplined fighting force on the planet afterall.
This is an open forum and you are entitled to your own opinion. My opinion is that the U.S. military is just as disciplined and professional as any other in this world. And certain portions (Special Forces, Navy SEALS, Delta Forces, USAF Pararescue) are in the same league as any elite force of any other nation. No other military force has the global reach (and missions) that we do. I was proud to work alongside the forces of our allies. I saw many things that we could adopt. And I saw things which I believe we do better than anyone else.

(On a lighter note, I've NEVER seen an American G.I. pull a condom in through his nose and out his mouth like that Brit in the NCO Club At Decimomannu, Sardinia did...)

Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM

73 posts, read 74,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wihs2006 View Post
that's why we need to "britishize" the us military and adopt their standards of professionalism ... The british military is the most professional and most disciplined fighting force on the planet afterall.

amen !!!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffchik View Post
The problem is the USMC is the only US force with any discipline which has always been the achilles heel of US forces. Eisenhower called the Army under his command in WWII a "howling mob".
Even though the battles in the Pacific were extremely tough, I doubt if the Army at that time would have done a better job than the Marines had done.

Semper Fi.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I'm Air Force and having worked in joint environments I'd rather keep the marines and downsize the Air Force. When was the last time air to air won the war or was even a tiny bit necessary? But the biggest problem is that air jocks go on to command in non air wings where they tend to suck. Add to that the absolutely careerist no-risk no leadership of the rest of the officer corps. It wouldn't work at all except that the mission and NCO force tends to run itself. I'm not saying their are'nt some good officers. But the vast majority are mediocre take care of themself types. At least the Marine Corps breeds a great officer corps.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
This, coming from a guy who personally oversaw the increase in the active ranks within both the Army and the Corps. He's a tool.

Cut the Corps by about 1/3. III MEF is a waste, and Okinawa has been a "military colony" for too many decades, now. The Cold War mindset needs to sail off into the sunset, once and for all, and the special interests who want us to have such a large presence in some countries overseas need to take a hike.

That said, the Army needs to be cut, substantially, too. The armed forces have become an awful bureaucracy, and making it too much of a jobs program and such a large force that it keeps a lot of special interests gainfully employed is not the national security path this country should on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues