Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I was 200 lbs, 5ft 10in, when I went into basic... waayyyyy back in 1988....

Their was a reason they did not fit you for your dress greens the first week, becasue they ran your a$$ off, push ups, sit ups, and you name it....from 5am until 9pm....everyday except Sunday...they gave us a little break...

Now, it's petty a$$ BS they go through now, I'm sure they even have cell phones....cannot yell....cannot cuss...at the new recruits....Blahhhhh bunch of Army generals are to worried about what a civilian thinks about them....

When I got off the bus, a DS called my name, I said here...he threw a road guard vest in my face and lets go...

Oh yea, my point....When I left there i was about 175lbs..

LOL For the first six weeks of basic, I thought the Army had changed my name to D***head.

When the Drill Sergeant said, "Come here, d***head," I'd just naturally fall out and go up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Well let me tell you our daughters leg is now broken in two. She complained & complained and they just assumed she was an overweight whiny b+*#h. They finally took her to a rural local hospital & X-rays showed nothing.(probably because their equipment was from the 1960's)
As the weeks continued and her pain level increased this Quasi-military school/academy (a term used to describe the program because it resembles military training) for at risk youths and is a structured environment that includes many aspects related to military training such as paying attention to detail, respect, self-discipline and a chain of command.
At 6 weeks was first home visitation(she is 16). We knew something was terribly wrong. Took her to WVU CAMC General and they saw the fracture-ortho team, etc.
Now why would a Quasi-military school allow my daughter to run miles, hard physical training, etc meanwhile she is crying everyday due to her level 10+ pain. WTF??? So what if she was overweight in the beginning. I'm not a Dr but, starting off at the same level as a 130lb person seems completely INSANE. They need to be separated and pushed to build up to a level in which weight would not be a factor for serious harm to the child. We are waiting to find out if surgery will be necessary. Until then, she will return tomorrow(cast & all) no physical duty per Dr for 4 weeks. She will concentrate on Academics and complete the program. SHAME ON THEM FOR BASICALLY CALLING MY DAUGHTER A LIAR! And forcing her to participate in pulling cars, carrying cinder blocks, running, etc.. on a broken EFFIN' LEG!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:56 AM

46,270 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Braden View Post
Well let me tell you our daughters leg is now broken in two. She complained & complained and they just assumed she was an overweight whiny b+*#h. They finally took her to a rural local hospital & X-rays showed nothing.(probably because their equipment was from the 1960's)
As the weeks continued and her pain level increased this Quasi-military school/academy (a term used to describe the program because it resembles military training) for at risk youths and is a structured environment that includes many aspects related to military training such as paying attention to detail, respect, self-discipline and a chain of command.
At 6 weeks was first home visitation(she is 16). We knew something was terribly wrong. Took her to WVU CAMC General and they saw the fracture-ortho team, etc.
Now why would a Quasi-military school allow my daughter to run miles, hard physical training, etc meanwhile she is crying everyday due to her level 10+ pain. WTF??? So what if she was overweight in the beginning. I'm not a Dr but, starting off at the same level as a 130lb person seems completely INSANE. They need to be separated and pushed to build up to a level in which weight would not be a factor for serious harm to the child. We are waiting to find out if surgery will be necessary. Until then, she will return tomorrow(cast & all) no physical duty per Dr for 4 weeks. She will concentrate on Academics and complete the program. SHAME ON THEM FOR BASICALLY CALLING MY DAUGHTER A LIAR! And forcing her to participate in pulling cars, carrying cinder blocks, running, etc.. on a broken EFFIN' LEG!
Sorry for your daughters ordeal....

However, please do not think that NON-military school is anything like the Army.....They were wrong.

I can tell you from 21+ years experience and having numerous Soldiers under my leadership, when I even thought there was something wrong I would send them to the medical center......No questions asked....They did not have a choice.....

Old 09-06-2010, 10:22 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Braden View Post
It sounds like your daughter was in your state's Challenge program which is funded by the Nation Guard. What happened to your daughter was terrible but I can understand why they might have thought she was faking. The Challenge program is for at risk and troubled youth and it's a real "challange" dealing with them and their issues.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Does their weight affect their ability to do their jobs?
In many cases it can and being unfit in a combat situation can cost you your life. There should be a base level for fitness and if you can't meet it then there should be some way to address the problem and correct it. If you can't address it then you should be removed from service.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I was 200 lbs, 5ft 10in, when I went into basic... waayyyyy back in 1988....

Their was a reason they did not fit you for your dress greens the first week, becasue they ran your a$$ off, push ups, sit ups, and you name it....from 5am until 9pm....everyday except Sunday...they gave us a little break...

Oh yea, my point....When I left there i was about 175lbs..
I had the opposite problem. I was 127 lbs, 5ft 11in. And because all of that running your a$$ off, push ups, sit ups, you name it... I left basic training weighing all of 132lbs, and I was still unable to pass the push ups part of the PT test because the exercise program was one size fits all, mostly geared to the fat boys. However, I was able to max out that 2 mile run.

In AIT, it was the same thing, couldn't pass the push ups, only now it was complicated by the 25 pounds I packed on in 3 months, but none of it was upper body muscle. However, I probably could have run a marathon, because of all of the extra running I had to do because I couldn't pass the PT test. They had a program for those who couldn't pass the PT test. Too bad it had nothing to do with what I needed to work on.

I needed a command level waiver to graduate.

Oh and those 25 lbs I packed on in AIT, most of it melted away within 3 months. For some people it takes a LOT of effort to keep weight on.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What I have great trouble wrapping my mind around is WHY a guy who spends half the day outside the wire in Iraq or Afghanistan, wearing umpteen pounds of body armor, weapons, ammo and water NEEDS to come back to the FOB and exercise in order to pass his next PT test. Something in that scenario doesn't make sense and I suspect it's the PT test requirements. After all, what do situps, pushups and a 2 mile run have to do with humping his load on patrol and kicking down doors?

Answer: Not a damn thing. It's just an arbitrary standard which has no relation to the real world. AND...it's an arbitrary standard imposed when the volunteer Army started because women couldn't pass the old PT test, which was tailored around the physical skills a combat soldier would need. I know because I was there and taught it.
This is the most profound post on the subject I've read yet. People need really think about what's being said here.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
This is the most profound post on the subject I've read yet. People need really think about what's being said here.
I have thought about what is being said...

In a nutshell, I believe a certain level of physical fitness should be a part of all US Military personnel. I do not have all the answers. But I get a bit tired of hearing the negativity of why I should not be physically fit and how incompetent leaders, officers, senior NCO's are.

I am not a physical fitness affectionado. I have had to fight the battle of the bulge and maintain my appropriate physical fitness level most of my life.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have thought about what is being said...

In a nutshell, I believe a certain level of physical fitness should be a part of all US Military personnel. I do not have all the answers. But I get a bit tired of hearing the negativity of why I should not be physically fit and how incompetent leaders, officers, senior NCO's are.

I am not a physical fitness affectionado. I have had to fight the battle of the bulge and maintain my appropriate physical fitness level most of my life.
I think there should be a minimum level of fitness required, and for office jobs it'll probably be over and above what their "mission" requires. However, for actual people in the military that perform the actual mission and are out at the pointy end of the spear, their PT requirements should in fact directly reflect the fitness requirements their job roles dictate. This is counter to the current model of cookie-cutter PT requirements for the service across the board. I 100% think that if you're in an AMMO shop and need to carry heavy ordinance or equipment that you should be held to a higher standard, and not just duty location required. Make it by MOS/AFSC to create consistency in the ranks and across duty stations.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Make it by MOS/AFSC to create consistency in the ranks and across duty stations.
The Army has many units with a variety of MOS's. And there are some people with MOS's, in fact all US Army Enlisted personnel have a minimum of two MOS's, primary and secondy MOS. The Army PT test is pretty simple. When I was briefly a clerk (MOS71L), my PT standard was the same as everyone else in the unit. I guess deep down, just for a few moments, I may have liked an easier standard, but I would have preferred to not have people singled out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues