Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:06 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor who did not make it out of basic, back in the late 1950s, due to ankle problems and he gets full benefits through the VA. He told me he served less than 6 weeks before he was honorably discharged, I've seen the DD214 and taken him to the VA for treatment over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?

A medical discharge is a medical discharge.
What if he was run over by a tank in training?
What if the ceiling collapsed on person?

Note:
Some states are much more specific on the definition of a military veteran.

"To be a “veteran” under Massachusetts law a person is required to have either:
  • 180 days of active duty service and be discharged or released under honorable conditions - OR -
  • 90 days of active duty service, one day of which is during “wartime” per the chart which follows, and be discharged or released under honorable conditions, except for Vietnam I, which requires 180 days of active duty service."

Here is one from Pennsylvania:

Definition of a Veteran at Penn State.

To be considered as an independent student, based on veteran status, the Department of Education uses the following definition:
A veteran is a former member of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) who served on active duty and was discharged under conditions, which were other than dishonorable. There is no minimum number of days a student must have served on active duty to be considered a veteran. However, periods of active duty for training, pursuant to an enlistment in the National Guard or Reserves, do not qualify a student as a veteran. Thus former or current members of the National Guard or Reserves are not considered to be veterans unless they had prior or subsequent service with an active component of the Armed Forces. (Reservists called to active duty by Executive Order qualify as veterans.) Since the DD Form 214 is issued to those leaving the active military as well as to members of the National Guard and Reserves completing their initial active duty for training, possession of this document does not necessarily mean the student is a veteran.
Persons who attended military academies are now considered veterans for financial aid purposes.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Guys like that can claim to be Veterans all they want because they have no shame. But I can guarantee they'll get laughed out of the building if they claim to be a Veteran and tell stories around real Veterans.

Technically, the state of Texas DMV doesn't consider me a Veteran because I don't have a 214. Of course I don't have one, I'm still on active duty!

When they ask current or former military to stand up for a round of applause at sporting events, I don't stand up. Instead of shout, "USA, USA!" and my wife just gives me this look

Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
We have a neighbor who did not make it out of basic, back in the late 1950s, due to ankle problems and he gets full benefits through the VA. He told me he served less than 6 weeks before he was honorably discharged, I've seen the DD214 and taken him to the VA for treatment over the years.
Where the ankle problems due to basic? If so, then good...

Many people have failed basic because they broke something during basic....

Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
The Subway in my town used to give military discounts,don't recall how much. BUT because they had a lot of guys I guess claiming to be vetrans, they now require you to show a military id to get it. Since this is out near RandolphAFBase, there's a lot of military current and retired living in the area.
My dad would at different places get a senior's discount ,not because he asked for one,but they could see he was an older gentleman. He never would have asked anyone for a military discount,but then he passed away in 1996 before that whole thing seems to have started.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
I went through basic training and A I T my guard unit shut down before I finished A I T I have an DD214 and it says Honarable I'm I a Vet

Old 03-18-2016, 05:49 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Army 11B 3 year enlistment 84-87 3 years active reserve 87-90, I guess I`m a vet then but whatever really not a big deal.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
In the Marine Corps you don't rate being called a Marine until you make it through the Crucible at the very end of Boot Camp. You have to earn the title. So if you've never "earned the title" of Marine, then I don't see how you could claim to be a Marine veteran.

Obviously I don't know how the other branches work as far as basic training and officially becoming a soldier, airman, sailer, etc. That's just my perspective as far as someone claiming it while leaving during Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:06 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
In my book veterans all have a DD-214.

The VA issue photo ID cards.

I carry a DOD ID card.

It is not impossible to distinguish.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?
I would have had no problem saying to him "well you're not a veteran either, someone in your position shouldn't be even discussing this, and I hope you're paying for your meal".

Are you down in FL? I noticed down there everyone is a veteran. Talked to one guy one time who said he was a WW2 vet but he was born in 1928. That's a stretch. He was 13 when the US entered the war and 17 when it ended. While it's possible it was probably not true.

My dad was in the Korean War and hated every minute of it. He didn't talk about it much, and never walked around wearing hats or t-shirts advertising that he was a vet.

I think they should have to show ID, many people have no scruples and just see free and discounted meals.

Someone who goes into a police academy but drops out isn't a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues