Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?

I talked to Two Staff Sergeants in two different Branches of service and they said no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:41 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose the only proof a vet would have is a DD-214. You either have one, or you don't.

It seems to me that a "Honorable Discharge Certificate" paper would qualify too.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 PM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If a person served, and never saw action, are they still a vet?
Yes. I served more than 16 years without seeing a day of combat. I am a veteran of military service, but I am not a combat veteran for sure.

There are different classifications of veteran.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Yes. I served more than 16 years without seeing a day of combat. I am a veteran of military service, but I am not a combat veteran for sure.

There are different classifications of veteran.
I hope you're still in. I would hate to see someone give it up that close to the finish line.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:43 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My definition "A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces." but others will disagree.

I would consider "They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?" to be a verteran. They also would have probably received an Honorable Discharge (under medical conditions).

But there are various conditions and situations, and certain requirements to be met.

Dictionary Definition:
Agree. He served. He is therefore a veteran.

A family member is NOT a veteran. It doesn't matter a whit what THEY think, unless they've gone through the experience physically, mentally, emotionally, and legally, that is just a bad joke and indicates their poor boundaries or poor grasp of legal issues.

What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. However, with regard to applicable benefits, other considerations are important and will be covered in later sections.

http://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/

Old 05-29-2017, 01:49 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?
How I have been told is service for 180 days. There is a caveat where they are medically discharged but they are not eligible for a veteran plate for the car without a DD214 that has 180 consecutive days of service.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
A neighbor told me unless you fought in a war (including the horrid middle east) you are not a veteran. I was in the army for 4 yrs (2 in Germany & 2 stateside) & saw no combat. I was honorably discharged. Is he right ?

Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM

287 posts, read 237,231 times
I'm not sure the 180 day rule helps in any way. I served 14 months back in the late 90's and got out under honorable conditions (general).

I did not get my g.i. bill, no v.a. hospital benefits, and no v.a. home loan benefits because you need 18 months for any of that. So, I have a DD-214 and an "other than dishonorable" release but it does me no good.

I was a punk kid who only wanted to have fun. It is my biggest regret so far. I don't claim vet freebies, and I don't even claim it on my resume.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
A neighbor told me unless you fought in a war (including the horrid middle east) you are not a veteran. I was in the army for 4 yrs (2 in Germany & 2 stateside) & saw no combat. I was honorably discharged. Is he right ?
No, the neighbor is not correct... You are a veteran. The neighbor, well... Never mind...

Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I am a member of the American Legion and the VFW.

With our local posts these groups grumble at each other a lot. The AL is open to anyone who wore a uniform. The VFW is open to combat vets.

According to the VA https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp
"... a person who served in the active military service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable is a Veteran."

I know a lot of Korean war vets who carry a chip on their shoulder toward WWII vets, because when they got home they were told that they were not 'real' vets. VN vets were told the same thing when they got home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues