Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is very proud of having been a marine, however, his wife said he was booted early on for "failure to adapt", whatever that might mean. Can he claim to be a marine veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I know someone who is very proud of having been a marine, however, his wife said he was booted early on for "failure to adapt", whatever that might mean. Can he claim to be a marine veteran?
I have seen that phrase used to guys who could not hack boot camp.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
I'm a former Marine who served out his entire enlistment and was honorably discharged with an RE-1 reenlistment code. Personally, I wouldn't call myself a former Marine had I left under less than honorable circumstances. If he ever talks with other Marines, the conversation may become awkward once they figure out his real status. If he wants to be honest about it, if the question of military service ever comes up, he should admit he once was in the Marine Corps but it didn't work out and he was discharged before his enlistment ended.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM

304 posts, read 344,037 times
I was eligible to re-enlist with a waiver, had I been able to prove that I was physically able to handle boot camp. I couldn't imagine the embarrassment if my bones had broken again, so I never tried, even for a physically less demanding branch.

AlaskaErik, that is my point exactly. I don't consider myself a Marine, or a veteran. My Law Enforcement years will have to suffice.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM

304 posts, read 344,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Funny that you post this -because I feel the exact same way for law enforcement - even if it's the officer (man/woman) directing traffic at the TB Bucs' game parking area or the cross walk to get to the game.

Utmost respect -

but that's off topic a little....
Indeed it is, but it proves we find our place in life. We've all put our life on the line, and know what it means.

Respect to you -

Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Technically one has to complete boot camp to be considered a Marine.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
He shouldn’t be called a Veteran or a Marine IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues