Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm not surprised. DH used to slather hemorrhoid cream on his stomach and wrap it in plastic wrap to make tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
There is nothing wrong with the system and no stigma with being taped for muscular soldiers. Most of these soldiers pass the tape with flying colors. Those that don't (rare) can be profiled by a doctor.

It's the truly fat boys and girls that need to worry.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Interesting, we have a lot of Polynesian soldiers in our small army who are built like me 6' 2"and about as wide ,weighing in at 220 lb.
What is the so called ideal weight for a bloke of 25 who is 6' 2" and in the US Army infantry ?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting, we have a lot of Polynesian soldiers in our small army who are built like me 6' 2"and about as wide ,weighing in at 220 lb.
What is the so called ideal weight for a bloke of 25 who is 6' 2" and in the US Army infantry ?
Maximum for someone like that is 206.

It is a little low for any kind of weightlifting or strength training with a mesomorphic build.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the system and no stigma with being taped for muscular soldiers. Most of these soldiers pass the tape with flying colors. Those that don't (rare) can be profiled by a doctor.

It's the truly fat boys and girls that need to worry.
more or less, that is true. but when you say "no stigma," it refers to the immediate consequences as much as it does to the final judgment of the situation.

a significant number of those guys that i served with that would get taped simply for being very large guys, even though they could still PT with the best of us and were in great shape, but would still get lectured on diet and exercise, and depending upon how much command liked them, would have to go PT with the fat kids.

that is pretty much par for the course as far as stigma is concerned. sure, i never heard of any of them complaining about long-range problems, like being denied promotions for it, but even in the short term, getting screwed over because of an arbitrary system and the shortsightedness of your command can make life unpleasant.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I have the best one for you. A friend of mine is in the Marines. One of his guys, a young soldier drank a ton of vodka one night, carved a big box on his side, peeled down the skin and start shaving off the fatty parts of it then closed himself back up and tried to sew it shut - all because he didn't meet measurements and weight.... they found him in a pool of blood and he had to have emergency surgery. This a very true story, now he's in behavioral health getting some much needed counseling.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I have the best one for you. A friend of mine is in the Marines. One of his guys, a young soldier drank a ton of vodka one night, carved a big box on his side, peeled down the skin and start shaving off the fatty parts of it then closed himself back up and tried to sew it shut - all because he didn't meet measurements and weight.... they found him in a pool of blood and he had to have emergency surgery. This a very true story, now he's in behavioral health getting some much needed counseling.
*shudders*

yep. i've seen drunk guys do some very disturbing things. and some people do disturbing things when entirely sober, simply to make weight.

however, i've never seen much of any obsession at all with making weight in the military. but i was in the usmc infantry, and we had plenty of time to pt, so maybe it didn't affect us as much...

Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
more or less, that is true. but when you say "no stigma," it refers to the immediate consequences as much as it does to the final judgment of the situation.

a significant number of those guys that i served with that would get taped simply for being very large guys, even though they could still PT with the best of us and were in great shape, but would still get lectured on diet and exercise, and depending upon how much command liked them, would have to go PT with the fat kids.

that is pretty much par for the course as far as stigma is concerned. sure, i never heard of any of them complaining about long-range problems, like being denied promotions for it, but even in the short term, getting screwed over because of an arbitrary system and the shortsightedness of your command can make life unpleasant.
that was the problem when i was in the army as a MP and i lifted weights like a mad man to be able to put someone down on the ground real quick like if i need to along with doing the unit run and gun PT ready test for my MP group that i was station with at the time and would come out in the top 15 percent of the group but i was still thought of fat because of the body size because i was 20 pds overweight by the standards wieght chart that the military was useing at the time .but come to a bar fight or breaking down a door with the ram then i was ok at my wieght at the time with the unit ..

the problem is the that the socalled scale system that they use is not really right and healthy for a young person for the doctors in the military have been wanting to go to a another system but the military says no . ..for some of the doctors have said that the system that they use is unhealthy and should not be use for it staves the body instead of keeping the body at a normal healthy weight ..

i seen guys who where like me 6.ft 3.inchs or tall get that talk about propler diet and other things but we where less than 10 percent body fat total on our bodys ..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I had to go the other way.

They considered me, at 117, to be underweight.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I had to go the other way.

They considered me, at 117, to be underweight.
and maybe you were, but as much as there are actually healthy people who are considered overweight by the system, there are healthy people who are considered underweight by the system.

that is the problem with basing a system like this on averages; there are always going to be those whose bodies don't conform to averages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues