Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
I think I didn't type what I meant clearly, as that is what I thought you meant. But he won't lose the higher E-6 rate when he promotes. Even though the E-7 rate is lower, they won't reduce his BAH. The grandfathering will only last while he as at his current duty station though. FAQ#7 that I quoted from the defensetravel.dod site probably explains it better than I do.
OH SNAP! I read these too! But I read the first line and then stopped; I was rushing!

Quote:
7. If I get promoted, do I get the "protected" BAH amount for my new pay grade?
No. If you are promoted, your BAH rate is the then-current published BAH for your new (higher) grade, with the following exception. If you get promoted, and are in a location where the current published BAH for your new grade is lower than the BAH amount you were receiving before, you continue to receive the higher BAH amount.
So if I am understanding this, he just keeps exactly the same BAH? Not the old E-7 rate, just exactly the same?

Cool! I'm re-motivated for my own promotion now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
i feel sorry for the guys advancing off the next servicewide exam (coast guard) here in houston. e-6 bah is decreasing by close to $200 and i imagine the same will happen for all junior enlisted.

Yea, I was just feeling sorry for one of my coworkers in Houston! However, as one of the previous posters mentioned...

Quote:
7. If I get promoted, do I get the "protected" BAH amount for my new pay grade?
No. If you are promoted, your BAH rate is the then-current published BAH for your new (higher) grade, with the following exception. If you get promoted, and are in a location where the current published BAH for your new grade is lower than the BAH amount you were receiving before, you continue to receive the higher BAH amount.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 AM

19 posts, read 54,829 times
Look, I understand that it sucks that BAH is decreasing a little bit in most areas, but if you chose for your mortgage or rent to be near/at the limit, then I don't know exactly why people are feeling sorry for anyone. Thats the problem with Americans today, living beyond your means.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalOfficer1979 View Post
Look, I understand that it sucks that BAH is decreasing a little bit in most areas, but if you chose for your mortgage or rent to be near/at the limit, then I don't know exactly why people are feeling sorry for anyone. Thats the problem with Americans today, living beyond your means.
Your post is pretty much irrelevant. If a service member purchased a home based on their BAH rate, their BAH will NOT go down while they are at that duty station unless they are demoted. As was previously mentioned, you will not go backwards - when the yearly adjustments are made, if the BAH goes down in your area, you will continue to receive the higher rate as long as you are at that duty station (unless demoted)...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OH SNAP! I read these too! But I read the first line and then stopped; I was rushing!

So if I am understanding this, he just keeps exactly the same BAH? Not the old E-7 rate, just exactly the same?

Cool! I'm re-motivated for my own promotion now!
I am so greatful that we will also be grandfathered. When my husband gets promoted, our current BAH is still $30 more than the next rank up.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 AM

19 posts, read 54,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Your post is pretty much irrelevant. If a service member purchased a home based on their BAH rate, their BAH will NOT go down while they are at that duty station unless they are demoted. As was previously mentioned, you will not go backwards - when the yearly adjustments are made, if the BAH goes down in your area, you will continue to receive the higher rate as long as you are at that duty station (unless demoted)...
Your post is pretty much irrelevant. Tell me how long a soldier is typically at a duty station plz. If you actually read my post, I only stated that those whole decide to max their BAH benefits without leaving some sort of buffer in case their BAH does go down, do not deserve sympathy. Understand now?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
yeah but signal, no one's BAH is going down.

We are just commenting on how the BAH rate is going down. Everyone is pretty much locked in until they PCS unless like Seattle said, you get demoted. Even with a promotion, it was pointed out, you retain the BAH you currently have if it is higher than the next rank up.

We are typically at a duty station 3-4 yrs.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
yeah but signal, no one's BAH is going down.

We are just commenting on how the BAH rate is going down. Everyone is pretty much locked in until they PCS unless like Seattle said, you get demoted. Even with a promotion, it was pointed out, you retain the BAH you currently have if it is higher than the next rank up.

We are typically at a duty station 3-4 yrs.
Exactly! BAH will NOT go down unless you are demoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues