Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 17,396 times

Advertisements

First time poster, however I am a long time lurker on the board.
I'm getting ready to leave active duty for the second time in 3 years next April. ( I joined the reserves after my enlistment was up and got recalled to active duty last year.)
In my previous transition experience I found it difficult to find a decent paying job (more than 10.50 an hour in the Seattle area) other than security guard positions and doing labor intensive work while trying to continue my college education.
I've read all the boards and advice others have posted on the internet, they all seem rosy and full of success stories. However I understand the harsh realities I'm facing when I get back home having to support a wife who works full time while going to school, 2 kids, and bills to pay without a job.
I hear "experts" say sell your skills, but what good are those skills when employers refuse to recognize them or discount quality of training the military gives.
I used to work as a Network Vulnerability Technician in the Navy and although the skill set is in high demand I got nary a nibble from the 1000's of resumes I sent out 3 years ago. I also have a background in electronics with over 2000 hours of training but experienced the same type of rejection, I even applied to the unions but was told they could only bring me in as an apprentice because Washington State did not recognize military training as an appropriate form of on the job training.
I have no idea where to start this time around, leaving the military while deployed in a war zone and now transition assistance program. I have a totally different job (intelligence analyst) and really can't correlate my skills to anything relevant in the civilian world.
I'm afraid that the this time around my transition this time around will not be any different with the economy and job market being the way that it is right now.
Does anyone have any practical advice on how to make a successful transition back to civilian life.
Thanks
J.B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM

513 posts, read 897,371 times
i can't answer your question, but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
I don't know how much help this will be, but have you thought about contacting one of the service organzations such as the Va, Amvets, American Leigon, or VFW? They may have some programs that can help you transition. You should be able to research some of this stuff online if you have access to a computer.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
It just sound slike you are not selling yourself right, what does your resume look like? if it's more than 2 pages....WRONG....how big is your font size...do you ramble, or do you go straight to the point...

What color is the paper, do you staple your resume....

I know that sounds weird....but it's your first impression.....Do you give your resume to the secretary? Or is it email...

Take the jobs you can get...then work on the next job.....

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

13 posts, read 17,396 times
Perhaps I am selling myself short- as I am never one to toot my own horn. As for the resume it's about 2 pages including relevant work history and education. Most of my applications have been via the internet, since I am overseas right now and i can't simply run to Kinkos to get gray or off-white resume paper.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbowman View Post
Perhaps I am selling myself short- as I am never one to toot my own horn. As for the resume it's about 2 pages including relevant work history and education. Most of my applications have been via the internet, since I am overseas right now and i can't simply run to Kinkos to get gray or off-white resume paper.

Well their you go....don't toot your own horn......don't work......

You maybe over seas...but you wife is in the states right....send it to her and have her go down to kinkos....or where ever and at least have some ready....

Eitehr way, your resume shuold STAND OUT and SAY HERE I AM....of course in a very suttle way....

Do you have a security clearance? If so is that one of the first things that is on your resume or the last....

Mine was just under my name block (current security clearance)
I have been retired now for just over a year...I know the resume way....

Why won't you work as an intern? You will eventually "not be an intern" right....

You can always work and look for another job....

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbowman View Post
First time poster, however I am a long time lurker on the board.

Does anyone have any practical advice on how to make a successful transition back to civilian life.
Thanks
J.B.

Go to USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and see what's available.

"intelligence analyst" there are jobs in the Washington DC area. Check the above site or check with DIA. Yes, if you have to move to DC for a good job with a future, then do it now, for the future.

As a few have already said. I have a feeling you may not be selling yourself properly.

Good luck to you, and there are people here who want to help.

Rich

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
TAP was great. I attended twice, as you should, too. Conduct the practice interviews, resume writing, etc. Use that instructor. My instructor was a retired Col and he was great.

My batting average was poor but I got hired on terminal leave. I basically applied for a job every minute of the day. For me, the application process basically became another job. My advice, smile, brush up on your people skills and smile again. Don't be afraid to look stupid, ask the stupid questions, conduct as many interviews as possible. Then, initially, I would accept any job until you find that real job. While working at that initial job, apply and interview. Push really hard and smile!
Here are just a few sites:
usajobs
militaryhire.com
militaryone.com
your chosen state, go to their gov pages for job listing
your chosen city, go to city pages for job listing
monster
Good luck!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
You sound like the kind of person employers would be interested in.
I agree, it is time to "toot your own horn", or maybe get a professional resume writer to write your resume for you.
I wish you the best of luck and also thank you for your service.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Find someone [a civilian] in an IT department somewhere. Ideally a highschool buddy. Ask him to sit with you to go over your resume, maybe even with friends of his in that industry.

Not that you want them to hook you up with a job. But they are currently 'doing it', and you want to 'do it'; so what does your resume need to say.

Let them tweak your resume so that they understand what it says, and so that it makes you marketable in their industry. Them let them give you connections for who to give your resume to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues