Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnr0810 View Post
I have a associate degree and want to enlist in the army but in 2006 got charged with a felony and plead to misdeamonor charge. What are the chances I can get my waiver approve? Thanks
Why don't you just say you were convicted of a misdemeanor? Or you plead guilty of misdemeanor.

Go see an Army recruiter... United States Army Recruiting Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Why don't you just say you were convicted of a misdemeanor? Or you plead guilty of misdemeanor.

Go see an Army recruiter... United States Army Recruiting Information
Because he has to disclose he was charged with a felony and it was plead to a lesser charge. He would be guilty of a fraudulent enlistment as soon as it is discovered on a security clearance or any other time his police records are pulled.

As a Navy Recruiter it was mandatory that I provided all police records and court records on any charge which would have showed the felony charge which would have disqualified him since it was a plea agreement to a lesser charge. He never would have made it to MEPS in a Navy Office, not sure how the Army is handing these things now but I do know he has to disclose it was a felony charge.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Because he has to disclose he was charged with a felony
He has to disclose what they ask...

This is what is on the current Standard Form 86:

Quote:
Have any of the following happened? (If 'Yes' you will be asked to provide details for each offense that
pertains to the actions that are identified below.

- In the past seven (7) years
have you been issued a summons, citation, or ticket to appear in court in a criminal proceeding
against you? (Do not check if all the citations involved traffic infractions where the fine was less than $300 and did not include
alcohol or drugs)
-
In the past seven (7) years
have you been arrested by any police officer, sheriff, marshal or any other type of law enforcement
official?
-
have you been charged, convicted, or sentenced of a crime in any court? (Include all qualifying
charges convictions or sentences in any Federal, state, local, military, or non-U.S. court, even if previously listed on this form).
-
have you been or are you currently on probation or parole?

- Are you currently on trial or awaiting a trial on criminal charges
You, or I nor anyone else here can answer the question.

He needs to go see a recruiter.

And he has to disclose what they ask...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnr0810 View Post
I have a associate degree and want to enlist in the army but in 2006 got charged with a felony and plead to misdeamanor charge. What are the chances I can get my waiver approve? Thanks
You have to disclose you were charged with a felony- they'll find out when they do a records check on you. You didn't provide the specifics of how your case progressed but if you had to do something like community service to get it changed to a misdemeanor charge, the Army will treat your charge as a felony-- you need a felony waiver. Chances of the the recruiter processing a felony waiver is extremely low. Assuming the recruiting comany commander and battalion commander recommend approval, I don't see USAREC approving it.

Talk to a recruiter and be honest with them. If you hide information or deceive them, it will come back to haunt you.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
He has to disclose what they ask...

This is what is on the current Standard Form 86:

You, or I nor anyone else here can answer the question.

He needs to go see a recruiter.

And he has to disclose what they ask...
The SF-86 is the document that is submitted for the background check to the DoD Office of Personnel Management. That document does not determine your enlistment eligibility. Each service has their own regulations on what they will and will not accept and those enlistment suitability questions are asked during the initial qualification stage (known as blueprinting to a recruiter). Enlistment eligibility isn't determined based on the last seven years of ones police, drug, medical, education, etc. history asked on the SF-86.

Any felony charge has to be disclosed regardless of when it occurred or how it was adjudicated.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Moderator cut: Comment is removed. We don't need the obscene or implied obscene words/comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm glad you're not an Officer I serve with or I would have to square you away. Serving your country during two wars (recession or not) should never be referred to as "camping out". From the sound of your post, you're a junior officer who has a lot to learn and if you want to gain the trust and respect of your Soldiers I'd learn quick and not be running your mouth with this nonsense.
AMEN!!!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-07-2014 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Removed comment

Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 21,883 times
Yes, I have two more misdemeanor charges in 2007 and 2012.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
You are not getting in. Come to terms with it and move on. Besides asking you, they will do both a police background and LiveScan fingerprint check before you ever make it to MEPS. Anything that pops on there will have to have all court documentation provided.

From an Army officer "recruiter" (that works with USAREC recruiters constantly...including background checks on my cadets).

Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 AM

The recruiter knows about my criminal history, all I am asking is what are my chances of getting a criminal waiver. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM

I disclose all of my dispositions with the recruiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues