Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, as someone who has not seen what is/has/currently in the Army...I would say you are wrong....

Signing up for the AF and actually going in are 2 completely different items...and right now....to me...a 3.5, will do nothing for you...will it get you hired maybe...but right now in the AF..I'm pretty sure there is a waiting list to get in...

Maybe you have not seen where 1 in 4 cannot pass a ASVAB....or are over weight....

What about the mother who is saying....to the recruiter....you killed my son because you (the recruiter) said he was to fat....and needs to loose weight to join...

Really...wake up and look at the children these days....are all bad...NOPE, I have meet a lot of young men that I would be willing to sponsor into the military....a lot I would not even come close to....

I'm sorry you disagree with me...and I'm sure many do....

BUT, as a person who knows many recruiter's...and being retired (in 2009) after 21 years...I believe I have a VERY good knowledge of what is attempting to come into the Army/military...

Maybe just maybe take a look at the other threads in this section and read....

My classmate got in as of 2004 and has had pictures taken of him on a Cruiser. I took physics back in High School.

Yes, I have seen girls who cannot pass the ASVAB. I put them out of mind. I got an 88,91,91,91 with each recruiter I took a practice with.

Sure, there is a lot of riff raff trying to get in, but they seriously aren't getting to go to boot camp. With a draft, this same riff raff would have to be shifted through anyways.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:06 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
My classmate got in as of 2004 and has had pictures taken of him on a Cruiser. I took physics back in High School.

Yes, I have seen girls who cannot pass the ASVAB. I put them out of mind. I got an 88,91,91,91 with each recruiter I took a practice with.

Sure, there is a lot of riff raff trying to get in, but they seriously aren't getting to go to boot camp. With a draft, this same riff raff would have to be shifted through anyways.
WOW, 2004....really....

Look we can sit here and discuss this and bring up point after point...

2004 was just the beginning.....now, 7 YEARS later...do you think the same standards apply?

So, you made a top of 91.....well, back in 1988..I made a 96 with a GT score of 116...so....please talk some more...

Are you in, now...or did you just take the test..and you took it 4 times...why? Just because?

Your not holding any weight here...because of what you made back in 2004....means nothing....really...

Quote:
Here is where I have a big problem with your statement, since 2004...I have know people who have had a criminal record and STILL made it into the Army....dealing with Aviation...

Also, a DRAFT is not like "someone trying to get in" they are going in....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
WOW, 2004....really....

Look we can sit here and discuss this and bring up point after point...

2004 was just the beginning.....now, 7 YEARS later...do you think the same standards apply?

So, you made a top of 91.....well, back in 1988..I made a 96 with a GT score of 116...so....please talk some more...

Are you in, now...or did you just take the test..and you took it 4 times...why? Just because?

Your not holding any weight here...because of what you made back in 2004....means nothing....really...

Here is where I have a big problem with your statement, since 2004...I have know people who have had a criminal record and STILL made it into the Army....dealing with Aviation...

Also, a DRAFT is not like "someone trying to get in" they are going in....

Wait, so with a draft even if they are unqualified they can still get in?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Wait, so with a draft even if they are unqualified they can still get in?
I was drafted. They needed people, so they drafted them. There was no ASVAB score/test at that time, there were other tests...

To answer your question, "No". Life does not just continue like a 60 minute TV show. It gets complicated. What you heard last year or last week or what you heard while sitting on a crapper may not be true or may not be the case anymore...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-29-2011 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The problem I see is the same people being asked to complete one deployment after antoher especailly ground forces.That isn't good for anyoe to do. While on on eside the draft I saw had many deadheads who were unfit and then their is the constant deployemnt . Maybe something like certain forces only being for so many years ;such as four.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
As Poncho_NM said....things change on a constant basis....

Heck, we had 5 or 6 uniforms in a matte of 4 years...and that is not counting the dress greens....and that is from about 2004 through 2009.

First the ACU, then you had the upgraded version of that...
Then, the A2CU, the flight version of the ACU....I had to have all sets....I could not use the A2CU when the ACU was being worn....even though they were made to be identical....except the A2CU has zippers...and I believe they were on version 3 when i retired.

Anyway, that was my opinion about the kids, nothing more nothing less....Go to a local mall....see how many pairs of underwear you can see ON GUYS....cause there pants are down at their knees....

BTW thats not a RACE thing either..so don't bring that up....

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
As Poncho_NM said....things change on a constant basis....

Heck, we had 5 or 6 uniforms in a matte of 4 years...and that is not counting the dress greens....and that is from about 2004 through 2009.

First the ACU, then you had the upgraded version of that...
Before the ACU was the BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) and before that was the fatigues (first cotton, then wash-n-wear).

Even the draft changed, somewhere along the line the draft had a lottery... I did not pay attention to how the lottery worked as I was already in the Army...

Rich

Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I was drafted in 1966. I did my two years and took another 4.

Today, for anyone to bring back the draft would be political suicide.

Personally I think service is good for some, bad for others.
And not all wars are worth fighting, don't even attempt to kid yourself.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:

Sure, there is a lot of riff raff trying to get in, but they seriously aren't getting to go to boot camp.
When I was recruited by the Army in Houston in 2002, I knew of plenty of people who would intentionally fail the ASVAB just so they could get the recruiter off their backs.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
When I was recruited by the Army in Houston in 2002, I knew of plenty of people who would intentionally fail the ASVAB just so they could get the recruiter off their backs.
That is a bit different than the draft, which ended about 37 years ago...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues