Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

The military should be used as one means in which immigrants can gain citizenship. They are trained and committed to service for a number of years, trained and educated, then offered citizenship once their commitment is over.

I don't expect there to be a draft again, especially with so many worthless young people around who declare their willingness to join military life by being in gangs.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Reinstating the draft is a disingenuous ploy by pacifists to try to show some hypocrisy on the part of persons who support a well armed military. Todays' military is not interested in unwilling grunts who serve as cannon fodder like the military of 50 years ago. today people have to be trained to use complicated equipment and have skills to be in actual combat. If there is a need for military personnel that is not being filled by volunteerism it is a lot more cost effective to raise the pay for those simple jobs that do not require skills and the volunteers will come. Draft - hogwash.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The military should be used as one means in which immigrants can gain citizenship. They are trained and committed to service for a number of years, trained and educated, then offered citizenship once their commitment is over.
Already being done. Members of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents (spouses and children) may be eligible for citizenship, to include expedited and overseas processing, under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA): USCIS - Citizenship for Military Personnel & Family Members

Rich

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

I don't expect there to be a draft again, especially with so many worthless young people around who declare their willingness to join military life by being in gangs.

Not quite a new idea but I am not sure how long or if it has been done recently.
I knew some that served to get citizenship after being caught here in the 60s while I served. And I know an older man that did the same thing during the mid 50s that came from Ecuador illegally during the late 40s.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Obtaining citizenship by serving in the military, was not an absolute giveaway, some of the requirements were reduced. I had a friend who had a foreign wife, they were never stationed in the U.S. long enough for her to meet the residency requirement of what I think was five years. That is one item which has been changed.

Some people do not realize during the days of the draft, foreigners with U.S. residency could be drafted. We had a drafted former British Officer who was in our boot camp platoon. He was real old, he was even old enough to rent a car, about 30 as I recall....

Rich

Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is a bit different than the draft, which ended about 37 years ago...

Rich
I know that. I was responding to a previous post with references to people failing the ASVAB and commented how sometimes the "failing" is actually intentional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues