Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,592 times

Advertisements

i am a new single mother in the military been in for 3 years. my little girl was born on feb 11, 2011. i am still yet to be paid bah and having a rough time surving on my pay when will my pay change? i also just made rank to e4 in december i have yet to see that pay raise either. i am also going through a divorce been in the process of the divorce for know a year. my soon to be ex husband is not the father. i put her on my deer and i am paying her tricare does his pay change and not mine? there is not a fathers name on the birth certificate. the father of my little girl is starting to pay child support and helping support the child. i am up for orders in a year. the father of my child is a Marine and is depolying in august. when i start to look for orders does it matter where i go? do i have to stay within driving range or am i at the need of the military? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Go talk to finance. Also unless you're married you're pretty much at their mercy.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyperry View Post
i am a new single mother in the military been in for 3 years. my little girl was born on feb 11, 2011. i am still yet to be paid bah and having a rough time surving on my pay when will my pay change? i also just made rank to e4 in december i have yet to see that pay raise either. i am also going through a divorce been in the process of the divorce for know a year. my soon to be ex husband is not the father. i put her on my deer and i am paying her tricare does his pay change and not mine? there is not a fathers name on the birth certificate. the father of my little girl is starting to pay child support and helping support the child. i am up for orders in a year. the father of my child is a Marine and is depolying in august. when i start to look for orders does it matter where i go? do i have to stay within driving range or am i at the need of the military? please help
What are you wanting to do? Have you been in touch with your Chief; Chief's Wife; your Division Officer; President of the Enlisted Wives' Club. I would think either one of them will guide you through this.
I'm retired Military myself and if none of the above will or have not assisted you, then DM me and I will attempt to assist you with speaking to JAG, if you need him to assist with getting the child support.
If the young Marine has already begun to pay child support - do not get the system involved, it will make his life miserable and if you have any type of relationship, that will *%$k it up royally.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Concerning your pay only your dispersing clerk can answer those questions.

Having the father's name on the birth certificate may be a key element in maintaining child-support once the two of you are stationed in different locations. You may need to speak with base-legal about that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Have you seen your finance officer? If not, I would suggest you get an appointment and take all appropriate documentation such as birth certificate, proof of promotion, and les for the time in question.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Why are you paying for her TriCare? Did you opt for Tricare Standard? - this has some costs associated with it. Tricare Prime is free - if things are this tight, you should look into it.

It can take 1-2 months for the BAH to change. It can take 4-6 months for promotion pay to kick in.

As to what orders you can accept, this will be affected by your child visitation agreement and also by who will be the main guardian of your child - you will need to live close to, if not with, the child's designated guardian.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyperry View Post
i am a new single mother in the military been in for 3 years. my little girl was born on feb 11, 2011. i am still yet to be paid bah and having a rough time surving on my pay when will my pay change?
i also just made rank to e4 in december i have yet to see that pay raise either. i am also going through a divorce been in the process of the divorce for know a year. my soon to be ex husband is not the father. i put her on my deer and i am paying her tricare does his pay change and not mine? there is not a fathers name on the birth certificate. the father of my little girl is starting to pay child support and helping support the child. i am up for orders in a year. the father of my child is a Marine and is depolying in august. when i start to look for orders does it matter where i go? do i have to stay within driving range or am i at the need of the military? please help

The fact that you are in San Diego, and specifically noted that you child's father is a Marine leads me to believe you are in the Navy. The fact that you say you are/were married and have only been in 3 yrs leads me to believe you may live in military housing. Though you may have moved into BEQ while undergoing your divorce. Correct me if I'm wrong on any accounts. Based on this, the following may be your issues.

1. Promotion: Were you actually promoted or were you frocked? Once you reach the NCO ranks in the Navy you mat be awarded the insiginia and authority of the higher grade, but not the pay until your line number comes up. If you weren't frocked perhaps admin did the paperwork like you were.

2. Tricare: Go back to DEERS and ensure that you enrolled in Tricare Prime. If they have you enrolled in dental, which you would pay for, disenroll. A newborn doesn't need it.

3. If you are in military housing, you will not get BAH. I know typically in the Marine Corps something must be in the pay system something must be in somewhere around the 7th, IIRC, in order to see it in your next months pay. The 15th deposit is your first payment of the month. The 1st is the second. The earliest possible you could see the BAH is March 15th. It will be back dated until 11th, though. I think there maybe a date around the 21st to get things in for the 1st, but depending on when you went to DEERS you may have missed that deadline as well.

On a side note, every command I've been in typically moves pregnant Marines out of the barracks at 6-8 months depending on the pregnancy. Why weren't you already out of single quarters and collecting BAH? Another thing that leads me to believe you may reside in military housing.

4. Your child's father location will not affect your orders. You may be able to influence where you are stationed based on where he is stationed though. The only way it will directly influence if you get his name put on the birth certificate and put him on court ordered child support w/o also getting court documents saying you have 100% full custody. In that case you would not be able to take your child overseas without her father signing off on the passport. If he refused, the Navy could still give you orders overseas and tell you to find someone to look after your child. You could refuse the orders, but then forget re-enlisting or ever trying to get back in. Typically if you refuse orders the only way to get back in is to accept the ones you refused.

5. To protect yourself, the father and the child. You need to get a receipt book and give him a receipt every time he pays you child support. It protects you if he ever decides to stop paying and will move the process along faster if he wakes up one day and decides he's not the father or is just tired of paying. It protects him if you ever decide he's not paying enough and you want to take him to court for more or if he decides he wants a bigger role in her life and you are against it at that time for whatever reason. No need at this time to put him on court ordered, though.

6. As a member of the Navy or Marines you can request mast. Complaint Processes (Request Mast) ( and in case you are a Marine: http://usmc.mil/news/publications/Documents/NAVMC%20DIR%201700.23F.pdf (broken link) )

Make sure you use your chain of command and all available resources before doing this. But if you feel like you aren't being helped, don't hesitate to use it.

Here are some resources to help you out, to include rent, while you get everything sorted:

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Locations within the United States: San Diego, Calif., Area
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Locations within the United States: Camp Pendleton, Calif., Area

San Diego Navy - Fleet & Family Child Programs New Parent Support - Naval Base San Diego, Naval Base Coronado, Naval Base Point Loma

MCCS - New Parent Support Program (http://www.mccscp.com/home/Family-Services/counseling/new_parent_support_program.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Have the blood work done, put his name on the birth certificate. Get a court order for the child support. It is business, think about 10 years into the future...and if he is killed, that way the child is eligible for benefits through the Father.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The fact that you are in San Diego, and specifically noted that you child's father is a Marine leads me to believe you are in the Navy. The fact that you say you are/were married and have only been in 3 yrs leads me to believe you may live in military housing. Though you may have moved into BEQ while undergoing your divorce. Correct me if I'm wrong on any accounts. Based on this, the following may be your issues.

1. Promotion: Were you actually promoted or were you frocked? Once you reach the NCO ranks in the Navy you mat be awarded the insiginia and authority of the higher grade, but not the pay until your line number comes up. If you weren't frocked perhaps admin did the paperwork like you were.

2. Tricare: Go back to DEERS and ensure that you enrolled in Tricare Prime. If they have you enrolled in dental, which you would pay for, disenroll. A newborn doesn't need it.

3. If you are in military housing, you will not get BAH. I know typically in the Marine Corps something must be in the pay system something must be in somewhere around the 7th, IIRC, in order to see it in your next months pay. The 15th deposit is your first payment of the month. The 1st is the second. The earliest possible you could see the BAH is March 15th. It will be back dated until 11th, though. I think there maybe a date around the 21st to get things in for the 1st, but depending on when you went to DEERS you may have missed that deadline as well.

On a side note, every command I've been in typically moves pregnant Marines out of the barracks at 6-8 months depending on the pregnancy. Why weren't you already out of single quarters and collecting BAH? Another thing that leads me to believe you may reside in military housing.

4. Your child's father location will not affect your orders. You may be able to influence where you are stationed based on where he is stationed though. The only way it will directly influence if you get his name put on the birth certificate and put him on court ordered child support w/o also getting court documents saying you have 100% full custody. In that case you would not be able to take your child overseas without her father signing off on the passport. If he refused, the Navy could still give you orders overseas and tell you to find someone to look after your child. You could refuse the orders, but then forget re-enlisting or ever trying to get back in. Typically if you refuse orders the only way to get back in is to accept the ones you refused.

5. To protect yourself, the father and the child. You need to get a receipt book and give him a receipt every time he pays you child support. It protects you if he ever decides to stop paying and will move the process along faster if he wakes up one day and decides he's not the father or is just tired of paying. It protects him if you ever decide he's not paying enough and you want to take him to court for more or if he decides he wants a bigger role in her life and you are against it at that time for whatever reason. No need at this time to put him on court ordered, though.

6. As a member of the Navy or Marines you can request mast. Complaint Processes (Request Mast) ( and in case you are a Marine: http://usmc.mil/news/publications/Documents/NAVMC%20DIR%201700.23F.pdf (broken link) )

Make sure you use your chain of command and all available resources before doing this. But if you feel like you aren't being helped, don't hesitate to use it.

Here are some resources to help you out, to include rent, while you get everything sorted:

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Locations within the United States: San Diego, Calif., Area
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Locations within the United States: Camp Pendleton, Calif., Area

San Diego Navy - Fleet & Family Child Programs New Parent Support - Naval Base San Diego, Naval Base Coronado, Naval Base Point Loma

MCCS - New Parent Support Program (http://www.mccscp.com/home/Family-Services/counseling/new_parent_support_program.aspx - broken link)

Yes i am in the NAVY. thou i dont reside in military housing im moving in to military houseing as soon as something that comes available.i have resided out in town since i found out i was pregnant. i also did not move in to BEQs i went on deployment shortly after finding out that i was getting divorced so had no need to. i was frocked in december and have been waiting ever since for my pay to change and i was awarded the rank of a NCO. the TRICARE and DEERS i enrolled her on mine which brings me to my next question Due to the fact that my divorce isnt finallized yet and he is a higher paygrade then me will his pay change and not mine? i enrolled her the day after she was discharged from the hospital which was the 13th of Feb. TRICARE said that i have no need to enroll her for 60 days i beleive. because of the new baby rule. i plan on enrolling her on TRICARE:PRIME as soon as i get back. as of right know i have 100% custudy. i want to be stationed in washington when im fit for full duty agian. the father is going to be stationed in san diego for the next 3 to 4 years. i get that im at the needs of the military but if get to be stationed in washington is it going to cause a problem with anything. his child support has been agreed on between me and him its done by direct dipoist thou DFAS, his name is getting added in July to the birth certificate. i do plan on reenlisting thou i dont plan on going overseas unless is for a IA assignment i just dont want any trouble with reenlisting and being relocated to my next duty station.

thank you for your help and all the much needed links

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Having a child does not affect pay, only as a far as you get BAH w/ dependents rate. Vice no BAH if you live in the BEQ or BAH/own right if you were already authorized to live out in town. It sounds like your BAH problem may stem from you moving out in town before you rated BAH and then not applying for it until your child was born. Based on when your child was born your entitlements should hit on tomorrows paycheck. If they haven't go see your S1 first and they will either handle it or refer you to finance, IPAC, CPAC or whoever is designated among teh administrators of your base to handle that issue. I know nobody wants to be seen around there work section while onmaternity leave, but you need to take care of yourself and your child. Get your SNCOIC or whatever NCO you answer to involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues