Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I have not chosen a rate, but I suspect I will be a private. I am single, no dependents.
There are no "privates" in the Navy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
We had a burned out stoner on my first ship. We made him cry by convincing him Iron Maiden and Metalica died in a plane crash (this was 1992). He was on lower level watch on night when he went missing on watch. We searched high and low for him. We were almost ready to call man overboard when I saw his head peek out from behind the main condenser seawater discharge pipe (about as big around as the trunk of a large tree) in the bilge. I looked at him and said "pauly?". First words out his mouth were, "I wasn't beating off". He caught he'll for that for weeks.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Nuke or conventional?

If conventional

Comm or radar?
Conventional, Comm.

Retired in '96. Went to work in a silicon plant repairing and programming inductive furnaces. Moved to a steel mill doing more of the same. Went to work as a UPS tech for a manufacturer, and moved on to a power systems company. Odd how it evolved over time.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
By the way, when I went on my first Sea Trials/Training on the Destroyer, I also went thru the "jokes" thing.......Seabat, Mail Buoy Watch and Bucket of Steam.
Seabat: New SA is called up on deck at night to see a seabat caught under a pail. As a sailor holds a flashlight, the SA onboard gently lifts the side of the bucket up to take a short peak ("don't want the dang thing to fly away" the SA is told) and two sailors step out of the dark and swat the SA on the butt with brooms! Bingo.....Seabat!
Mail Buoy Watch: New SA is told to put on the radio and binoculars that are on laying on the wench on the Bow and keep an eye out for the Mail Buoy. Only thing is, there is NO such thing and the SA is finally told that after some time of watching for one!
Bucket of Steam: New SA is told to go to the Boiler Room and get a bucket of steam. So, down to the Boiler Room he goes and asks one of the sailors there for the steam. What does the SA get......laughed at a whole lot and called a "dumba**"!
Oh yea, those fun times of being new (right out of Boot) on a ship!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Yeah there were always some good pranks to be played onboard to relieve some stress!

When i was on the USS America we were down at Haiti when all that was going on and president Carter saved the day. We were on station like 45-55 days ( i dont really remember how long but it was well over a month) and one of our IC3's was due to seperate. This was one of those types that loved to play pranks on people but he definately could not take it when the joke was on him.

Ic3 had been told that when Air ops had a flight for him they would call down and he would fly out to be processed for seperation. Well i knew he was waiting on that call so being the good shop supervisor that I was I had to play one last joke on him. I called my Chief on another phone and told him to call down and ask for me in a minute. IC3 was on watch and answered the phone. he took the call and handed the phone over to me when the Chief asked for me. i acted like we were having a conversation and ended with 'ok 12 noon in the crews lounge, I'll tell him". Then told IC3 his flight was ready and he needed to be in the crews lounge at noon in civilian clothes ready to fly off.

he jumped up yelling and happy as could be. He ran back to berthing and unknown to me he had just gotten a care package from his wife with cookies and candy and a whole assortment of goodies. he gave everything away! he made his rounds quickly and said goodbye to everyone and went to the lounge to wait. About 12:15 the Chief walked through there and saw him in civvies and asked what he was doing. He replied "chief you called down and told me to be here at noon ready to fly off" "no i didn't" the chief replied "you need to get changed and get back to work" haha

he was livid with me for the last 4 days he was there haha I told him he was just lucky I didnt prearrange it with a helo crew and have him strapped in a seat before we told him haha he was mostly mad that no one would give him anything back lol

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Worst prank I witnessed was done to a newly wedded Sailor from our ship's deck division. A few days after his honeymoon, our ship went to sea for a 3 day exercise. A few guys from his division pinned him down and gave him several "hickeys" on his neck and chest. I cannot imagine having to explain such a thing to a new wife. . ."but honey, I swear, it was the guys on the ship who did this to me." Crazy days those were.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Worst prank I witnessed was done to a newly wedded Sailor from our ship's deck division. A few days after his honeymoon, our ship went to sea for a 3 day exercise. A few guys from his division pinned him down and gave him several "hickeys" on his neck and chest. I cannot imagine having to explain such a thing to a new wife. . ."but honey, I swear, it was the guys on the ship who did this to me." Crazy days those were.
Yeah, I bet they all "hated" it too. hehe. Just like the guys who are a little too eager to dress up like a lady on Wog Day.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Sea Duty is pretty boring for the most part. Depending on your job it can be very boring or tiresome. The Engine Room people have it the worse.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Some engine room pranks
Senior chief told me inspectors were ready to inspect the MPA but we needed permission from Lt. To blow the MPA (main propulsion assistant, officer second in command of engineering dept). I told the Lt "senior chief <insert name> request permission to blow the MPA". senior chief wasn't happy but there wasn't anything he could do.
Keys to the main engines
Steam turbine engines don't need keys but some bootcamps don't know that. Some figure it out and go take a nap. We had one particular dumba** (we'll call him seaman recruit Smith) we had sweating buckets for over an hour trying to find those keys. Even went to the bridge, flight deck, deck dept, and even a Marine berthing.
Fallopian tubes
Sent a new guy to a tender (a repair ship that had women) to get some Fallopian tubes. He came back just before knock off and we asked him where were the Fallopian tubes? He said he had a date with them tonight.

About that Seaman Recruit Smith, he was a thief. He got caught stealing from his engineering dept. They restricted him to the ship and moved him to deck dept for his own protection. He got into an argument with his first class petty officer and pulled a knife on him. It was the PO1's personally ingrained knife. While he was restricted to the ship again, his wife began having an affair with his friend. When it was time to leave the ship and the Navy, master at arms sent two officers to ensure nothing happened to him, both were TAD (one from engineering and one from deck and both had had items stolen by him). Official story was that deck dept helped him pack his bag but it was so heavy that he fell back down the ladder. Unofficial story is that everyone got at least one good punch on him.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
One other thing about being on the ship: you get to watch a buttload of movies on the closed circuit system. One night I got up to use the head at zero dark thirty and Lethal Weapon 3 was just ending. The next movie was Full Metal Jacket. Within the first 5 minutes of that movie starting the viewing area went from 2 to 30 Marines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues