Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,497 times

Advertisements

As a um, *hypothetical*, would MEPS buy a story like "I was searching around for a painkiller to relieve the muscle soreness I was feeling from so much working out, and I tried a pill my friend gave me called Marinol or something" as an explanation for testing positive for THC, stated prior to testing of course? Or should I just disclose the fact that I smoked recently...? I heard that it caused some trouble for this guy who had investigators come around because he admitted to using weed, and may block you from getting security clearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky215 View Post
I heard that it caused some trouble for this guy who had investigators come around because he admitted to using weed, and may block you from getting security clearances.
Presenting a false security questionairre use to be 10 and 10 max under 10. $10,000 fine and/or 10 years imprisonment under Title 10 of the US Code...

I don't know what it is now, but lying and getting cause can be worse than the truth at times.

But the clincher is "I heard"... I'm an old man, when I hear "I heard" my brain shuts down and my feet move me away...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-14-2011 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
1. Tell the truth
2. Stop smoking weed
3. If you don't obey number 2, then please promise me you'll NEVER report for duty high. We didn't tolerate drunks in the engineroom and we wouldn't tolerate stoned sailors. You could get yourself and others killed while stoned or drunk on duty.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
If you used weed more than 5x (in some cases 3) and id you used weed less than a month from joining the DEP it could affect you getting a clearance. I kno trips to MEPS don't grown on trees, but the you should probably just wait 45 days before going to MEPs

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
No, they won't buy it. Did you know some drug tests even test for those 'teas' that are supposed to help you 'fake out' a drug test - because there is only ONE reason you'd have drunk it!

Be honest with your recruiter - they will 'pretest' you before you go to MEPS, so that you don't totally screw up your chances because of stupid/idiotic choices. And just another tip - when/if you DO get in, and you're on liberty, know that when you get back, you'll pee in a cup - and if you 'pop' you might be dishonorably discharged -or lose 2-3 months pay plus suspension of liberty for that time.

Don't be an idiot, in other words. If you're not done with the illegal stuff (if it's a scrip that's not yours and current, it's illegal too) then stay home until you can just be satisfied with getting drunk like all the other good soldiers and sailors.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Marinol is given to cancer patients and not a medicine given to help with muscle soreness. Doesn't matter what your excuse is they won't buy it. If you test positive - you test positive, goodbye. BTW, that won't be the last time you are tested - it's done randomly all the time. So might as well straighten up now and keep it that way.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Wow, and I was nervous about my allergies, glasses, or that I had braces back in high school.

You're out here on some weed stuff.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I know that for the USAF if you wrongfully use someone else's RX medications it is a lifetime ban. You are much better off having smoked weed.

Did you come up positive on the drug test at MEPS? If so, you are banned from life from all branches.

Weed only blocks security clearances if you USED IT, SAID YOU DIDN'T, and then they found out. It is not the weed, it is the LYING about the weed that screws up the security clearance.

Part of the security clearance purpose if for you to disclose ALL your secrets to the government so that terrorists can't use them to blackmail you. Say for example, you used crack, and you lied about it. Someone who knows you used crack can now blackmail you with threats to tell the government that you lied. If you lie about something like weed, which has no bearing on even joining the military, then do we really believe you are going to tell us the truth about the bigger and more important things?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I know that for the USAF if you wrongfully use someone else's RX medications it is a lifetime ban. You are much better off having smoked weed.

Did you come up positive on the drug test at MEPS? If so, you are banned from life from all branches.

Weed only blocks security clearances if you USED IT, SAID YOU DIDN'T, and then they found out. It is not the weed, it is the LYING about the weed that screws up the security clearance.

Part of the security clearance purpose if for you to disclose ALL your secrets to the government so that terrorists can't use them to blackmail you. Say for example, you used crack, and you lied about it. Someone who knows you used crack can now blackmail you with threats to tell the government that you lied. If you lie about something like weed, which has no bearing on even joining the military, then do we really believe you are going to tell us the truth about the bigger and more important things?

Is there a way to find out things that may come up in a background check that you don't know, but a company might?

Let's say you ended a job to finish college. You were supposed to take classes, but those would have interfered with you graduating. So, you graduate and you are not hired back on next season.(Part-time seasonal work) Is there a way to find out if you were officially fired and when?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Is there a way to find out things that may come up in a background check that you don't know, but a company might?

Let's say you ended a job to finish college. You were supposed to take classes, but those would have interfered with you graduating. So, you graduate and you are not hired back on next season.(Part-time seasonal work) Is there a way to find out if you were officially fired and when?
Check with the company you worked for. Call them up, ask personnel or HRO (Human Resources Office).

But you are about to run this thread off topic...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues