Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Our Navy bootcamp wasn't that extreme. The funniest punishments I suffered included going to the division sidewalk to wait to be punished along with about 6 or 8 others. The company commander walked out and said "we'll wait until we have an audience." Little while later, two squirrels showed up and he said, "OK, we have our audience so let's begin. Push-up position hut!". Those two squirrels didn't leave the entire time. The other punishment was when we were put into what would later become our lounge/break room. They exercised us until it was raining in the room from the sweat of our bodies evaporating and then condensing on the ceiling. This was Orlando, Florida. When it started to rain in the room, we were done. One particularly hard headed guy brought out our company commanders' creativity. First he had to hold a pencil,...one index finger on each end of the pencil with his arms straight out in front of him. Next time was holding his boondockers, one in each hand with his arms straight out to the side palms up. The most painful one for him was when they ordered him to make his dog tags stand at attention for three seconds. He had to do this with his dogtags out while in the pushup position. He had to slowly lower himself until his dogtag touched the floor and stood straight up without tipping over for three seconds. His arms were shaking like a chihuahua in a Green Bay winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Even in the good ones they can't seem to train the actors how to give a proper salute. That little detail always annoys me. How hard is it to train someone to give a crisp salute?
i agree! doesn't matter how much actual military hardware they have on-set or anything, they can't ever seem to get a salute correct. pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our Navy bootcamp wasn't that extreme. The funniest punishments I suffered included going to the division sidewalk to wait to be punished along with about 6 or 8 others. The company commander walked out and said "we'll wait until we have an audience." Little while later, two squirrels showed up and he said, "OK, we have our audience so let's begin. Push-up position hut!". Those two squirrels didn't leave the entire time. The other punishment was when we were put into what would later become our lounge/break room. They exercised us until it was raining in the room from the sweat of our bodies evaporating and then condensing on the ceiling. This was Orlando, Florida. When it started to rain in the room, we were done. One particularly hard headed guy brought out our company commanders' creativity. First he had to hold a pencil,...one index finger on each end of the pencil with his arms straight out in front of him. Next time was holding his boondockers, one in each hand with his arms straight out to the side palms up. The most painful one for him was when they ordered him to make his dog tags stand at attention for three seconds. He had to do this with his dogtags out while in the pushup position. He had to slowly lower himself until his dogtag touched the floor and stood straight up without tipping over for three seconds. His arms were shaking like a chihuahua in a Green Bay winter.
that sounds familiar. in usmc boot camp, one of the more common ITs was to hold your rifle out in front of you for long periods of time with your arms locked straight. if they were feeling particularly sadistic, they'd make you rack the bolt to the rear and hold it there without locking it in place while holding the rifle out at arms' length.

one of my favorites though was when we were out drilling, usually around the chow halls, and one of the DIs would catch you looking at another platoon of recruits somewhere. he'd tell you to go over to that platoon's DIs and let them know that you wanted to join their platoon.

Something like:

"This recruit wants to join your platoon, sir!"

"Is that right, recruit? Good. Get down and build me a house...."

Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i agree! doesn't matter how much actual military hardware they have on-set or anything, they can't ever seem to get a salute correct. pisses me off.

that sounds familiar. in usmc boot camp, one of the more common ITs was to hold your rifle out in front of you for long periods of time with your arms locked straight. if they were feeling particularly sadistic, they'd make you rack the bolt to the rear and hold it there without locking it in place while holding the rifle out at arms' length.

one of my favorites though was when we were out drilling, usually around the chow halls, and one of the DIs would catch you looking at another platoon of recruits somewhere. he'd tell you to go over to that platoon's DIs and let them know that you wanted to join their platoon.

Something like:

"This recruit wants to join your platoon, sir!"

"Is that right, recruit? Good. Get down and build me a house...."
Forgot about those ones. Another nice little torture method was making you drink all the required daily canteens one after another. It never bothered me 'cause I can drink a lot of anything but lots of others had problems with it.

One time, the DI had 4 or 5 of us all doing arm circles for a really long time. He was getting even with Recruit Dodd for something he had done. He kept asking "Are you gay, Dodd?" didn't let us stop until Dodd answered yes.

These are things that you will probably never see in a newer movie.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
It doesn't matter if I was never in an aviation unit nor lived through WWII, I think that 'Catch 22' most accurately sums up the absurdities of the military. (The book is much better, of course.)

Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Army Nurse here.

Good - China Beach.
Bad - MASH

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Army Nurse here.

Good - China Beach.
Bad - MASH
I have heard of China Beach, I keep meaning to get it into my Netflix queue.

I was overseas when it was popular.

Thank you for reminding me.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
was stationed in Hawaii while they were filming Tora Tora Tora ~ stood several ramp watches on the japanese planes~ 34 if I remember correctly.
they paid $12 for a 4 hour watch which was pretty good money.
the 1/2 scale battleship they had in the harbor~ upon investigation was the left (or port) 1/2

walked across ford field and looked over~ was surprised to find I was in the field with a lot of us aircraft~ plywood thin!

But it really was a very accurate portrayal of the attack on Pearl Harbor

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Army Nurse here.

Good - China Beach.
Bad - MASH
M*A*S*H? Really, you mean no one wanted to commit suicide so the other doctors faked a poison pill and had someone singing "Suicide is Painless" all in a convoluted effort to get the person to have sex so that they could get their groove back?

Huh, I would have thought that happened at least weekly.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Even in the good ones they can't seem to train the actors how to give a proper salute. That little detail always annoys me.
My gripe about a little wrong detail is one that has been in countless military films. It is about incorrect radio telephone procedure. Almost every time the guy says "over and out". This is a glaring error, an ambiguous statement that is never used. Over means I require a reply, out means this transmission is ended. During my Navy days a large part of my work was talking on an RT net, and procedures were very structured and disiplined. Perhaps things are different today, this is unknown to me, but back then things were very formal. Even today whenever I hear "over and out" I still wince. The effect is like the proverbial fingernails across the chalkboard. Some things from your service days stay with you forever, and this is one of them.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Even today whenever I hear "over and out" I still wince.
It applies to civilian aircraft communications also... Used in radio communication throughout the English-speaking world, and in international radio communication, where English is the primary language.
  • Over — I have finished talking and I am listening for your reply. Short for "Over to you."
  • Out — I have finished talking to you and do not expect a reply.

You say out when you have finished the transmission you started...

Using "Okee Dokee" to the offender might fix the problem for the future...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues