Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Yes, I have a bachelor's degree with over $10,000 in student loans. The recruiter told me if I accept the CLRP, I would not qualify for the GI Bill. Do you know if the CLRP can be applied to private student loans (through a bank, rather than through the Fed)? I'm leaning towards the CLRP, because I want to get out of debt more than anything. With the CLRP, and my very low COL on base, I could have most of my loans paid down by the end of my four year enlistment.
I don't know but according to below four years would only pay down $6,000. You need to find out from the Air Force. We have an Air Force recruiter who stops by here periodically, "dmarie" I believe.

Quote:
Student Loan Repayment Program
Air Force
The College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) is a program created for all non-prior service persons considering enlistment in the Air Force. If you have taken some college courses and have accumulated debt, this great program may be for you. Participants must sign up for this program when signing the enlistment contract. Under CLRP repayment maximum is $10,000 per recruit. Go to the "Education" section of the Air Force site (http://www.airforce.com/education/index.htm - broken link) for more details.

Air Force Eligibility Requirements
To find out how you can earn money for college with the Air Force, contact an advisor today.
Here is how it works:
After each completed year of active duty your service branch will make a payment of 33-1/3 percent or $1,500, whichever is greater, on the total remaining original unpaid principal balance.

Members of the U.S. Military are also eligible for either deferment or forbearance, click here to learn more. Or contact a Federal Student Aid Customer Service Representative for more information about how to manage your student loan debt at 1-800-848-0979 or visit the Federal Student Aid web page.

Click here (http://www.military.com/Careers/Education/0,13289,,00.html?loc=T - broken link)if you want more information on how to use your military benefits to return to school, finish your degree, and defer your outstanding Student Loans.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Quote:
I was speaking to the recruiter from the Air Force yesterday, and he talked briefly about the GI Bill. Apparently, there is up to $80k to use for education. Does anyone with experience in this know about the stipulations that exist in order to receive this? It seems like most of the veterans I know never got anywhere near that amount, if they received any money at all. In fact, I've also heard through the grapevine that the military doesn't actually have the money to pay out this money. Is there any validity to these claims?
I am currently using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and am a former recruiter. I know a good amount about the current GI Bill. The area you go to school will greatly affect the amount the GI Bill ends up being worth. The large number you often hear is assuming someone goes to school in an area where the E-5 BAH is a lot, such as San Francisco or Boston. The reason the GI Bill would be more in these areas is because when you go to school full time, you get E-5 BAH (housing allowance) for the area you live in. In my area (Iowa), the BAH is around $1100 a month, in Boston its around $2300. Plus, the GI Bill pays tuition at a rate up to the highest in state tuition price. What that means is if you choose to go to a private college, the tuition will be paid up to the highest in state tuition cost. So, in Iowa, the highest in state tuition is probably the University of Iowa. But if I choose to go to a local private college, which is much more costly than Iowa, the GI Bill would only pay the amount up to what the U of I costs, and the rest would come out of pocket.

So, all being said, if I were going to school in Boston, the BAH alone would total more than $80K over four years. On top of that, I would get the actual tuition and books paid for.

Hope this helped.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We need more information than what you are giving? Who turned you down, the college or the GI bill?

I have never had a problem, paid on time everytime....sometimes early....

The only thing I do not like about the current GI Bill is that I have to pay up front and then get reimbursed.....
The college turned me down in 1994 (first time). When I went through my chain and contacted Albany,they told me I wasn't eligible. I asked them why and never received a legit reply. I asked them if they had received all payments from me which they confirmed they did. Then I asked them why, and since then I have had years of the run around. I served a little over 7 years between active and reserve time. I was honorably discharged so not disqualification there as well. When I spoke to an attorney he told me to get in writing the denial and again they sent me a bs letter with very little info. It has been years now and I have already received my degree without any assistance but I am pissed off. At least, I want my money back that I paid in.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:46 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
also, when they say, "$80k" in education benefits," that is assuming many different programs that help with education. not just one.

here's a somewhat current list:
Money for School: Education Benefits | Military.com

when i was active duty, i used tuition assistance in order to take a class at valdosta state in georgia. my command made it hard though (they pulled me completely from the class during the last two weeks), but i still passed and therefore do not have to take any more math classes for either of the degrees that i am working on now with the GI bill (just finished chapter 30 and am now started on my one year of chapter 33).

i remember the drill instructors in usmc boot camp making recruits pay into the GI bill. many of the guys hadn't planned on it, but the DIs didn't give them the choice. i'm sure some of them, maybe even most of them, will never use it, but they have thousands of dollars at their disposal that they have already earned in more ways than one.

in my experience, paying into the GI bill is the best monetary investment i have ever made.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Did they give reason as to why they are not paying you? Is there something that can disqualify you?
Nothing at all but I was given no specific reason.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When I spoke to an attorney he told me to get in writing the denial and again they sent me a bs letter with very little info. It has been years now and I have already received my degree without any assistance but I am pissed off. At least, I want my money back that I paid in.
That's what you have a congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives for. Write to them with the facts: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Rich

Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
also, when they say, "$80k" in education benefits," that is assuming many different programs that help with education. not just one.

here's a somewhat current list:
Money for School: Education Benefits | Military.com

when i was active duty, i used tuition assistance in order to take a class at valdosta state in georgia. my command made it hard though (they pulled me completely from the class during the last two weeks), but i still passed and therefore do not have to take any more math classes for either of the degrees that i am working on now with the GI bill (just finished chapter 30 and am now started on my one year of chapter 33).

i remember the drill instructors in usmc boot camp making recruits pay into the GI bill. many of the guys hadn't planned on it, but the DIs didn't give them the choice. i'm sure some of them, maybe even most of them, will never use it, but they have thousands of dollars at their disposal that they have already earned in more ways than one.

in my experience, paying into the GI bill is the best monetary investment i have ever made.
Yes and no. While you can use tuition assistance while in the military, the new GI Bill can be worth well over $100,000. The number is mainly a recruiting tool used to attract more applicants.

The new GI Bill pays E-5 BAH, $1,000 per year book stipend, and can be transferred to dependents.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Yes and no. While you can use tuition assistance while in the military, the new GI Bill can be worth well over $100,000. The number is mainly a recruiting tool used to attract more applicants.

The new GI Bill pays E-5 BAH, $1,000 per year book stipend, and can be transferred to dependents.
IIRC only after you use it.

Won't let a buddy of mine let his wife use it b/c he has no degree (And doesn't want it)

Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I think you are talking out different education programs. The GI Bill and
The College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) which is for all non-prior-service persons considering enlistment in the Air Force. If you have taken some college courses and have accumulated debt, this program may be for you. Participants must sign up for this program when signing the enlistment contract. Under CLRP the repayment maximum is $10,000 per recruit.

Which I guess it can depend on some issues. For example, do you already owe $10,000 for college expenses? If not, I would not start getting into debt hoping you would go in. All the services offer a variety of education programs.

Rich
Rich, is this specific to the AF? My daughter is at Army Basic right now and she signed up for the CLRP - they will pay way more than $10k, in three installments beginning the anniversary of her 1st year of full service.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Rich, is this specific to the AF? My daughter is at Army Basic right now and she signed up for the CLRP - they will pay way more than $10k, in three installments beginning the anniversary of her 1st year of full service.
The College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) is authorized by Congress and each service has leeway on how much money it can pay out. It is not an entitlement like the GI Bill, but a recruitment tool.

Each service has a variety of benefits...

I am retired Army and good luck to your daughter!

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues