Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times

Advertisements

In a related uniform "faux pas"; Former USAF Chief of Staff Merrill "Tony" McPeak decided that the Aircrew Name Plate would replace the normal name and USAF sewn-on strips on BDUs. That idea was also wrong-headed, IMHO. Especially when wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. Fortunately, GEN Fogelman quickly rescinded that (as well as McPeak's other disaster, the Composite Wing) as soon as he was in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
In a related uniform "faux pas"; Former USAF Chief of Staff Merrill "Tony" McPeak decided that the Aircrew Name Plate would replace the normal name and USAF sewn-on strips on BDUs. That idea was also wrong-headed, IMHO. Especially when wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. Fortunately, GEN Fogelman quickly rescinded that (as well as McPeak's other disaster, the Composite Wing) as soon as he was in charge.
If you are riding in the passenger side (as most/all officers do) then the seat belt crosses over the name plate on a normal uniform. Since this is all he was use to, it obviously did not occur to him that the driver's side belt was different. Maybe the name plate on the opposite side should be an officer regulation only...

Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM

175 posts, read 302,505 times
Good, now I can only hope that the next step is to get rid of the ACUs and go to multi-cam. I am deployed right now and the multi-cam is not only more comfortable than the ACU (in my opinion anyway) but it is also a lot more practical for out here. I don't want to go back to garrison and have to wear ACUs again. ACUs really do look ridiculous overseas especially when directly compared to the multi-cam. We passed a whole bunch of fellow Soldiers who were heading back to the States at the hold-over points on our way to our FOBs/COBs/COPs and they were in ACUs while we were in multi-cams and they just looked out of place despite the fact that we've been using the ACUs longer. I'm glad they're putting buttons on the pockets and sew-on patches for the ACUs but instead of spending money to improve the old ACUs, I'd prefer them to fully integrate to the multi-cam for garrison too.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
I never understood the velcro either.. you are trying to be quite and riiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppp there goes your cover... The patches/name plates just seemed to easy to get caught on something and lose.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I never understood the velcro either.. you are trying to be quite and riiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppp there goes your cover... The patches/name plates just seemed to easy to get caught on something and lose.
Well for that matter subdued patches are strange. Patches were invented so that you could identify your own people in battle. Then again the Air Force went to a Tiger Suit which is really only Camoflage when you are lying down, and that Navy Cammie has me totally confused. my son says it is so the sharks won't see you.

Well I didn't like Berets anyway, they look much better now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues