Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,601,871 times

Advertisements

After a tour in recruiting I can't tell you how many applicants came to me wanting to be Special forces, Ranger, Delta Force Seal, Recons yet I wasn't at all sure they would get through basic.
The applicant seems intent on serving some other country rather than getting a High Scool Diploma but my advice to him would be to try to get in the Army and prove that he can get through basic and ait, then tell someone about all that other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM

160 posts, read 348,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
hi. I really want to join the French Foreign Legion because i hear that they are the toughest (about the same as U.S. Special forces)
Jim,
Just join the finest and most capable, professional military in the world: The US Military. Each branch has something different to offer and each one can offer you tough training that will weed out most people trying.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM

467 posts, read 1,518,167 times
LOL. That always bothers me. From my time in the service, the guys who had the biggest ambitions (and talked about them to anyone who would listen) did not end up with the sort of future they envisioned.

Walk, then run. Keep your head down and work hard. Success in the military comes from teamwork and hard work, not being "elite". I have a business associate who tried to get into a very selective military program, but was color blind, so was disqualified. I did get into that program and did quite well. However, my friend ended up going a lot further in his military career (E-1 to E-8 to LDO LCDR - a technical expert regularly consulted by flag officers) - he was a superstar in his job and stood head and shoulders above his peers. I did well, but when everyone is top 10%, being a true superstar is almost impossible.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,645,761 times
If I were a recruiter or supervisor in ANY of the services mentioned, I would have some reservations about the OP. He's not willing to take a few classes in order to serve in the U.S. and that shows some laziness and a desire to take the easy way out. Obviously those are not traits that fit in well in the military.

I agree with the two posters above me. Do what you have to do to serve in any capacity first. Prove yourself and then see what you can do.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 PM

30 posts, read 103,705 times
short on money. Not lazy.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,159,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
i want to join the group that sees more combat. I want to save lives and stop terrorists. Which has the better training? Also is the IDF infantry more trained, equal, or less trained than the USMC infantry? I wanted to go for the USMC initially, but was rejected cause i have no high school diploma. Is the IDF training similar to the USMC? Im thinking bout joining the idf mahal program and learning hebrew with a free army ulpan(hebrew class). Any advice i'd really appreciate. Thanks!
you cannot join the the US army without a high school diploma or GED and if you are going to the trouble of learning hebrew and move to isreal would it not make sense to go get your GED in the US and get 2 years of college education.

Plus wanting to see the most combat is not the reason people join the military most join to serve and protect their country. Plus having someone who thinks they are Rambo is not what the military wants because it puts fellow troops at risk.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,159,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
After a tour in recruiting I can't tell you how many applicants came to me wanting to be Special forces, Ranger, Delta Force Seal, Recons yet I wasn't at all sure they would get through basic.
The applicant seems intent on serving some other country rather than getting a High Scool Diploma but my advice to him would be to try to get in the Army and prove that he can get through basic and ait, then tell someone about all that other stuff.
that like the Airforce recruiters where a person says fighter pilot but have no college or university where the truth is well in the CF you need a minimum a bachelor's degree and have some of the best grades before even applying since the air force selects fighter pilots from a pool of all-around elite candidates.

the Special forces, Rangers, Navy Seals are picked and plus the USMC has a drop out rate of 40,000 a year in basic. So, the OP not willing putting the in effort to get his GED.

If he Can't take take night classes at a comminty college then he would be in for quite a shock at Basic

Old 07-30-2011, 04:11 PM

221 posts, read 654,842 times
FFL arn't really fighting against terrorists..... more like African insurgents. Just for the record I do NOT consider Taliban to be terrorists.

In the IDF you'll be fighting Hamas(terrorists).

Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,601,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
FFL arn't really fighting against terrorists..... more like African insurgents. Just for the record I do NOT consider Taliban to be terrorists.

In the IDF you'll be fighting Hamas(terrorists).
Hamas includes Christians, every ELECTED Christian member of the Palestinian Parliment was Hamas

Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,144,327 times
Never served so feel free to discount my thoughts.

First send out an e-mail to see if either service will accept you with your eyesight. The corrective lens required might disqualify you from one service or the other no matter your other physical attributes.

Then think long and hard about whether or not being Jewish might be a really important thing in your life in the future if it is not now. If the answer is yes go for the IDF since the FFL won't be able to replicate the kind of meaning serving in the IDF would have for you.

If the answer is no look up the price of plane tickets to Isreal and Paris. Go to the cheaper one first, and if they don't take you go to the next one. If that doesn't work out get a loan from a bank to cover the tuition needed to get enough college time to join the USMC then pay it back when you're in the service with GI bill benefits (job benefit so part of your pay not something you're getting for free) or pay it back out of your pay (again not free).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues