Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which branch should i join
army 8 18.60%
navy 10 23.26%
air force 18 41.86%
u.s.m.c 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM

16 posts, read 114,041 times

Advertisements

i just graduated not to long ago, and i feel very ambitious in join the armed services. but i really dont know which branch to join . at first i wanted to join the army then chicken out because everyone had something bad to say about them , then the air force came to light then i had a weird interest in becoming a marine and the navy caught my interest also . im confused , and want to make a decision as soon as possible. want a fresh start in life and the military really provides the challenge for me to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingx00 View Post
but i really dont know which branch to join . at first i wanted to join the army then chicken out because everyone had something bad to say about them
Everybody? What's this world coming to? Get new "everybody's" in your life.

I am a retired U.S. Army soldier. I served 22 years continuous active duty (1968). I am enjoying my pension and my ponytail.

There are a lot of good careers in the Army and some which I would not consider good... I loved the Army. But yes, sometimes it sucked. I had/have a lot of Air Force and USMC friends. I have two retired Navy friends.

First thing. Go talk to every recruiter.... Every branch has advantages and disadvantages...

Good luck to you. Waiting to hear what the recruiters told you and if you even qualify for the service.

Rich

Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
i just graduated not to long ago, and i feel very ambitious in join the armed services. but i really dont know which branch to join . at first i wanted to join the army then chicken out because everyone had something bad to say about them , then the air force came to light then i had a weird interest in becoming a marine and the navy caught my interest also . im confused , and want to make a decision as soon as possible. want a fresh start in life and the military really provides the challenge for me to do so.

Where do you see yourself after 4 or 6 years of service? The military can prepare you for a very good life. You need to understand this and see what each service can offer you and how to reach your goals in life.

Ex. You want to be a mechanical or electrical engineer and work for a power company or similar type company either by making electricity at a power plant or be a technical type person repairing large machinery. Then the Navy engineering jobs would be the best for you.

Ex. You want to go to school to be a corporate type guy dealing with contracts and sales. Then go Air Force and try to get into the contracting career field.

Ex. Do you want to travel and see many different parts of the world? Then a great job is load master in the Air Force as they will deliver supplies to all Air Force/Navy bases around the world.
Post where you see yourself and many people on these boards can give you the perks of those jobs.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:00 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
I really don't think it matters which branch you join...

You need to decide what will help you when your out, and when I mean out, I mean 4-20 years down the road. What ever you do, make sure it equates to something on the outside...you like being a cop, become a an MP/SP or what ever they are called in the other branches...

I had 21 years of Aviation, I walked into a very nice job, with NO degree...Could I have done better...yes I could have, with a degree....but just starting...I'm doing really good, VERY GOOD!!!

So, in the end it's up to you....if you go 20, there is no difference in any branch...just make sure it helps you on the outside....

BTW, I retired at 38 with 21 years and 24 days.....

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

16 posts, read 114,041 times
i actually find my self in the law enforcement field. i always saw my self as a career cop. i want to make a great career out of this. im vertically open to any carrer that deals with the law or tech.

i talked to every recruit today and all of them had something good to say....

army: focused on how big they were and how much money and rank i will make .

Air force: focused on how they take pride in there jobs, and how you will never regret

navy: was very weird they didn't take there time answering my question, i felt rushed wish i can get more info about them

usmc:made me felt strong, made me feel that they were tough but had great rewards. but they kinda over exaggerated alot of the benefits

*to me the air force was the most real*

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Honestly,

Unless you make a career out of the military it takes a long time to become an actual "law enforcement" cop. In the Air Force there are cops but they are senior enlisted who come from the Security Forces career field. In the Navy they are the master at arms. The Army has MP's but during your first hitch you'll be in Afghanistan driving a truck or guarding prisoners.

My advice to you if you want to go into law enforcement, watch the TV series the wire. This is about as truthful a reflection on society as a whole in general but shows you what the difference between police officers who run radar patrols and police who do investigations.

If you decide you want to do investigations and become a fed, I would advice picking a job that would get you a very high security clearance and introduce you surveillance techniques or other electronics you might be using.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Lets see. You want to join the millitary but are not sure where you will fit in. Then join the Navy. Case closed.

The Navy has all the Aircraft carriers, Battleships, Destroyers, Tankers, Sea going Hospital. The Navy has all the ships.

The Navy has its own airforce and they can land on the ground or the sea.

The Navy has its own army, they call them Marines. (I know its another branch but guess who delivers the Marines to where they need to fight.)

The Navy has its own construction company called the Construction Battalion or SeaBees. I grew up near the home of the Pacific SeaBees in Port Hueneme Ca.

The Navy has its own special forces, The SEAL's

The Navy can train you to be an Engineer

The Navy can train you in advanced electronics and BioMed Engineering.

The Navy has its own criminal investigation unit, Naval Criminal Investigative Service

Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Graduated from what? College? High School? The services, especially the Army and Marines, are soon to take cuts of 70,000 personnel. The AF has been bleeding people for the past 8 years. The reductions are coming and fast.

You made no mention of your interests. If you are just looking to have something to do, you will be stuffed into whatever "skill" they happen to need on a given day depending on how you do on their tests. Thus, if you get placed into an nonspecific job such as Infantry or something similar, in 4 years time you will be no better off with a skill set that might transfer into the civilian world.

You did not mention the Coast Guard which would be my choice these days but it is hard to qualify for I'm told.

I always advised my children to get into the medical side of any of the services. One enlisted in the AF; became an x-ray tech. Smart kid. Today he is a medical physicist in the AF with senior officer rank. You have to have motivation. A certain level of intelligence. And, you must learn how the system works in the various services for schooling, promotions etc.

It is up to you. I hope you are not your worst problem. That is what I typically see among our young. Drifting. No direction. Grasping at the latest idea to come along. Looking for the big score with minimum effort. Doesn't work that way in reality.

Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
The Navy has its own special forces, The SEAL's - Each and every branch has their own Special Operations units. United States Special Operations Command are active and reserve component forces of U.S. Military

The Navy can train you to be an Engineer - I got my engineering degree while I was on active duty in the Army, paid for by the Army.

The Navy can train you in advanced electronics and BioMed Engineering. - Every branch has "advanced electronics" training and schools.

The Navy has its own criminal investigation unit, Naval Criminal Investigative Service - All the NCIS agents are civilians. I believe they are all required to be veterans. I know two who are Army veterans. The Army and the Air Force has their own investigative organization.

Each service has a lot of possibilities...

Rich

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
If you look long enough every branch will have something bad people will say about it. I served the Army 32 years and I look back and it was a great career.
There is nothing wrong with asking people around but you need to do more than that.
However:
1. What is it that you want to do when serving? Clerk? Mechanic? Infantry? Intelligence? Etc.
2. Make a list of the top three choices of what you are willing to take. There may be some fields that may be overstrenght and others that are understrenght. Recruiters may be told what fields they may try to convince you to go into because they need people.
3. Go to the recruiter on each branch and ask about the career you are looking for. Take your notes.
4. After that try to get in contact with people that are serving in each branch and ask them about the field. Granted that some may tell you the bad side but a good way to find out a truer picture ask them to also tell you what is the good they can tell you about it. If they do not that means they are simply closed minded because every branch and every field has its bad AND its bad.
5. Also, find out what incentives each branch gives you to join and compare that also.
6. Would you like to be closer to where you live? If so, Army has more bases across the nation and the odds of being stationed closer to home may be better. Also, depending on the field you may go into you may either be closer to home or not. Fort Bliss is an Armor post, Fort Bragg is an infantry post, etc.
However, if you join the Navy are you willing to accept a type of duty where you may have to spend a long time at sea? The Navy does have other jobs where you may be stationed mostly at bases near the sea, the Marines the same. The Air Force the same.
You need to do your homework. I suggest you do not base it because others tell you the bad things about the branch. If you do then wherever you go people will see that and fool you.
The military is a great experience if you have the right attitude. You can learn discipline, organizational skills, a trade, get educational benefits, and help you decide what you want to do later in life whether you stay in and make it a career or simply do your time.
I hope this helps, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues