Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

No Changes to Military Retirement Any Time Soon, Officials Say

By Jim Garamone

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 15, 2011 – The military retirement system isn’t going to change any time soon, Defense Department officials said.

“There’s no immediate plan to affect retirement,” Navy Adm. Mike Mullen told service members at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, July 31.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said any changes to military retirement should be studied carefully and should be “grandfathered” so the military doesn’t break faith with those in the service.

The entire article: Defense.gov News Article: No Changes to Military Retirement Any Time Soon, Officials Say

So maybe the scare some felt is over, for now....

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Lead story on CBS News last night doesn't make it sound as farfetched and more of a likelihood.

Pentagon may scrap traditional military pensions - CBS News Video

Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I've been following this story closely since the first article that appeared. From what I can gather, they are going to make some changes, but they are probably going to grandfather in current servicemembers. Officials keep pushing the plan and then floating a grandfather clause as a possibility. This could be their way of gaining support from veterans' organizations and congress people. Congres can vote for the changes while touting how they championed the current war vets.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Let's hope they grandfather those who have been serving for a while. Otherwise you might as well kiss a bulk of your force goodbye. I already know of quite a few career service members that have already said they would not re enlist if this goes thru. The 20 year pension was the only reason I chose not to leave the politic filled active duty and go national guard or reserves instead.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM

128 posts, read 284,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Lead story on CBS News last night doesn't make it sound as farfetched and more of a likelihood.

Pentagon may scrap traditional military pensions - CBS News Video

Yea, sure because the media is ever so truthful!!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Let's hope they grandfather those who have been serving for a while. Otherwise you might as well kiss a bulk of your force goodbye. I already know of quite a few career service members that have already said they would not re enlist if this goes thru. The 20 year pension was the only reason I chose not to leave the politic filled active duty and go national guard or reserves instead.
Deez, I'm currently active duty with just over 11 years. If this proposal went through without grandfathering us in, my peers and I will leave in droves. Surely the Pentagon knows this.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Did anyone else read this article?

DoD panel calls for radical retirement overhaul - Air Force News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Air Force Times

I have 11 years in. The only, and I mean, ONLY thing that keeps me in at this point is the existing retirement system. (I'm still proud to serve, but the constant deployments for the past 10 years has taken its toll.) After all of the sacrifices we GWOT vets have made, I find this panel's proposals insulting.

Old-timers, any words of widsom? Please tell me this is just someone's idea of a very unfunny joke that doesn't have a snowball's chance in h*** of becoming reality.

(By the way, I would support something like this if it only affected new recruits. If people join the service with the understanding that this is the deal they will be getting, that's one thing. This is certainly a far cry from the deal I have been expecting at the end of my desert trail, however.)
I am against any changes, the cost in military pension is that there are millions of us old fogeys around because the military used to be much bigger. By the time these """reforms""" would kick in father time will have cured the problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I would not worry, government is slow as molasses on changes like this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues