Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
and my comment about military chest beating has been validated......
And so has mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And I rest my case^^^
Nope, no need to be jealous...just the facts......

Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
I work as a Vets Rep in Florida (West Palm Beach) and I can attest employers are not as likely to hire vets as news reports want you to think. Many of my returning veterans are suffering fron depression, anxiety, and PTSD. They need help with transitioning back into the world. As a Vietnam Veteran, I understnad their stuggles but employers looks as these returning vets as mentally ill and beyound help. [mod]We do not need the political comments in this forum[/mod]

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-07-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Rep View Post
I work as a Vets Rep in Florida (West Palm Beach) and I can attest employers are not as likely to hire vets as news reports want you to think. Many of my returning veterans are suffering fron depression, anxiety, and PTSD. They need help with transitioning back into the world. As a Vietnam Veteran, I understnad their stuggles but employers looks as these returning vets as mentally ill and beyound help.
I disagree. There is little saying employers want to hire vets. What your seeing is a marketing campaign showing military veterans transitioning from military to civilian by changing their cloths. We all see the PSA's showing the vet in uniform walking out from the field through the opening of a tent and morphing into a civilian world at a civilian employer in civilian cloths. Thats not for showing vets being hired in civilain jobs but a campaign to try and convince employers to hire vets. (its also a hidden campaign to make recruits think they have a shoe in to be hired when they leave the military). Any thing showing vets getting hired more than civilians is just a marketing campaign and has nothing to do with real life.

Lets face facts, the job market sucks and vets are often up against more direct and specific experience civilains applying for jobs. Employers ahve a much larger pool to pick from and they can be very selective in their hiring. You also have the issue of some military jobs have limited civilian application, or are are to military specific for a easy transition to civilain employment.

Another issue is (one I;m dealing with right now) is there are too many variations of military jobs that even if a company is hiring, you may have military vets competing against other vets and soometimes what looks like a no brainer is not even in the same ball park for the civilian employer.
Let me give this example, We just got a 10 yrear contract to crew several aircarft for another company. The corporate labor managemtn staff along witht he consultant was in thsi week going over the selection values (each area education, experience, certfication, etc is rated from 1 -100 based on relevance to our needs). As we were going over the scale to tweek it, some hypotheticals were used. As it turned out, a fighter pilot in the military who served 20 years and advanced to some executive position in that fighter unit scored less than a 10 year military pilot who flew cargo or transport planes with no executive experience. A civilian pilot with 9 years expereince directly identical to our needs score a hair higher than the military pilot.

There was a point where all the military discipline, leadership and other similar traits, peaked out and didnlt raise the score much more. It was more along the lines of who had the most direct relivant work skills, education, work experience and understanding over who would make the best leader with the most discipline. And, because many civilian employers don;t fully understand the "military" comradeship or "duty bound" ways, they discount them maybe a little more than they should. But in the end, veterans may not get employed simply because a civilian with more direct specific education and experience applied (very common now adays) or another of the thousands of people leaving the military with a bit more expereicne also applied (another common thing in todays employment picture).

As for the "problems" with vets, I don;lt think there are a lot of employers who apply such a blanket belief that retruning vets may be bonkers. I do belive there are some who may have a worry eye for certain vets, but thats probably because we are constantly seeing these stories about all the problems. Can;t blame an employer if thats what they are being shown. If everytime we listen to the news or a sound bite from some politican trying to score votes with vets and military and they are continualy harping on vets needing this type of help or sad stories from vets or their family about these things, what do you expect?

But don;t think for a second that vets are denied employment just cause they are vets. Thats unfair to the civilian employers and more unfair to the vets who can't properly prepare for job hunting because they are being fed misleading reasons for not getting jobs. I bet a vet would rather be told they need to improve their interview skills versus some unknown just spewing out that "it's because your a vet".

Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Not THIS 'You can't be a vet AND be experienced AND educated'... "Stuff" again!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Too few jobs for vets? How about too few jobs for everyone? Vets are just part of the picture. I now have one child who can't find a job, and a parent who is under employed.

I don't know the answer, but everyone is hurting now, not just vets.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:02 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times
They all get the gi bill...you know there is a big demand for welders working in the oil fields...same with CNC machinist...I think the press always like to make things worse than they actually are....

Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,258 times
can you pm me her contact information? I need someone to review/proofread my resume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, honestly I used a service....

She was awsome, and only cost $75, she worked for an on-line company and she was also a Junior in college taking writing classes (or somethnig like that) she also did not accept payment until you were satisified with your resume, it took about 9 days with back and forth emailing's she also knew the lingo for military to civillian....

Really worked out good for me....best $75 I had spent in a while....

Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincliff View Post
can you pm me her contact information? I need someone to review/proofread my resume.
She is not answering my emails....

Go here....Customer Experience Management and Live Chat Software

Just look around...and you will find someone....

If you want, I can look it over....I know you don't know me....but, DM me and we can change that....

Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM

183 posts, read 264,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Too few jobs for vets? How about too few jobs for everyone? Vets are just part of the picture. I now have one child who can't find a job, and a parent who is under employed.

I don't know the answer, but everyone is hurting now, not just vets.
YES YES YES,......it's tough ALL OVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues