Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times

Advertisements

This is a bad rumor from Tap and fellow members. Truth is, companies are not falling all over themselves for veterans. My employer heard my 20 yr career spill and he did not blink an eye, like it was a drop in the bucket, like he's heard it before. Luckily, I recognized it immediately and connected my college/career/experience to the company mission. This cold hard truth was tough pill to swallow...I was and still shocked...and I was hired! My advice, get your college degree, practice interviewing and most important, network. Please don't believe the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
There's too few jobs for everyone. As far as vets getting preference for hiring, it depends on who is hiring. I know many recruiters in my company, some perk up and look very closely at vets, some are indifferent and others almost have a prejudice against them. I say almost cause it couldn't be proven but you just get the feeling from them when you discuss other matters.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM

84 posts, read 180,708 times
What I see most often is the inability to equate military experience to civilian speak. Candidates get so caught up in thier acronyms on thier resme and in the interview, the hiring manager has absolutely no idea what they are saying or how to relate skills to a civilian career. And some of the advise from TAPS class is very out of date in terms of resume writing.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger865 View Post
What I see most often is the inability to equate military experience to civilian speak. Candidates get so caught up in thier acronyms on thier resme and in the interview, the hiring manager has absolutely no idea what they are saying or how to relate skills to a civilian career. And some of the advise from TAPS class is very out of date in terms of resume writing.
Well, honestly I used a service....

She was awsome, and only cost $75, she worked for an on-line company and she was also a Junior in college taking writing classes (or somethnig like that) she also did not accept payment until you were satisified with your resume, it took about 9 days with back and forth emailing's she also knew the lingo for military to civillian....

Really worked out good for me....best $75 I had spent in a while....

Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM

388 posts, read 848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger865 View Post
That is an issue, but not nearly a reason you wouldn't get a job. It is very easy to clear things like that up in interviews...if you can get one in this economy.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
The most fundimental thing for those discussing this subject is to understand the key issue.

Trying to figure out if vets make good or bad employees is SECOND to the first and most important issue: Many Vets may be great employees for a company but they are LOUSY CANDIDATES and never get the chance to prove their worth and ability.

Since our companys operation basically is a civillian version of the US air Forces Military Airlift Command, you would think that veterans would be a big part of our employee base because they are doing what we do. But we have so few veterans of the military because they can't get throught the hiring process.

Will they make good employees, we'll never know if they can't compete against others due to being TOO Military.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
It's a tough job market, no doubt. I respect KickAssArmyChic's "take anything available" approach. NAF (Non-Appropriated Fund) jobs, AAFES jobs (if near a military installation) can provide outstanding "networking" opportunities and open doors - same with DeCA (Commissary) gigs. Don't dismiss Civil Service "Wage" jobs, some pay nicely.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 37,843 times
[SIZE=3]Post military life can be rewarding if you start “early” and plan a course of action while active duty. As a retired enlisted aircrew member (20yrs), I worried a lot about what my future career path would be in the civilian world because I didn’t think my AF career was marketable. So I spent a lot of time researching careers. I did have a BS degree in Education but didn’t want to be a teacher. Since I had a thing for computers, I decided to pursue that. During my last 5 years of service, I took a ton of IT classes and got certified on Cisco and Microsoft products. I paid for all training out of my pocket. I even setup a home lab from parts I bought on ebay to gain experience and to pass the tests. When I would go TDY, I would load up my laptop with software simulators that I could practice commands on. Once I gained the knowledge, I needed experience for my resume. I was willing to work for free just to get some experience! Being in a flying career field, we were home at least 2 weeks a month. During our down time, we held some squadron menial job. My lucky break came when I convinced our Commander that our internet home page needed improvement. During that time I also got close to our network team and started helping them since I had the knowledge. Well one thing led to another and I got all kinds of IT experience for my resume. I thank God for getting this lucky break because it opened all kinds of doors when I decided to retire. Ten years later I can say that I’m happy and make great money. So if you have a vision about what you would like to do during post military life, start early, work hard and the rewards will pay off in the long run. Good luck![/SIZE]

Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I think sometimes, those who have not served, feel intimidated by those who have served. And since they are usually doing hiring, don't hire veterans. Getting a job now is difficult. Use your GI bill, go talk to a vet counselor at a Vet center, they may have leads on jobs for vets. Apply at the VA, or other government jobs, and state jobs as well. There is veteran's preference now. Best of luck...don't give up, there is help out there.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-17-2011 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think sometimes, those who have not served, feel intimidated by those who have served. And since they are usually doing hiring, don't hire veterans. Getting a job now is difficult. Use your GI bill, go talk to a vet counselor at a Vet center, they may have leads on jobs for vets. Apply at the VA, or other government jobs, and state jobs as well. There is veteran's preference now. Best of luck...don't give up, there is help out there.
I think part of the problem is the preconceived notion of most vets. For example, most people assume vets are hard asses or they walk with pride. Because they think they are bad ass or they are too patriotic. Their can be such a thing as too much patriotism. You don't want to work with someone that can be re-deployed or kill you cause they lost their mental state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues