Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 AM

39 posts, read 113,957 times

Advertisements

My husband is a marine and has been in for 8 years. He picked up his last rank (sgt) fast and at a younger age than most marines would. Because of that, he has been a sgt for a long time now (at least 5 years.) Last year he was passed over for promotion (to staff sgt) and he told me that if he gets passed over again, he will be told not to re-enlist (or basically forced out) once his enlistment is over. I know the military is trying to cut down but staff sgt isn't an easy rank to pick up and I just can't believe they would tell him to get out because he got passed over twice. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Yes it appears so..

High Year of Tenure

• E-4 - 8 years
    E-5 - 13 years
    E-6 - 20 years
    E-7 - 24 years
    E-8 - 26 years
    E-9 - 30 years
Note: An E-5 who has been passed over twice for promotion to E-6 may be separated at the end of their current enlistment, even if they have less than 13 years of service.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylijah View Post
My husband is a marine and has been in for 8 years. He picked up his last rank (sgt) fast and at a younger age than most marines would. Because of that, he has been a sgt for a long time now (at least 5 years.) Last year he was passed over for promotion (to staff sgt) and he told me that if he gets passed over again, he will be told not to re-enlist (or basically forced out) once his enlistment is over. I know the military is trying to cut down but staff sgt isn't an easy rank to pick up and I just can't believe they would tell him to get out because he got passed over twice. Is there any truth to this?
Probably some truth in it. The military has always had premonition requirements. Time In Service, Time In Rank, Promotion Board scores etc are used.

There are reasons why military are passed over for promotion. They need to buckle down and do what they need do to stay competitive. He has been "passed over" for a reason and I don't think it was because he made Sergeant early.

Rich

Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
The new high tenure for Sgt with the force reduction is 10 years. @nd pass for promotion, even if under 10 years you are "ALLOWED TO SERVE UP TO 7 MONTHS FOLLOWING RELEASE OF SELECTION BOARD RESULTS OR TO CURRENT EAS, WHICHEVER IS LATER, FOR TRANSITION TIME. SEPARATION PAY MAY BE RATED"

Now, has your Husband completed Sgt's Course? It's a non-waiverable requiremetn for promotion. Has your Husband done a B-billet? If he hasn't have him apply for one asap. At the very least he will have to extend to beyond his EAS to do his B billet. If he does recruiting he is automatically considered "highly qaulified for promotion". I firmly believe the deciding factor for me getting selected to SSgt on my first board was the fact I was on recruiting duty. I had only been on recruiting duty a month when the board let out. Beofre going on recruiting duty my EAS was 2010 and I would only have about a year left on my contract for the duty. They actually let me reenlist for a full 4 years 6 months early only because I had orders to recruiting school (reenlisted in OCt 08 and they tacked four years on the my old EAS giving me a new EAS of March 2014.) Even if I did get passed over twice my EAS would've given me way more chances to get promoted.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
up or out...its the military way.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 AM

39 posts, read 113,957 times
Yes, he completed the sgt's course two years ago. In that same year, he got a bogus fitrep. The fitrep is currently being looked at by the board (to be changed) because they guy who wrote it was shady (long story.) My husband said that if they fit rep is changed, then he will become a staff sgt and get paid for the lost time.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Well, are the marines like the Army when it comes to promotion for E-5/6?

E1 - E4 are pretty much a given, but E-5/6 are on a point system, you have this many point you get promoted.

So, I'm not really sure (unless they have a different system than the Army) how anyone can get passed over...you either make the points or not....

Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, are the marines like the Army when it comes to promotion for E-5/6?

E1 - E4 are pretty much a given, but E-5/6 are on a point system, you have this many point you get promoted.

So, I'm not really sure (unless they have a different system than the Army) how anyone can get passed over...you either make the points or not....
e1-e3 are given. e4 and e5 are on a point system. e6 and up are done on a promotion board.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
e1-e3 are given. e4 and e5 are on a point system. e6 and up are done on a promotion board.
O.K., that's why I asked.....Is the Marine promotion board (E6 and above) local or is it like the Army's, done at the Washington (ours is called the DA)?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylijah View Post
Yes. I personally know an Air Force major that had to leave because of being passed over for promotion twice. This happened within the last couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues