Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,329 times

Advertisements

Well a little information to start:

Currently been in the navy for 1 year and 5 months, I am an E-3 (SN) Un-designated sailor. I am routing up a STA-21 Packet in Jan 2012, also taking the BM3 advancement exam this coming march 2012. Stationed in Yokosuka Japan, PCS date is Dec2013, I plan on extending since i am getting married this Dec (before my 1 year remaining mark). My fiancee is currently living and attending her last year of college in the UK, she fly's out to Japan when she finishes which is Dec 5th. Her father is a retired Commander (US Navy), so she is already enrolled in the program DEERS as his dependent and she is a US Citizen and also has her British citizenship as well. Just have a few basic questions i guess like most people of course.

1. E-3 and below have a hard time acquiring command sponsorship in Japan i know this, my CO has talked to me about it and told me he will push the command sponsorship through.. which I am not certain if he can do or not for me.. I have talked to the Personnel officer on the ship (PSC). I was told it's difficult to get the sponsorship cause it is done through PSD (Personnel support Detachment) which is on the base. So I am hearing two different sides i guess you could say.. Not sure if PSD grants it off your CO's discretion or if its solely done with PSD's.

2. When she arrives in Japan to do the legal side of the marriage the intention is for her to stay here in Japan with me. Without command sponsorship am I still aloud to route up a request for OHA (BAH for those overseas) since she is out here with me and we do have command approval and may or may not have sponsorship (based on earlier question).

3. When she arrives in Japan should she come on a 1-way or a round-trip ticket... not to sure about the immigration laws and i know that some countries will turn people away who arrive on one-way tickets.. so is it safer just to pay the little extra and get a round-trip ticket? Or can she get a VISA in the UK for her move to Japan?

--- Also i have been told that you can get sponsorship as an E3.. but it comes at a price.. extend onboard for 2 years and possibly an extra year to your contract.. if that is so that is fine by me as long as we get to be together i'll be happy.

I'm sure there are tons more questions to be asked based on the answers i will receive and if anymore information is needed please let me know, thank you very much .

Last edited by Matt3492; 09-27-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,253 times
Dude, you need an A-School, preferably one that will help you pick up E-4. Extend for this if you need to. Forgot STA-21 for a while - un-designated E-3's do not get sent to officer-land.

Everything will get easier when you put on a crow. And you need some technical training.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Why bring grief into your life? Wait till you PCS out of Japan and then get married.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Dude, you need an A-School, preferably one that will help you pick up E-4. Extend for this if you need to. Forgot STA-21 for a while - un-designated E-3's do not get sent to officer-land.

Everything will get easier when you put on a crow. And you need some technical training.
this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues