Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times

Advertisements

Is there a maximum height acceptable in any of the Armed Forces?

My concern is for a 6'7" basketball player. If they do accept the tall ones, would one service be better than any of the others.

I know that the Air Force has to restrict height for fighter pilots because of the size of the cockpit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 03:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Sure someone can give you a more current answer but in the past the Navy kept a midshipman from the Academy on active duty for his 5 years. He then went to Dallas Mavs and was a basketball player for years. I think his name was David Robinson and he was well over 6'7".

Back in WWII my dad was in the Army Air Corps but to his sadness flunked the physical since he was 6'7".

So Navy and Army perhaps. Don't think AF.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

My concern is for a 6'7" basketball player. If they do accept the tall ones, would one service be better than any of the others.

I know that the Air Force has to restrict height for fighter pilots because of the size of the cockpit.
Army:

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf

"The causes for disqualification are—
a. Men: Height below 60 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard.
b. Women: Height below 58 inches or over 80 inches does not meet the standard.
"

6'7" = 79 inches. Would squeak in there. I am sure there are waivers available.

I wouldn't worry about pilot limits in the Air Force. The vast majority of the Air Force are NOT pilots. It's a furious competition to get into pilot slots in any service, including the Army.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I think that you could get into any of the branches of the service but the height may limit which "job" you could do. (ie pilots)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Height and Weight Chart - Navy

The above is for the USN.

David Robinson was around 6'1" or so when he entered the Naval Academy and grew the extra foot during his 4 years there. He was offered a discharge but refused it and went to mostly recruiting and PR duties upon commissioning. He had topped out for everything. Generally the upper limit is 6'6" for the services.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 59,006 times
I know that I have worked with guys that were 6'8" in the Air Force and I'm AD working in maintenance. One thing to think about for the AF is that all (enlisted and officer) have to PT test every 6 months. One portion of the test is a waist measurement and they don't incorporate for height or age, only gender. So a male who is 5'5" has to be measured the same as you at 6'7". The test gives max points if your waist is under 35" and points decline every half inch until you 39.5" and then its an automatic fail. The waist measurement becomes a burden on people as they age cause naturally peoples body will change over the years and typically I have seen a alot of taller people have a real hard time as they get a little older. Just a thought...

Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Chad Hennings of the Air Force Academy and Dallas Cowboys (6'6", 290 lbs.) flew A-10's in Iraq.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I would avoid the Navy unless you are REALLY careful going through bulkhead doors. On the other hand I suppose you would learn after banging your head a few times.....

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I would avoid the Navy unless you are REALLY careful going through bulkhead doors. On the other hand I suppose you would learn after banging your head a few times.....
If you are going to avoid the Navy for that reason, avoid the USMC as well. I'm only 6 foot and I banged the hell out of my head on one of those things. I was hungover at the time so it made it abou 100 times worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues