Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM

136 posts, read 300,104 times

Advertisements

I see the VAMC in Albuquerque and it is very spotty. You never know if there is any follow-through at all. I recently saw a caregiver who prescribed me three meds...two were temporary and the other one were was for prolonged treatment. When I went from that person to the pharmacy, I was told they only had one of the three. So I took that one, and haven't been back...each time I go it costs me and who knows what will happen. I have found that I cannot rely on the VA for any follow-through at all. I use them now only for emergency care as they are my sole "healthcare". I am a Vet with no service-connected disability (I was very honest with them about that and not trying to play the system like many Vets do)...so I do not get dental, or eyeglasses, and the care I do get is unpredictable and helter-skelter. Well, what do you expect from the feds and government healthcare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
This may depend on location, but where I live, you do get one free eye exam and one pair of glasses a year. I am wearing mine now.

And I also have no service connected disability.

I don't think they do dental at all unless it's service connected.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, what about the "Medicare Part D" statement that I found on that VA Medical website? From what it says, a Vet can only get prescriptions filled thru a VA Pharmacy unless on Medicare Part D.
Can't be true as I am only 29.

The VA doc asked me where I went (Pharmacy) and I told her... they called it in.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Will just have to stop by my local VA Clinic and find out. My acid-reflux med at Wal Mart cost us $29 for 42 (the highest amount sold by Prilosec), but I now get 60 of the same type (not Prilosec brand) for $9 thru the VA Pharmacy. My allergy med is cheaper thru the VA as well.......my wife buys her's from Wal Mart and the cost is much higher. I get a 30 day prescription of the allergy med, but I cut each pill in half, so the bottle lasts me for 2 months. I get 120 Metformin (diabetic med) thru the VA for $18 and I know that's cheap cause I use to get them from Walgreens via a PCP from my wife's insurance when I was on hers. And, each time I needed a refill of Metformin, the insurance doctor would have me go thru bleed tests. The blood tests costs us. With the VA doctor, she wrote me out a prescription for Metformin that came with 5 refills! I don't have to get a series of blood tests each time I run out of Metformin, like I did with the insurance doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Can't be true as I am only 29.

The VA doc asked me where I went (Pharmacy) and I told her... they called it in.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, what about the "Medicare Part D" statement that I found on that VA Medical website? From what it says, a Vet can only get prescriptions filled thru a VA Pharmacy unless on Medicare Part D.
You may be confusing having the VA completely pay for meds for those who qualify for no co-pay and the VA charging a co-pay for those who have to pay a co-pay. The former, those who qualify for no co-pay, need to have their meds handled completely by the VA as the VA will not reimburse for meds obtained outside the VA, while the latter, those who have to pay a co-pay can obtain their meds outside the VA using a VA prescription if the cost to them is less than the VA co-pay.

In many cases, Walmart charges less for meds than the VA co-pay.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You may be confusing having the VA completely pay for meds for those who qualify for no co-pay and the VA charging a co-pay for those who have to pay a co-pay. The former, those who qualify for no co-pay, need to have their meds handled completely by the VA as the VA will not reimburse for meds obtained outside the VA, while the latter, those who have to pay a co-pay can obtain their meds outside the VA using a VA prescription if the cost to them is less than the VA co-pay.

In many cases, Walmart charges less for meds than the VA co-pay.
What does someone with a 70% VA rating who pays a co pay when the VA calls it in to the civilian Pharmacy, and gets mailed them for free (When time is not important) Qualify as?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,365 times
I've used the VA in several states... it is excellent and gives excellent care.

VA actually saved my life... I was within hours of killing over and they saved me.

I mainly go to the VA since they can pull up my records in any state and see what is happening with my body. I always have a great checkup and a call afterwards to tell me the results of my blood work.

I'm in good health - outside of that issue several years back... bloodclots. Even then, the VA sent me out to a private doctor since they did not have the staff on hand to provide the care I needed. All free.

You do need dental... make sure you get your annual cleanings and checkups. If only you, pay $120 out of pocket... be sure to tell the doc you don't have ins and will pay in cash... they will cut you a good rate. I went years without dental ins and paid that way... I'm older and have dental ins now.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 AM

King of DC...I have not had good experiences with my local VAMC. I was recently dealing with suicidal thoughts, and the mental health nurse prescribed 3 meds....when I went to the Pharmacy, they only had one of them...so I took that as a hope and a bridge back to sanity. I suffer from PTSS and my VA here has been no help at all. So King Of DC I wish you luck. Maybe luck will come to this Vet.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I would say the very first question you need to answer is what is the quality of your local VA health center. I would use the one closest to me only as a very last resort.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM

I am sure that maybe some VA medical centers provide good healthcare. IMHO the departments at the Albuquerque VAMC do not communicate. The doc I saw prescribed 3 meds...and I do need help...but the pharmacy only gave me one, then said they didn't have the other two. I know I should call back and see, but you know how it is with the government and us Vets. It gets old. Some of us just shake our heads. This is VAMC care in Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues