Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times

Advertisements

I would think your private plan is better. The VA has long waiting times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM

136 posts, read 300,042 times
Yes the VA has long waiting times. It is, in the end, "government" healthcare. If you get depressed you can't see your primary care provider right away. Oh, you can check in to the ER. But that's reality. That's my reality. I have taken tests at the VA that scared me. Tests that showed me questionable results. I guess my only health plan is this: get sick? Suffer. Get sick enough? Die.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM

This is why I have never and will never support Obamacare. It's government healthcare. Dear Lord, help us all...

Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
Steve I have a small VA pension that comes on the first. It dropped decidedly when I applied for SS. The VA pension on the first and the SS on the third Wednesday are my only income. They pay my rent and sort of keep me fed. Any co-pays to Medicare would come out of my food and rent money. So I sent their card back. I am not complaining. I am just dealing with it...you know, you play the cards you are dealt. Thank you for your reply and I will pray for your good health.
Based on your information it seems that you would qualify for VA medical care at no cost to you, no co-pay, like it was suggested in another post, don't write the VA off as of yet. When the VA does it's means test there is a "no co-pay" brake point, I think you may qualify.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Thank you Terryj...I will keep it in mind. I also have a strong dislike of hospitals, tests, etc. That's my problem. But I have a living will through the VA so they will know what to do with my remains. I advise everyone to have a living will!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
Thank you TerryjI also have a strong dislike of hospitals, tests, etc.
Me to... But my life has been saved without question at least three times because of thos "hospitals, tests, etc"... And doctor's and ambulances and EMT's, etc... And every morning, if I wake up, I am happy to be alive... And some people who see me with a smile walking my dogs, know why I am smiling...

Good luck to you...

Rich

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Amen Poncho_NM, every day is a gift, ¿que no?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Question VA Healthcare

Many veterans do not utilize VA healthcare, even though there are specialized programs for veterans, with services not covered by insurance.

Just interested, if you are a veteran do you utilize services at the VA?
If you do not, why?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
My son and I both use the VA. I get Medical, Prescription, Dental, Eye Care, Hearing, etc etc. I find Medicare Doctors want me to have an operation so they can make money.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I do but on a very limited basis and that would be an understatement. The local VA here in Portland is just plain overwhelmed with patients and thats on a continous basis. Not just at the present time. Care seems rationed or the time constraints for Appts, can be for some Veterans an impractical way to take care of yourself. The wait for an appt if they will even let you have one can be months. It has happened to me twice in the last 12 months and I decided to only use the VA for eye appts. I seem to get them because I am a Diabetic. If I wanted a colonoscopy I'm told its at least a year or more wait.

So I just use the VA as a backup and end up using my BC/BS for private doctors visits. Thankfully I haven't had to go to a Doctor very often beyond exams. I thought the VA would be quicker to see people with Health Insurance, since they certainly know how to charge for care. A Vet having Health insurance means money for the VA. Although I'm glad if I'm not being seen someone else is. So that is good to know. I have however been shocked at the amount the VA charges Blue Cross for a doctors visit, eye exam or Lab work. When I get my statement of benefits paid to the VA from Blue Cross I think to myself. You have got to be kidding.

I think many Veterans especially those that are not service connected, will find the VA is more of a backup type of Health Care. Something to compliment one's Health Insurance. The VA definitely was not designed to be Health Insurance.

They do the best they can with limited funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues