Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,547,821 times

Advertisements

I'm proud of my time in the Army, but not altogether proud of the things I had to do during those nearly 15 years.

How about you? Proud of your service and/or what you had to do? Would you recommend it to others?

How do you feel about those who did not serve when they could have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
I retired from the U.S Army, 1968 to '90. I'm proud of my service and would probably do it again. I am not ashamed of anything I did while in the service. I had what I considered a good career. I could have done better, and I could have done worse. I was in a few interesting fields. There were probably some fields I might not have stayed in, and I came close to getting out a few times.

I did recommend military service to several people. We are still friends with former military associates, some of their children who we babysat have gone in the service. I really don't hold any grudges for people who did not serve when they could have. I have met many which have told me they wished they had served. Some did not qualify. My parents were born in Europe, and migrated to the United States. I was born in the United States. I am proud of being an American.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-24-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Absoutley!! I loved the entire time in, and especially the last 15... (CH-47 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1988 - 2009...

Would I recommend it now, not really, with all the political correctness that goes on and the EXTREME back stabbing....

I do not disrespect anyone that could or could not have served....people are different.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,660,510 times
Yes. I don't necessarily always agree with the mission, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth it when I hear about the benefits cuts. But, at the end of the day, I love to be in the ranks of the fine Americans who raise their hands and swear undying commitment to this great nation and its people. I'm proud to call them comrades. Even the a-holes are MY a-holes, and I would gladly risk my life to save theirs if duty called for it. For me, it's all about being one of a band of brothers and sisters. That's what makes me proud. I bear no ill will towards those who choose not to serve. In fact, when I am thanked for my service by a civilian, I often thank them for theirs. Anyone who has a job and is doing his or her best is serving too. I'm glad there are folks who build houses, deliver mail, teach school, etc. I hope everyone does their best every day.

Last edited by WestCobb; 01-21-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
I was born to be a Soldier and would probably have been a soldier of whatever country I was born in. I the interim between tours in Vietnam on the DMZ in Korea. I gave it up for a career in Policework and then went back to the Army after that. I am proud of my service and would do it again in a minute. Once Vocational Rehab tested me and the results were:

1. Soldier
2. Law Enforcement

big surprise there. I still live outside a base and go there daily

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
Yep; proud of my service! Almost feel guilty for enlisting after Viet Nam was over and bascially skated through 23 years of service without being any closer to combat than being in Korea when the two Army officers were killed by North Korean troops at Panmunjom. Love my second career but there's times I truly miss the scream of jet engines and the aroma of jet fuel. And I cussed the F-4 Phantom II fighter because I truly believe that maintenance was merely an afterthought during its' design. But I'm sure glad I worked on it.

I would definitely recommend ANY of the five branches. I believe that military service is good for anyone just getting out of high school (or college!) Granted I was a little young to understand the Viet Nam draft back then. But I've always believed that, while military service is a good thing for the right people, it's not for everyone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,253,296 times
There was little pride involved when I enlisted (enlist or be drafted) and little while I was in, but I am proud that I served and proud of the job I did. I have little use for the draft dodgers who ran off to Canada, but if they could avoid the draft legally, I don't blame them. Not many wanted to be drafted to Nam.

I wouldn't normally "recommend" to anyone that they join the military. It must be a personal decision. It's a killing business, for the most part, even though most don't kill directly. It's also our national defense, and I very much respect those who serve.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,547,821 times
About the only thing I came out of the Army with which gives me any pride is my Combat Infantryman's Badge. As for what I had to do to earn it...well, that's another matter.

However, I do tell young people who are adrift and needing something to start their life off right that the service is a good place to find direction and to learn to put a greater good ahead of their own desires. That's a good lesson for anyone to learn and you can readily see the difference in people's lives when they've done that. I usually recommend the Air Force or Navy because that's where the smart people go.

And, I'll admit that no matter how hard I try not to, I don't have as high an opinion of those who did not serve when they could have as I do those who did. That's especially true for those who never bothered to don a uniform turn out to be great patriots and warmongers after they were too old to go. There's nothing worse, to me, than a chicken hawk.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Proud I served in the Navy. Was a lousy machinist mate, but am proud of my work as our division's DCPO(damage control petty officer). I maintained and repaired our firefighting equipment, emergency lighting, and all our doors, hatches, and scuttles. What makes me proud of my work is the fact that every time there was fire or flooding in our spaces, not one of my equipment failed when needed!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
One thing that winds me up a little is the folks that equate a military pension with welfare. Or that a military pension gives an employer the right to pay me less than someone who hasn't earned a pension. Especially since they (rightfully) expect the same amount of work out of me as anyone else who works for them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues