Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenmed View Post
And i may ask, why do you say Crew Chief(Tactical Aircraft Maintenance) ?
I have researched this job and it seems to be great. However, I would like to know your personal view of the job and why this would be a good route for him to take. Thank you!!
Why?

Cause it takes brains to do right.

And he won't get bored, or if he does he'll be able to get very inventive with his pranks.

Barring that Meterology is great.

PJ's and sensor operators are skilled positions, but have awful bases.

If he really wants to work his brain, there is no training harder than the Navy's Nuclear Program. Complete that and your future is paved with gold. But your naval career will really inhale violently (anything with s bonus has a reason for that bonus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:10 PM

344 posts, read 550,974 times
I have heard that USAF is making-do with people who had scores in the 30's, so he may have a wide choice. I remember taking them long ago, thought they were easy, scored 97 and above on the various units. I'm adding that because I don't know how much weight they really carry. If USAF is like most other large orgs, he'll get the opposite of what he really wants.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Take the EDPT test and apply for 9S, Technical Applications. Otherwise, linguist. Otherwise, whatever is available. Those two jobs I listed have special testing, and we often have openings. Otherwise, be open to the needs of the Air Force.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
I have heard that USAF is making-do with people who had scores in the 30's, so he may have a wide choice. I remember taking them long ago, thought they were easy, scored 97 and above on the various units. I'm adding that because I don't know how much weight they really carry. If USAF is like most other large orgs, he'll get the opposite of what he really wants.
If a job requires a 33, we don't care if you have a 33 or a 97. Qualified is qualified. We're not impressed by a high score, especially if it comes with a bad attitude that the person is better than everyone else. As a recruiter, I'd rather help the guy with the 33 that just wants to be in the Air Force and do what we need, than the 97 who thinks he is entitled and ends up being picky.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 AM

384 posts, read 398,156 times
Did he already enlist? If you/him are thinking long term career, the Navy Nuc Program will provide him a very successful path for employment after he gets out. I've been out a long time so I do not know what the current ASVAB testing requirements are for the program, but the commercial nuclear power industry is always looking for good people and the pay is excellent. However, an important fact to consider is the initial commitment is tough (six year enlistment, challenging training and sea time), but the rewards are well worth the effort. Good luck to the both of you.

Lou

Last edited by sailor_lou; 10-04-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 11:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
If a job requires a 33, we don't care if you have a 33 or a 97. Qualified is qualified. We're not impressed by a high score, especially if it comes with a bad attitude that the person is better than everyone else. As a recruiter, I'd rather help the guy with the 33 that just wants to be in the Air Force and do what we need, than the 97 who thinks he is entitled and ends up being picky.

As an active duty Air Force officer, thank you. The last thing we need is more entitled people among our ranks.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM

344 posts, read 550,974 times
I don't think being bright and entitled are the same thing, and I am sorry for a culture that does.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM

33 posts, read 144,549 times
I ended up getting a 99 but I did not enter the service because they did not offer me the position I wanted.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanari View Post
I ended up getting a 99 but I did not enter the service because they did not offer me the position I wanted.
I scored a 99 in all sections. It never even crossed my mind at the time that I could ask for a specific school. What position were you negotiating for?

Fun story, at the time I joined it was very hard to have a guaranteed school. It was always weasel words. I did see one guy at boot camp who got out because they actually guaranteed him a school. Problem was they hadn't realized he was color blind, which disqualified him from the school he wanted. But-like you and me, he was also a extremely high scorer, and they pretty much offered him everything that didn't require normal color vision. Looking back I suspect I could have picked anything if I had been aware of the need to negotiate.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is the magic of the exam, in that it tests your ability. It is sort of like an IQ or LSAT, in which while there is a baseline knowledge needed, and a person can study to improve a little, the exams really test a person's abilities in which they cannot really ever improve.

The ASVAB is testing a person's ability in order to classify their ability to successfully complete schools needed to perform their job in the military. A person in the military does not have time to constantly study and redo courses, it is basically a "one time shot" deal. So obviously they are not going to design the ASVAB to make it where a person can get an excellent score by simply studying a year for it.

For example, there are people with just a GED and score high, and there are college grads that score rather low; it is design to sort people's abilities this way. There is more to many jobs in the military than straight knowledge, the ability to convey that knowledge in a very quick manner is essential, and to know what to do in absent of "100%" data is also essential; many people just cannot do this.
The zombie rises.

All portions of the ASVAB can be studied for, although not really crammed. But it's all learned material, stuff a person can learn.

College grads don't necessarily do well because they likely haven't studied the right material, (although most BSEs can probably roll the ASVAB easily)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues