Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM

9 posts, read 26,013 times

Advertisements

is it worth buying??ive seen some for sale online he is 16yrs old i know he has two more years to take it but was just wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,662,652 times
I bought one and got 10 pages into it. Register on military.com and take the practice tests there. Study what you know you don't know based on that. Most of the information can be learned from Google.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,029,372 times
It's worth studying a few weeks prior to the test, not much before that.

50% fail the ASVAB or pretest in the recruiter's office so it is worthwhile.

Borrow one from the library.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,889,788 times
Test Prep Review | Exam Practice for ACCUPLACER, ACT, GED, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MAT, MCAT, NCLEX, Praxis, SAT and other Test Preparation

click the asvab link on the sidebar

Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,694,465 times
I've seen local JROTC students passing the books around. Some of them take it serious. It never hurts to exercise your brain.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM

867 posts, read 2,974,957 times
In my experience, when I took the test on computer at the Houston MEPS in March 2002 and was recruited by US Army Houston Recruiting Battalion, the test was a joke. I practically breezed through the thing, paying little attention to what was going on as I was in a rush to get home and got like a 78 on the ASVAB and a 117 GT score. Only one or two of my line scores was double digits. (I forget which, its been 8 years, my MSO ends next month). Not perfect or mind-blowing scores, but plenty good to make me eligible for the vast majority of MOS'es and OCS if I decided in the future. My recruiter was happy as hell. I remember the guy I took it with that night was a weird German immigrant kid who later turned out to have a serious criminal record according to my recruiter.

I should note that I had absolutely zero! preparation AND had never even heard of the test until days prior to taking it. Academically I was average in high school, but I went to a very academically competitive and rigorous public high school in a Houston suburb.

From what I understand if you have no problem graduating from a normal American high school and are at least reasonably intelligent, you WILL BE FINE.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 02-17-2010 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM

6,438 posts, read 9,791,130 times
If he is at least an A or B student he should have no problems with that test. If he is struggling in high school then by all means get it, otherwise save your money.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,889,788 times
The Asvab test is written at a 10th grade level. That said you shouldn't make such blanket statements. SVT even your statement about being an A or B student isn't necessarily accurate. In my area the biggest problem recruiters have is Enlistment Screening Test(EST)/ASVAB failures. The biggest problems I see are the word knowledge section and math sections. With the math I think a lot of it stems from the facts that kids now a days are near dependent on calculators, they have real trouble even doing simple math long hand. Add to that the last math a kid took was tech math 2 at the beginning of his jr yr and now it's the end of his sr and he hasn't done any math since.

OP, the best thing you can do is go to a recruiter and take the EST. The EST will let you know what you'll get on the actual ASVAB within about 10 points. If you score 50 or higher, save your money, if you score below that, get the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
In my experience, when I took the test on computer at the Houston MEPS in March 2002 and was recruited by US Army Houston Recruiting Battalion, the test was a joke. I practically breezed through the thing, paying little attention to what was going on as I was in a rush to get home and got like a 78 on the ASVAB and a 117 GT score. Only one or two of my line scores was double digits. (I forget which, its been 8 years, my MSO ends next month). Not perfect or mind-blowing scores, but plenty good to make me eligible for the vast majority of MOS'es and OCS if I decided in the future. My recruiter was happy as hell. I remember the guy I took it with that night was a weird German immigrant kid who later turned out to have a serious criminal record according to my recruiter.

I should note that I had absolutely zero! preparation AND had never even heard of the test until days prior to taking it. Academically I was average in high school, but I went to a very academically competitive and rigorous public high school in a Houston suburb.

From what I understand if you have no problem graduating from a normal American high school and are at least reasonably intelligent, you WILL BE FINE.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,013 times
he can take the test next month at his school how many times can you take the test??if he scores high enough now would he have to take it again at 18 yrs old??thanks for your help

Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM

867 posts, read 2,974,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The Asvab test is written at a 10th grade level. That said you shouldn't make such blanket statements. SVT even your statement about being an A or B student isn't necessarily accurate. In my area the biggest problem recruiters have is Enlistment Screening Test(EST)/ASVAB failures. The biggest problems I see are the word knowledge section and math sections. With the math I think a lot of it stems from the facts that kids now a days are near dependent on calculators, they have real trouble even doing simple math long hand. Add to that the last math a kid took was tech math 2 at the beginning of his jr yr and now it's the end of his sr and he hasn't done any math since.

OP, the best thing you can do is go to a recruiter and take the EST. The EST will let you know what you'll get on the actual ASVAB within about 10 points. If you score 50 or higher, save your money, if you score below that, get the book.

Shouldn't make such blanket statement? I took the test, remembered how easy it was for me, and relaying my experience. It's written at the 10th grade level? All the more reason the OP has nothing to worry about.

Also, I believe to join the Army all you need (currently) is like 31 on the test. -- The test taker doing better than at least 31% of the rest. Not hard. Getting intel as an MOS isnt' a sure bet, if one wants to go Infantry, he shouldn't sweat it.

The people I did know who failed the test many times did so intentionally to get the recruiters off their back. I've heard of LOTS of people who have done that.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 02-19-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues