Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Clovis NM is just the armpit of the SouthWest....
Beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I would have gnawed my arm off if we had been stationed at Edwards AFB in the desert of California. We just drove x-country and I couldn't believe how depressing it was driving through there. Ick!
Back in the late 70's, our squadron was contracted out, so myself and a few others, PCS'd from Patrick AFB (Cocoa Beach) Fl, to Edwards AFB, Ca. We drove cross country....notwhitstanding a busted radiator outside of Davis Monthan...and arrived at the back gate (Boron-Cal City gate) of Edwards airplane patch at night. We asked for billeting directions to the SP (Security Police), he started by saying something like...."you go about 5 miles on this road...."...that's when it hit me..."WTH...**** 5 miles!!!!"
The following day I looked out the window from my Billeting room and all I could see were tumble weeds going accross the field like an old west movie...sand blowing...jack rabbits running around....oh, oooohhh...!!!!
Went from beach with water to a beach with lots of sand and no water in sight.
Made the best of it tho'...we used to visit LA, Vegas, George AFB (now closed), Norton AFB (now closed), March AFB (now a Reserve Base) as I remember it.

Anyways...back to the topic at hand.

Best Base I've been to:

Patrick AFB, Fl.
Homestead ARB, Fl.
Kelly AFB (now closed), San Antonio, Tx.
Osan AB, South Korea.
Dobbins ARB, Ga.
Eglin AFB, Fl.

Worst Base:

Edwards AFB, Ca.
Altus AFB, Ok.
Hill AFB, Ut.

It's what comes to mind at the moment.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM

56 posts, read 169,483 times
VA is terrible for military,it's such a HUGE based military state that everyone gets to where they HATE the military and cops will pull you over for no reason expect for that you are military and find anything to give you a ticker for.
I hated when we were in VA and hope we never have to go back.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Clovis NM is just the armpit of the SouthWest....
Whereas Albuquerque (home of Kirtland AFB) is far and away much better

I will miss all of the fun things we can do here when the AF moves us to some "armpit" town. Abq is not too big and not too small. Lots to do, traffic is not bad.

Wish we could stay here longer. 3-4 yrs is just way too short for here - of course it was way too long for a different base we were stuck at. Amazing how sense of time changes depending on location.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 35,948 times
Best = san diego

worst = meridian, ms

Old 12-24-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
My parents retired there after spending the last 8 years of their career in GF. I agree that the term "baser" is annoying at best. I also think it sucked a bit, at the same time I really liked it and was surprised at how many people retire in Grand Forks when their time is done. I think the worst is Cavalier Air Station in North Dakota and the best is any base in So. California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The Good: To me, it seems the entire south loves their military. Discounts are everywhere and I still get "Thank you for serving" comments.

The Bad: I have a total of 40 years of experience as a military rep because I was a military brat then active duty. Hands down, Grand Forks, ND was the most unsupportive community I've ever lived or visited. So much so they called us "basers", and this is not a term of endearment but as an identifier. Very poor treatment!
He speaks the truth, Grand Forks ND is the worst place on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stationed there for a year and a half, before i got kicked out with a honorable discharge lol. Grand Forks people should be convicted of hate crimes against the military. Most people will never understand what the G.I.'s have to go through there. Heed the warnings, and if you get orders here you'll regret it the rest of your life. This is no joke and it's as serious as getting cancer, trust me you'll find out.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM

172 posts, read 414,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Clarksville, TN was pretty bad. I could only stomach a few months there and that was it!
Aww - I liked Clarksvegas!! It suited me though (for the most part)... very central, big enough, but not too big - close to a major airport, low cost of living. Not where I want to retire though.

For me Columbus, GA (Ft. Benning) was the WORST. They people just seemed to move so s.l.o.w.l.y there and the weather in the summer was AWEFUL. The bugs are ginormous and the snakes....

I really liked Ft. Lewis, WA (Tacoma, but we lived on post, and spent most of our free time 45 min. north in Seattle).

I loved Germany as well and would love to go back!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Best place in us~ moffett field calif
worst Jaxsonville fla

overseas best Sangley pt Philipines~ was there when it was closed~ worst~gotta be quang ju, korea! skeeters the size of dive bombers an numbers in the millions!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Yup, NAS Moffett Field was great.
I served there Jan 66 til June 67 ----VR-8

Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Anchorage, AK (Elmendorf AFB) was great if you liked the outdoors as I did/do.

San Angelo, TX (Goodfellow AFB) was very friendly to its military. Great people. I wasn't thrilled with the landscape of west Texas, however.

Rapid City, SD (Ellsworth, AFB) should also be good. I wasn't assigned there, but I've lived near it most of my life, and the locals seem to appreciate the military. The adjoining Black Hills area is great for outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues