Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM

17 posts, read 136,531 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone,

Some background on me: I was going to join the Air Force and enter DEP shortly after getting married in April, and complete my degree while in. But, since I only had 40 credits to go, I figured I would finish it out so I don't have to think about school while serving. I've debated applying as an officer, it's already really competitive and I don't have any prior leadership skills. I'm a 21 year old female. So all you officers and enlisted airmen out there, what route (from your experience) is the best to take? Enlist then apply as an officer a few years down the road, or apply as an officer before enlisting?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I'm not an Airmen, I'm a soldier.

"Enlist then apply as an officer a few years down the road" seems to be an easy way out with a lot of people, in my opinion... Why delay?

"I don't have any prior leadership skills" - well, learn them as soon as possible.

If you qualify to go the officer route, then take it. There is nothing wrong with going enlisted either.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Females applying for pilot positions, or Combat Systems Officers, or Air Battle Managers have a great chance of becoming an officer... almost 60%, depending on GPA and AFOQT test scores.

Becoming an officer from the enlisted side is JUST AS competitive, it does not give you ANY advantage...

Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay707kay View Post
Hello again everyone,

Some background on me: I was going to join the Air Force and enter DEP shortly after getting married in April, and complete my degree while in. But, since I only had 40 credits to go, I figured I would finish it out so I don't have to think about school while serving. I've debated applying as an officer, it's already really competitive and I don't have any prior leadership skills. I'm a 21 year old female. So all you officers and enlisted airmen out there, what route (from your experience) is the best to take? Enlist then apply as an officer a few years down the road, or apply as an officer before enlisting?

Thanks!
//www.city-data.com/forum/milit...air-force.html

If you're still interested in the cyber career field, then I would suggest finish your degree and enter as an officer. You should also check out the 24th AF at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. San Antonio is fast becoming the Cyber Warfare hub for the US.

24th Air Force - Home

Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Why unnecessarily limit your options? Not many 2nd LTs have much, if any, true leadership experience - just the training to begin EARNING their leadership experience.

You'll make a lot more money over the course of your career, qualify for better housing, and just typically enjoy a higher standard of living as an officer, so why not go for it on the front end? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

One advantage to being enlisted first however, is that this gives you a unique insight into the lifestyle of the enlisted ranks. This can come in handy as you move into leadership positions in or out of the military.

All this being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the enlisted side of things. Both career paths are honorable and provide an interesting lifestyle.

I don't have experience myself, but both my father and my son in law entered the AF as enlisted men, and then went through OCS (or whatever the AF equivalent is). My ex husband went into the AF and then went through OCS as well, and is now a Colonel. None of them regret their years spent as enlisted airmen and soldiers - but they all much preferred life as officers, for themselves and for their families.

The military is a great lifestyle and career choice in my opinion. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Save yourself the headache and go officer.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Navy junior officers are usually trained by senior NCOs to be leaders. Some come from the academy with an attitude and quickly learn to lose the attitude. One particularly obnoxious junior officer POd his division to the point that they beat him up, stripped him down to his skivvies, and duct taped his hairy body to his chair. He was much nicer after his lesson in manners. If you choose enlisted, pick your job or MOS carefully. I suggest you finish school and apply to be an officer. Check with each of the military branches to see what they have to offer you.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
I'll provide some feedback as I was enlisted before I became an officer.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is, "Why do I want to join?". Is military service, regardless of rank, suitable for you? Do you want to join an organization and serve a purpose greater than yourself? Are you willing to make large sacrifices, which can include your life? If the answer to any of those is "no", then you'll know that the military isn't for you. This is a career that is not for everybody. There's no shame in that-- it is simply a difficult lifestyle at times. On the other hand, it is incredibly rewarding. There have been days that I couldn't believe they were paying me--- jumping out of airplanes, conducting air assaults, landing on an aircraft carrier. There have also been days that I thought they weren't paying me nearly enough-- missing anniversaries, family weddings, child's first steps, words and birthday, etc.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to become an officer only for increased pay and being saluted, you'll fail miserably. One of your biggest motivators for becoming an officer should be "leadership". Every branch of service knows that 2LTs have limited leadership experience. That's why they give you NCOs. It's probably important to point out that rank and influence don't always go hand in hand. For example, the Command Sergeant Major (or Chief Master Sergeant)in a unit has a LOT more power and influence than a 2LT. Why? Experience. So even though a 2LT is a higher rank, they are less influential than the senior enlisted leader. In any event, as an officer, you'll continue to be challenged with leadership positions that will get more difficult as you progress through the ranks.

Now if you decide that you want to become an officer, then my recommendation is to apply for it now. I don't believe there'll be any advantage when it comes to selection rate chances if you're enlisted first. If you aren't accepted and you want to join the USAF anyway, I would enlist and apply later. Each of the services is getting smaller. That means everything is more competitive--- it is harder today to enlist or become an officer than it was even a year ago.

Best of luck.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 26,510 times
Please, can anyone help me? I am currently in the service. (army) I am currently in school (jr). I am a single mother. I want to transfer from the army to the airforce and become an officer in the airforce. How does that work?

Last edited by WENDY5; 12-10-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
I have a distant family member who joined Public Health Services as an officer because there was greater pay (significantly) right out of college. [Don't get me started on the merits of having public heath personnel getting paid the same as a front-line military member getting shot at in a war zone, without the same standards for PT, deployability, physicals, etc.] She is now finding out that with advanced pay (she started as an O-3) comes advanced responsibilities, and truthfully she lacks leadership skills, and is having a very hard time coping with the problems and responsibilities that come with command. However, PHS offered that quick ticket to a big paycheck without having to pay dues. I'm seeing a couple of threads on CD lately, "I want to join the military to get a good job and benefits, but will I have to go to Afghanistan or wake up early in the morning or run a mile and a half a day?" There's a reason it's called "service".

ArtyGuy mentions getting paid to do cool things... I got paid to fly F-16s, and would gladly have taken a pay cut to do so. And I have missed holidays, anniversaries, even family funerals because of deployments.

To the OP, if being an officer appeals to you, OTS may be for you. Go for it; not everyone has leadership experience, but they may have latent leadership and people skills. You often gain leadership with experience, by being mentored, and by observing and emulating those officers and especially senior NCOs that demonstrate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues