Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,415 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of 2 childern and married. My husband served in the air force and got out around 2 years ago. Went and talked to a recruitor today and was told women with more than 2 dependents can not join. Is there any way this can be revoked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,155,896 times
It is logical because dependents cost a lot to support.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 88,830 times
Having retired from the military....anything can be waived. Having said that, you will have to convince them it is in the best interest of the Air Force to allow you to serve. With the current draw down in all services that may be a very hard sell for you to make. For every mother of two wanting to get into the Air Force there are ten single childless woman waiting to join.

I would be curious to know if a male with more then two dependents is allowed to join?

Not to get into your business to much; but is your husband willing to become Mr. Mom and stay home with the kids. Is he willing to give up his job to follow you along in your career in the military? Being a military spouse in not an easy job, for a male or female. Many a marriage has ended because of the demands placed on a marriage. Demands the civilian community can not even imagine.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM

499 posts, read 2,151,521 times
Maybe the USAF approaches this differently than the Army. My recollection from my time in a recruiting battalion was that while we did limit the number of dependents an applicant could have before a waiver was required, we were more concerned about finances than we were with adding dependents to DEERS. For example, if an applicant had several dependents and they would be the sole provider, they had to demonstrate that their salary as a junior enlisted Soldier would not place undue hardships on the family. So the more debt the applicant and family had, the less likely they'd be allowed to join.

In any event, recruiting is going well for all services. In times like this, applicants requiring waivers of any kind are severely handicapped in terms of their chances of joining. As HiDesertRat pointed out, there are 10 individuals who do not require a waiver of any type standing right behind the person needing a waiver.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,151,938 times
I'm sort of ignorant about this but will throw out that I thought part of the dependent equation was family support in terms of care during deployments, exercises, long days, special duty etc. Since you aren't a single parent which has been problematic during large surges, I think that would work in your favor.
Its a little personal but if your husband joined at 20 and retired at 20 he'd be 40. You have 2 kids and are what age?
From a big military perspective they have a mission. Inducting, basic training, job training etc. is very expensive. They want people who will come in, stay healthy, keep their weight down and be productive for 20 years. If you are already older that becomes less likely. They can't discriminate based on age (there is an age cap which I assume you are under). But someone who is older with two kids isn't a good gamble from a cost productive force management perspective. They do have a mission they have to think about.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM

19 posts, read 88,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm sort of ignorant about this but will throw out that I thought part of the dependent equation was family support in terms of care during deployments, exercises, long days, special duty etc. Since you aren't a single parent which has been problematic during large surges, I think that would work in your favor.
All military branches have some sort of "support" program for dependents, rather it be children, spouses or support while the military member is deployed. However, for the most part the family unit survives the best it can while the military member is deployed, at work, or whatever he/she may be called to do. Being a spouse of a military member can be very demanding, as your schedule is totally depentand on their schedule, which may change at the last minute. One day life is like everyone else's, the next day you find yourself standing in the middle of the house all by yourself and knowing it is going to be like that for the next twelve months. You get used to being by yourself, making all the decisions on your own, settling fights between the kids all by yourself, not haveing to justify why you did or didn't do something, etc. Then the next day, the service member is back in your life. You and them both have to readjust to being a family again, which would seem to be an easy thing to do but isn't.

Common misconception: Military members DO NOT get paid more money for each child they have!!! When a military member gets married they do get additional money to help support the added dependent. That's it!!! Doesn't matter if the couple has no children or fifteen, the dollar amount doesn't increase because of dependents number increasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its a little personal but if your husband joined at 20 and retired at 20 he'd be 40. You have 2 kids and are what age?
OP said her husband "served" and got out. This could mean he was in 1 to 4 years, depending on why he got out. So there is a real good chance the OP is in her early 20's.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,558,141 times
VERY perceptive HiDesertRat - we have no idea the age of the OP. I guess one question might be WHY do married people get more money than non-married? Not that I am against it; but, the saying is "if the Army wanted you to have a ______ they would have issued you one"???!! I have a vague recollection that single people with children had to sign some sort of contingent dependent support - in case of deployment or unaccompanied assignment. Why would it matter to the military if the OP had two or more dependents (other than the possibility of "problems" would increase)??

Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
I guess one question might be WHY do married people get more money than non-married? Not that I am against it; but, the saying is "if the Army wanted you to have a ______ they would have issued you one"???!!
Why? The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is an allowance prescribed by the military members geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed Service members equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets within the United States when government quarters are not provided. It really is not based on your marriage status, but if your dependency status, with or without dependents. It is not taxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
I have a vague recollection that single people with children had to sign some sort of contingent dependent support - in case of deployment or unaccompanied assignment. Why would it matter to the military if the OP had two or more dependents (other than the possibility of "problems" would increase)??
It makes perfect sense. Who is going to take care of those dependents when a single person deploys?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,619,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Why? The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is an allowance prescribed by the military members geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed Service members equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets within the United States when government quarters are not provided. It really is not based on your marriage status, but if your dependency status, with or without dependents. It is not taxed.

It makes perfect sense. Who is going to take care of those dependents when a single person deploys?
My gripe is with two military persons that are married and both get BAH, although one gets the with dependents and the other gets without dependents. That adds up to a tidy sum. They both also get separate rations (BAS), also not taxed.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
My gripe is with two military persons that are married and both get BAH, although one gets the with dependents and the other gets without dependents. That adds up to a tidy sum. They both also get separate rations (BAS), also not taxed.
I don't have a gripe with that. If it is authorized, then more power to them.

And now, let's stay on the thread topic which is "Women with more than 2 dependents cant join the Air Force?"

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues