Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

Hi! I know this is the place to go for many unanswered questions I have regarding this part of the military. I been thinking of joining the Army Medical Department as officer, more specifically nuclear medicine scientist. Basically, I am asking if anyone has experience with this particular field, or in the AMEDD. What can I expect? Do I go through similar training as soliders? Do I get stationed to variety of places, ie different locations in the U.S. and overseas? Can it be treated like a "9-5" if you live near a base? How is the lifestyle? I already have my education, and I am looking into doing meaningful work, would this be a great fit? pros? cons? Also, I am part Middle Eastern, would people look down upon that? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM

499 posts, read 2,154,266 times
Have you spoken with an AMEDD recruiter? Here is the link Army Medicine (AMEDD) | GoArmy.com

Truth in advertising-- I'm an officer but I'm not an Army doctor so I'm not going to be able to answer all your questions.

Medical officers go through a basic course. It is not like basic training, which is what I think you were asking. However, you will be learning some of the same basic skills such as saluting, wear of the uniform, etc. that new Soldiers learn. Many medical officers receive direct commissions vice going through ROTC, West Point, or OCS. Therefore, they don't have an ounce of training. That said, the Army is not trying to turn doctors into infantrymen so the basic course is best described as a "gentlemen's course".

Even though your area sounds more specialized than say a pediatrician, I suspect most of our larger hospitals have your department. So yes, I would expect to serve in various locations. I have friends who are Army doctors and they seemed to move as frequently as the rest of us. However, those doctors who have a very unique specialty are often found at Walter Reed and typically stay put. With respect to a 9-5 schedule, I'm guessing your work schedule in the Army would be similar to that of your civilian counterpart.

I love the lifestyle. Over the last 6 years I have been deployed quite a bit and yes, it was difficult, but I don't have any regrets about spending the last 19+ years on active duty. I suspect you'd find your schedule being very predictable. Many people think we work 7 days a week, which is not true unless we are deployed or out training. Now for a nuclear medicine department, I'm assuming it's staffed 7 days a week and/ or somebody is on call?

I highly recommend contacting an AMEDD recruiter. They'll be able to answer many of your questions.

Lastly, being part middle eastern is not going to be an issue.

Best of luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,783,347 times
I'm intrigued. You are a nuclear medicine scientist interested in training as a medical doctor. Would that qualify you to become a radiologist or is there a new specialty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues