Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
I've been fighting with myself on air force reserves or enlisting in one I can enlist into. I decided I want air force reserve because of the many IT positions available, at least for enlisted. I can't go the officer route because I don't have a degree. I have a really good job now, I just need an avenue to improve my future and the reserves looks like the only direction. I've been fighting with myself on wanting to serve for nearly 10 years, I think it's time.
What career field are you looking at, I was a 2e2...which is now a 3d job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
I've been fighting with myself on air force reserves or enlisting in one I can enlist into. I decided I want air force reserve because of the many IT positions available, at least for enlisted. I can't go the officer route because I don't have a degree. I have a really good job now, I just need an avenue to improve my future and the reserves looks like the only direction. I've been fighting with myself on wanting to serve for nearly 10 years, I think it's time.
You originally asked only about programming jobs. Why limit yourself? Programming is not the majority of the work in IT, at least in America, these days.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You originally asked only about programming jobs. Why limit yourself? Programming is not the majority of the work in IT, at least in America, these days.
Good point.

I was a programmer for a while, started as a hobby while I was in the Army, was sent to various schools by companies who deal with government systems. Did some professional work on the side. But programming, in the purist sense, was boring to me and to others in the Army which I dealt with as well as being limited. We were involved with overseeing some contracts in the 5 to 20 million dollar size for programming major projects. Even after I retired, I had some computer related jobs, but that was on the side of my primarily tasks.

The Army has a lot to offer, I did 22 years, followed by about 10 years as a consultant which because of my experience. I also dealt a lot with the Air Force followed by the Marine Corps, the the Coast Guard and Navy.

Like GeorgiaTransplant said, "Why limit yourself?" I am not even going to embarrass myself of all the careers I envisioned I wanted...

Good luck to you kremit

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-01-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM

391 posts, read 840,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
What career field are you looking at, I was a 2e2...which is now a 3d job...
Since they don't list reserve jobs online, I am basing it all on that list right now. I haven't talked to them yet because im still studying and im 1/2 way to my weight goal. Speaking of that, oh man am I sore

The entire subject of cyber space support is what I was eyeballing. I want to be a software engineer, so computer systems programming would be an awesome opportunity. 3D0X4 is the job classification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I kept thinking of how to word this, but I'll do this instead. I am mostly interested in programming jobs, but if I was forced to chose something else IT related, besides PC repair, I would be happy. But I want programming for my own goals. Between service and school, i'll be set for what I want to do.

Last but not least, thank you all

Last edited by kremit; 09-01-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Default More Information Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Good point.

I was a programmer for a while, started as a hobby while I was in the Army, was sent to various schools by companies who deal with government systems. Did some professional work on the side. But programming, in the purist sense, was boring to me and to others in the Army which I dealt with as well as being limited. We were involved with overseeing some contracts in the 5 to 20 million dollar size for programming major projects. Even after I retired, I had some computer related jobs, but that was on the side of my primarily tasks.

The Army has a lot to offer, I did 22 years, followed by about 10 years as a consultant which because of my experience. I also dealt a lot with the Air Force followed by the Marine Corps, the the Coast Guard and Navy.

Like GeorgiaTransplant said, "Why limit yourself?" I am not even going to embarrass myself of all the careers I envisioned I wanted...

Good luck to you kremit

I am studying programming as a hobby as well, in the army, and I want to turn it into my career. Do you have the name of any of these companies? Were you an officer or enlisted during your time in? How did you get your command to let you go to these schools? I am a 1LT in the medical field in a FORSCOM unit and I am looking to make a change. I have an ADSO so accordning to AR 614-120 I cannot do an interservice transfer until my time is up. I am trying to get some contacts and would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times
If you want to do programming, then get a compsci degree and apply at defense contractors. 99% of coding is contracted out.

It's much cheaper for the government to pull and replace parts then waste time with a tech sitting there trying to program a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues