Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 09:23 PM

29,414 posts, read 22,296,279 times

Advertisements

Charles Keating IV, died while fighting ISIS on May 3, 2016.

His Silver Star was upgraded to a Navy Cross, the second highest military honor for gallantry under fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMzfEZghhhc

Navy SEAL Charles Keating IV gave life rescuing others from ISIS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,977,052 times
salute sailor..........

Old 10-03-2020, 06:34 AM

26,874 posts, read 13,088,379 times
In memory of Staff Sergeant Freeman A. Kilpatrick, 3rd Communications Squadron, United States Air Force and Airman Second Class Reis L. Leming, 67th Air Rescue Squadron, United States Air Force.

Two American Service Personnel posted to RAF Sculthorpe in England were awarded the George Medal for their actions during the North Sea flood of 1953. The George Medal is one of the highest peace time medal that can be bestowed for acts of bravery.

In Hunstanton, Norfolk, 31 people died, 15 local people and 16 members of four families from the United States. The 67th Air Rescue Squadron from the US was based at RAF Sculthorpe, just a few miles up the road.

The USAF 67th Air Rescue Squadron is now the 67th Special Operations Squadron and is now based at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk in England.

67th Special Operations Squadron - Wikipedia

George Medals - The medal is granted in recognition of "acts of great bravery".

Staff Sergeant Freeman A. Kilpatrick, 3rd Communications Squadron, United States Air Force

Tributes paid to forgotten hero, Freeman Kilpatrick, who saved lives in Hunstanton in 1953 floods - Eastern Daily Press

On the evening of 31st January, 1953 Staff Sergeant Freeman A. Kilpatrick knowing that flood tides and winds above 85 knots were threatening to engulf the area of his house in Hunstanton, without regard for his own safety ventured out into the storm for the purpose of warning other families, both American and English, of the impending disaster. He placed his family on the second floor of his home then swimming in the raging water and debris, he rescued eighteen persons. He then swam back to his home to evacuate his wife, child and two English people to the roof of his home where they remained until the following morning when rescued. Through his efforts, other families were able to escape while he and his family were forced to suffer the worst of the storm during the night.

Airman Second Class Reis L. Leming, 67th Air Rescue Squadron, United States Air Force

Airman Second Class Reis L. Leming - Wikipedia

Reis Leming, American Airman Who Saved Britons During a Disaster, Dies at 81 - New York Times

On the beach at Hunstanton Airman 3rd Class Reis Leming saved over 27 people from the flood. He was wearing an American exposure suit and, swimming with a rubber dingy in tow, he picked up these people who had been isolated by the floods. After the third trip he, himself, collapsed because of exhaustion.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-03-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-06-2020, 10:23 PM

The overused term “hero “ can definitely be used for this man. Combat is not the only place brave men rise to the occasion.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:41 AM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ci...3867&fhid=8001

No mention of his five bronze stars or havening been disabled since WWII. His daughter stole his disability money and his only other relative, his niece, couldn't manage a proper obituary in the local paper. He deserved better than that.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ci...3867&fhid=8001

No mention of his five bronze stars or havening been disabled since WWII. His daughter stole his disability money and his only other relative, his niece, couldn't manage a proper obituary in the local paper. He deserved better than that.
link has no mention of his service or awards..............?

Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 PM

1,386 posts, read 986,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
link has no mention of his service or awards..............?
Yea, that was the point. Whoever wrote the Obit didn't do him justice....

--

Old 02-27-2021, 05:18 PM

176 posts, read 94,118 times
As a military spouse for decades, I respect and appreciate this thread and that you want to honor all that have passed that served.

They all wrote that blank-check, offering even their very lives, the day they were sworn-in.

I hope to be able to contribute here as time permits. (dinner is near and the dang clock just stuck its tongue out at me.)

Old 02-27-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Yea, that was the point. Whoever wrote the Obit didn't do him justice....

--
I would be interested in reading more about him............ wondered if you had a link to his awards/service?

Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Another Marine......

This man was one of my best friends in my later life. Came to know him at AA meetings. He helped me more than I can relate here. After I got remarried years ago he just disappeared. Phone number disconnected,ETC.
He was always about doing for others. I have known hundreds of Vietnam veterans and he probably went through more hell than any I ever knew. I just found out he died way too young 6 years ago. I curse him only for not seeking me out. He just didn't want to "burden" anyone...........
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pj...982&fhid=17630

This was just one battle he took part in. He was in Echo company, 2nd of the 4th marines. In this 3 day battle alone his company took 60% casualties. He had so much shrapnel in him he quit flying for setting off the metal detectors..........

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-B...-1&tag=mh0b-20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues