Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Location: Indianapolis
2,294 posts, read 2,644,325 times
Reputation: 3151


Charles D. Kinser

73, passed away on October 10, 2012. He was born June 30, 1939 to the late Clarence and Helen (Miller) Kinser. Charles was a self-employed painter, and a veteran of the U.S. Army. Survivors include companion, Lana Bell; former wife, Virginia Kinser; son, Russell Osborne; daughters, Cindy, Lisa, Dawn, and Martine; brother, Allen; sisters, Clara, Shirley, Paula and Rebecca; 9 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren and 5 great-great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be conducted on Monday, Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. in Forest Lawn Funeral Home . Visitation will be from Noon until time of service on Monday. FOREST LAWN Memory Gardens & Funeral Home : Greenwood, Indiana (IN)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Location: Indianapolis
2,294 posts, read 2,644,325 times
Reputation: 3151

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley, who fought in some of the U.S. Army's bloodiest battles in three wars, died Wednesday in Columbus, Georgia. He was 92.

Plumley saw action in some of the largest battles of World War II, including the Battle of Normandy, the Battle of Salerno in Italy and Operation Market Garden.

He then fought in the Korean War, but it was his role in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam that brought him the most fame. The battle was chronicled in the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," which was later a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson. Sam Elliott played Plumley.

The National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, tweeted a picture of Elliot and Plumley in noting the veteran's death.

Plumley, along with Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, led the Army's 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment in the November 1965 battle that saw 450 U.S. forces face off against 2,000 troops from the North Vietnamese army in the first major engagement between the two armies. More than 230 U.S. troops were killed.

Plumley was at Landing Zone X-Ray, where 79 U.S. troops died.

"That was a long day. I was the second one in and next to the last to leave," Plumley was quoted as saying by The Bayonet in 2010 when he donated a large print of himself and Moore in Vietnam to the National Infantry Museum.

"Command Sgt. Maj. Plumley was a true American hero who spent much of his life placing his nation and its greatest ideals ahead of his own well-being," Maj. Gen. Anthony Ierardi, commanding general of the 1st Cavalry Division in Fort Hood, Texas, said in a statement Wednesday. "He served with great valor and distinction in three wars and continued to mentor soldiers and leaders well after his retirement from active duty. The command sergeant major touched countless lives in his more than 30 years in the Army."

Plumley joined the Army on March 31, 1942, and retired on December 31, 1974.

His Army awards included the Silver Star with one oak leaf cluster and the Bronze Star with one oak leaf cluster.

At a reunion of Ia Drang veterans this year in Columbus, Plumley talked about the troops he helped lead, according to a report on the U.S. Army's website.

"That battalion was the best trained, in good physical shape and most disciplined that I've ever seen," he said. "We did real hard training at Fort Benning before we went into X-Ray. … But that battalion was made up of hard, disciplined, well-trained and well-commanded soldiers who didn't give a damn how rough their training is as long as you're fair about it. I was glad to have been a member of it."

Plumley was a larger-than-life figure, who had the respect of those on the battlefield, according to Joe Galloway, a reporter who was at Ia Drang and later wrote "We Were Soldiers" along with Moore. At the May reunion, he told of the scene when Plumley showed up at another Ia Drang vets reunion years earlier.

"It was up in the hospitality room, and everybody's had a few pops. All of a sudden, Sgt. Maj. Plumley arrives, steps in the door," Galloway said. "And I saw guys who had served a two-year draftee tour in the Army and had been out for 25 or 30 years, turn white, backs against the wall. As the sergeant major made his way into the room, they made their way along the wall and out the door. They were afraid he still had their name and number."

Plumley died of colon cancer, the Army statement said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM
7,473 posts, read 3,977,607 times
Reputation: 6462
a soldiers soldier........salute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Location: Indianapolis
2,294 posts, read 2,644,325 times
Reputation: 3151

A World War II veteran, who drew national attention for a photo of him voting while dying of cancer has died, and now his vote may not count.

In his final days, it was difficult for 93-year-old Frank Tanabe to speak or even open his eyes. Yet he was determined to exercise his right to vote, filling out the absentee ballot with the help of his daughter, Barbara Tanabe.

"He has never missed an election in his entire life and he wasn't going to let this one go either," Barbara said.

That would be his final vote. Tanabe passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by family. But his patriotism continues to serve as an inspiration.

"Well I thought, like a good soldier, you know, do his duty and he voted until the last minute," explains Glen Arakaki, who served in the military intelligence service just like Tanabe.

Both attended last year's congressional Gold Medal Ceremony at our nation's capital. Arakaki doesn't understand why Tanabe's vote is technically invalid. "Even though the law says shouldn't count, in this particular case, I think, it should count."

According to Hawaii state law, if a person votes by mail and dies before the polls close on November 6, that vote, will not count. That applies to everyone, including those deployed in the military.

Hawaii Representative Karl Rhoads spoke out about the controversy. "My feeling is it should be just once you voted, that's it, unless there's some fraud involved."

Rhoads, who's also Vice Chair of the Judiciary Committee, believes the law should be changed, especially since executing the law would be very tough.

"Once you've already voted, it's very difficult to fish one ballot back out."

The office of elections confirms, when someone passes away, the city clerk needs to receive a notification of death, then, find and pull that person's ballot, which officials say, is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Still, Tanabe's final act as an American citizen, could leave behind a valuable legacy. His daughter said, "If the inspirational photo encourages more people to vote that would be the ultimate honor for my father."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Reputation: 31318
Window Rock, Arizona - Flags are flying at half staff across the Navajo Nation in honor of Navajo Code Talker George Smith, who died Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 at the age of 90. Navajo President Ben Shelly says the tribe's thoughts and prayers are with Smith's family. George Smith was born in Mariano Lake, New Mexico. Smith enlisted with the U.S. Marines in 1943 and was trained as a Code Talker. Funeral services have been scheduled for Saturday at Rollie Mortuary in Gallup, New Mexico and burial with full military honors will follow at the Rehobeth Cemetery.

August 2011, Navajo Code Talker George Smith signing "Young Marines" LCPL Garcia's cover. Young Marines is a
youth education and service program for boys and girls, ages 8 through completion of high school.
San Bernardino Valley Young Marines - Window Rock, AZ 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Reputation: 31318
Virgil Wallace Obituary: View Virgil Wallace's Obituary by Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Virgil Victor Wallace LUBBOCK- New Mexico's Oldest Bataan Death March survivor passes. Virgil Victor Wallace, 99, of Idalou, Texas passed away November 8, 2012. Virgil was born July 29, 1913 in Anton, Texas to William and Minerva (Six) Wallace. Mr. Wallace was raised on a ranch at Tatum, New Mexico. He enlisted in the Army March 19, 1941 and was a fuse setter in the 515th Coast Artillery/200th Coast Guard Artillery at Clark Field, Philippines. Virgil was among the 1800 New Mexico soldiers captured by the Japanese and forced to march 70 miles to a POW camp. Our hero was a prisoner for 3 years and 5 months. Wallace was forced to build air fields in the Philippines and later shipped to Japan to work in Japanese mines. He weighed 104 lbs. (from 200) at his release. Virgil was awarded the Bronze Star and numerous other medals. After WWII, Virgil returned to New Mexico where he worked for the DOT, doddle bugged for oil, owned the Smokey Bear Motel and Restaurant (Capitan) and retired from Carrie Tingley Hospital (T or C). In 1956 Virgil married Millie Dunlap and celebrated 50 years of marriage before Millie passed away in 2007. He was preceded in death by his parents; sister, Carrie; and brothers, Don and Clarence Wallace. Mr. Wallace is survived by his sister, Mary Dean of Capitan, N.M.; nephew and nieces, Gerald Dean, Jeannie McCraw, Donda Pool, Janie Corley, Pam Pruitt, Martha Castillo and Jack and Virginia Dunlap; and numerous great-nephews and nieces. Open visitation will be held 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, November 11, 2012 at Combest Family Funeral Homes in Idalou. Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, November 12, 2012, MST, at Tatum New Mexico Cemetery. Special thanks to go to the staff at Autumn House in Idalou for their love, care and compassion, the hospice Odyssey. The family especially wants to thank Jack and Virginia Dunlap and family of Lubbock for all their love and care of Uncle Bud. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you send donations to Wounded Warrior Project, www.woundedwarriorproject.org, or a .

Published in The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal on November 10, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Location: In The Pacific
987 posts, read 1,379,824 times
Reputation: 1238
I will honor those too of the living and not just those who have passed on!
I was in the Air Force for 30 years from 1967 to 1997. Brings back a lot of memories good, bad and sad, but mostly good for me, because I'm still alive and kicking, but sad, like some of my High School friends who got drafted and was sent to Vietnam in the mid 60s and never came back, except for one close friend I grew up with, but his health isn't doing so well today due to Agent Orange and PTSD that affected him during and after returning from Vietnam in the mid 70s!
Let us honor our military men and women, also those from other countries supporting America who are doing their duty maintaining our freedom in the U.S. and our allies around the world and remember, give praise to those who have died in pass wars and or those who passed on recently who gave their lives for freedom!

Last edited by Art2ro; 11-11-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
17,531 posts, read 24,593,177 times
Reputation: 9975
David Lee Danowski, killed at Phu Loi, Vietnam in February of 1966. Dave and I were good friends through 7th, 8th and 9th grades in school. We lost track after I joined the Army in 1961. Five years later when I arrived at Phu Loi, I was shocked to learn he was in the Army, had been stationed at Phu Loi and was killed shortly before my arrival. I would have enjoyed his company or, at least a beer or two with him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Location: Where the heart is...
4,927 posts, read 5,273,239 times
Reputation: 10673
Default Letter from an airline Pilot

Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
This thread is dedicated to those who have worn the uniform and have passed on.

This is not meant to only honor those who died in combat, but everyone who once wore a uniform and has now passed on.

They all made a sacrifice and in this thread, we shall tell their stories.

He writes:

My lead flight attendant came to me and said, "We have an H.R. on this flight." (H.R. stands for human remains.) "Are they military?" I asked.

“Yes”, she said.
“Is there an escort?” I asked.
“Yes, I’ve already assigned him a seat”.
“Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck. You can board him early," I said...

A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck. He was the image of the perfectly dressed soldier. He introduced himself and I asked him about his soldier. The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk about them as if they are still alive and still with us.

“My soldier is on his way back to Virginia ,” he said.

He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no additional words.

I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him that he had the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers. The first officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand. He left the flight deck to find his seat.

We completed our pre-flight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful departure.

About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead flight attendant in the cabin. “I just found out the family of the soldier we are carrying, is on board”, she said. She then proceeded to tell me that the father, mother, wife and 2-year old daughter were escorting their son, husband, and father home. The family was upset because they were unable to see the container that the soldier was in before we left. We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait four hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia.

The father of the soldier told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family to bear. He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival. The family wanted to be outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane. I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when she asked me if there was anything I could do. “I’m on it”, I said. I told her that I would get back to her.

Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail like messages. I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight dispatcher directly on a secondary radio. There is a radio operator in the operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the dispatcher. I was in direct contact with the dispatcher. I explained the situation I had on board with the family and what it was the family wanted. He said he understood and that he would get back to me.

Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher. We were going to get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family. I sent a text message asking for an update. I saved the return message from the dispatcher and the following is the text:

“Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There is policy on this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated escort team will meet the aircraft.

“The team will escort the family to the ramp and plane side. A van will be used to load the remains with a secondary van for the family. “The family will be taken to their departure area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the ramp. It is a private area for the family only.
When the connecting aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home. Captain, most of us here in flight control are veterans... Please pass our condolences on to the family. Thanks.”

I sent a message back telling flight control thanks for a good job. I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass on to the father. The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, “You have no idea how much this will mean to them.”

Things started getting busy for the descent, approach and landing. After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area. The ramp is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway. It is always a busy area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit. When we entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told that all traffic was being held for us.

“There is a team in place to meet the aircraft”, we were told. It looked like it was all coming together, then I realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. As we approached our gate, I asked the co-pilot to tell the ramp controller we were going to stop short of the gate to make an announcement to the passengers. He did that and the ramp controller said, “Take your time.”

I stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake. I pushed the public address button and said,

“Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking I have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. – We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect. His Name is Private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life. Private XXXXXX is under your feet in the cargo hold. Escorting him today is Army Sergeant XXXXXXX. – Also, on board are his father, mother, wife, and daughter. Your entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to allow the family to exit the aircraft first. Thank you.”

We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown procedures. A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door. I found the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see. I was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft.

When the family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap his hands. Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire aircraft was clapping. Words of “God Bless You”, I’m sorry, thank you, be proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their way down the aisle and out of the airplane.

They were escorted down to the ramp to finally be with their loved one.

Many of the passengers disembarking thanked me for the announcement I had made. They were just words, I told them, I could say them over and over again, but nothing I say will bring back that brave soldier.

I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this event and the sacrifices that millions of our men and women have made to ensure our freedom and safety in these United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and England.

Foot note: I know everyone who has served their country who reads this will have tears in their eyes, including me.

Prayer chain for our Military... Don’t break it! Please send this on after a short prayer for our service men and women.

They die for me and mine and you and yours and deserve our honor and respect

“Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us… Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need...

"In Jesus Name, Amen.”

There is nothing attached. Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you. Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman & others deployed in harm’s way, prayer is the very best one.


Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 11-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
7,473 posts, read 3,977,607 times
Reputation: 6462
he was right............tears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top