Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 AM

316 posts, read 660,773 times

Advertisements

Looks like by the location that I will be moving to as a retired military member my family and I will be qualified for only Tricare Standard or Extra, NO Prime!
So for people like me out there, what experiences have you had with your supplemental insurance and what would you recommended or heard from other military members experiences?
I have heard supplemental companies like USBA,MBA,MOAA and ASI to name a few.
Any help appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
These two threads have brief discussions on Tricare supplemental coverage:
Retired Military ... Tricare

TRICARE supplement insurance overcharge
We are on Tricare Prime and have decided supplemental coverage is not a good deal with or without Prime

Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We are on Tricare Prime and have decided supplemental coverage is not a good deal with or without Prime

TRICARE supplement insurance overcharge Link is CLOSED and doesn't answer the question I have.

If you are on Tricare Prime, You don't need supplemental insurance.
Supplemental Insurance is for those those that Don't qualify for Prime due to their location and can only get Standard Or Extra and w/o the supplemental will end up paying 25% of the costs out of pocket.

I need feedback from people that are in the same situation where they can only get Standard or Extra and had to purchase supplemental Tricare Insurance and what company do they recommend/had good claim experiences/price.

We we be Re locating to NW Indiana and Martins Point insurance mentioned in another thread does not cover that area.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:36 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
If a person is on Tricare Standard; then is there truly a 'need' for more?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Between tricare standard and the VA I'm doing alright, although I'm not a fan of waiting a month for an appointment (VA)

All my serious issues are service related, I'm disgustingly healthy otherwise.

Waiting for neurology, wondering which way to jump on this one (VA or Tricare)

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Between tricare standard and the VA I'm doing alright, although I'm not a fan of waiting a month for an appointment (VA)

All my serious issues are service related, I'm disgustingly healthy otherwise.

Waiting for neurology, wondering which way to jump on this one (VA or Tricare)
I am in our local hospital network, they are a fairly large teaching hospital, they have over a dozen other facilities scattered around the city [testing labs, therapy clinics, scanning, etc], and their network includes local doctor's offices in towns in a 30-mile radius.

I had a hernia in May, I got right in to my PCP, the soonest appointment I could get was October for a Urologist.

My Dw is going through a fairly serious problem and the soonest appointment she can get for a GYN is four months away.

I do not think that our 'problem' here is Tricare, when I ask I have been told repeatedly that ours is among the best insurance providers in terms of what they pay and how quickly.

I think the problem I am seeing is that the hospital here simply needs to have twice the number of MDs. The Doctor : patient ratio.

If you are having issues getting appointments, I wonder if the problem is not enough MDs in your area.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
I do not believe there is a need for more, but others would think they would.

I guess my original statement "We are on Tricare Prime and have decided supplemental coverage is not a good deal with or without Prime" should have explained that we originally looked at Tricare Prime versus Tricare Standard with a supplemental coverage. My wifes analysis at the time was that Tricare Prime was the best for us.

The original poster does not have the choice of Tricare Prime...

Rich

Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I do not believe there is a need for more, but others would think they would.

I guess my original statement "We are on Tricare Prime and have decided supplemental coverage is not a good deal with or without Prime" should have explained that we originally looked at Tricare Prime versus Tricare Standard with a supplemental coverage. My wifes analysis at the time was that Tricare Prime was the best for us.

The original poster does not have the choice of Tricare Prime...

Rich
I do not mean any insult. Or to sound like a smartaleck.

I understand that you looked at your options and decided Tricare Prime was best for you.

I understand that Tricare Prime is not available to the OP.

My question remains is Tricare Standard enough for the OP; Or is there truly a need for a supplement?

Is there some part of Standard that is faulty for the OP?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Is there some part of Standard that is faulty for the OP?
There is Standard[25% of costs you pay] and Prime[Full coverage or minimal costs you pay] policies.
If you don't live near a MTF you will pay 25% of your bill with standard, and your dependent's
aren't using the MTF.

Tricare Standard is not faulty but limited coverage, and for family's that want more coverage and less out of pocket costs they offer prime. If prime is not available your only other option is Tricare supplemental insurance to cover where prime would have.
With standard you are going to pay 25% of the bill up to a cap I believe of $3000. If you or your family has medical issues you could be paying this every year unless you were covered by prime or a supplemental insurance policy that covers what standard doesn't.

The original question was WHAT supplemental policies are people using these days with standard coverage that wanted extra coverage that didn't qualify for prime due to their location. Their are other medical conditions that surface in the future that are not VA service connected nor is the family dependents covered under VA...

Last edited by ranosb; 10-28-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
I am in our local hospital network, they are a fairly large teaching hospital, they have over a dozen other facilities scattered around the city [testing labs, therapy clinics, scanning, etc], and their network includes local doctor's offices in towns in a 30-mile radius.

I had a hernia in May, I got right in to my PCP, the soonest appointment I could get was October for a Urologist.

My Dw is going through a fairly serious problem and the soonest appointment she can get for a GYN is four months away.

I do not think that our 'problem' here is Tricare, when I ask I have been told repeatedly that ours is among the best insurance providers in terms of what they pay and how quickly.

I think the problem I am seeing is that the hospital here simply needs to have twice the number of MDs. The Doctor : patient ratio.

If you are having issues getting appointments, I wonder if the problem is not enough MDs in your area.

I'm attempting to use the VA since its servirely connected, and I'm betting it'll be expensive, so that 25% (thought it was 20?) That will be my responsibility would add up!

I'm also tier 1 in the VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues