Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM

65 posts, read 437,262 times

Advertisements

How many people who started as Non-Prior service attended Officer Training School in either Military Branch you are in?

Is there anyone? If so, I'd like to know what is it like about Officer Training in Air Force or Navy like. Any of you have any Officer in military experience? How was it? I'd like to know.

I am interested in probably applying for Office in either Air Force Reserve or Navy Reserve..

However, I don't know if I'm fit for a Leader. Although it's interesting to join Officer to get higher rank.

I'm generally shy and quiet person. I am eager but I don't know if I'm good enough for officer. I do have Bachelor's and Master's degree. But I also have interest in other career as well.

But I will inquire about it through the Recruiter.

Thanks,
webgirl01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I was non-prior service before going to OCS in the Army so I couldn't tell you how it's like in the AF or Navy.

Being shy and quiet isn't an issue, IMO. The biggest issue will be your competence both in job knowledge, capability and physical fitness capability. There are plenty of introverts, I consider myself an introvert.

Are you fit to be a leader? Are leaders born or made? Can anyone really answer that question? LOL.

My first suggestion would be to speak with recruiters from multiple branches, take the ASVAB and the physical. If you are eligible to join, then come back.

All these questions and concerns you have are naught if you are physically ineligible to join for whatever reason.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
You will do fine so don't worry about it. They will teach you some of the aspects of being a good leader. You can read some books about leadership and get some of the basic ideas down. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I was non-prior service before going to OCS in the Army so I couldn't tell you how it's like in the AF or Navy.

Being shy and quiet isn't an issue, IMO. The biggest issue will be your competence both in job knowledge, capability and physical fitness capability. There are plenty of introverts, I consider myself an introvert.

Are you fit to be a leader? Are leaders born or made? Can anyone really answer that question? LOL.

My first suggestion would be to speak with recruiters from multiple branches, take the ASVAB and the physical. If you are eligible to join, then come back.

All these questions and concerns you have are naught if you are physically ineligible to join for whatever reason.
Thanks for your reply Army_Guy.

If I do go to OCS, I do hope to do well. I just don't know or how I feel about leading. I guess it's either that or join as a enlisted. Well I'll have to be confident and positive. I am going to try talking to the recuiters about this. I also posted another message in the thread. I hope you can read it. Sorry if you think it's too long. I know I'll need to improve my writing skills, LOL!.

I see there's plenty introverts in military.

Is it possible to take ASVAB and the physical without being obligated to enlist first?

Does that mean I can keep taking ASVAB's on each branch? lol

Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
You will do fine so don't worry about it. They will teach you some of the aspects of being a good leader. You can read some books about leadership and get some of the basic ideas down. Good luck.
Hey Totsuka,

Thanks for your reply and tip. Where you in a military too? If so what branch? I will see about some leadership books. Were you in OCS too? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Introvert here. Hate public speaking (did it when I had to, but was never comfortable w/ it) but was able to survive. Made it to lieutenant colonel before calling it quits. I know a lot of quiet people who did the same. You'd be surprised what you can do, and don't even know it. Take it one day at a time, be proactive and hard working, take initiative, be positive "can-do", look after others - pretty simple formula.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You'd be surprised what you can do, and don't even know it. Take it one day at a time, be proactive and hard working, take initiative, be positive "can-do", look after others - pretty simple formula.
Agreed...

Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM

16 posts, read 38,706 times
I wouldn't worry too much about being shy and/or quiet. The military training and culture will mold you into a person that you've never thought you could become. I was an NCO (non-commissioned officer) and served 6 years on active duty in the Army. Looking back, I can say that it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Go do it...and good luck!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webgirl01 View Post
Thanks for your reply Army_Guy.

If I do go to OCS, I do hope to do well. I just don't know or how I feel about leading. I guess it's either that or join as a enlisted. Well I'll have to be confident and positive. I am going to try talking to the recuiters about this. I also posted another message in the thread. I hope you can read it. Sorry if you think it's too long. I know I'll need to improve my writing skills, LOL!.

I see there's plenty introverts in military.

Is it possible to take ASVAB and the physical without being obligated to enlist first?

Does that mean I can keep taking ASVAB's on each branch? lol
The ASVAB is not branch specific, the scores are used for the all the branches.

You are not obligated to sign if you take the ASVAB and/or physical. Think about it, it doesn't make sense. How can you sign a contract before the physical if the physical ends up later excluding you for whatever reason?

As for public speaking, they're not going to just throw you up in front of a group of people and say speak. Rehearsals are a big part of the military life.

As for enlisting first, being an Officer is totally different than being Enlisted. The job requirements and duties are totally different. Your subordinates will not respect you more or less if you were previously enlisted, they will respect you on the competency that you do your job and the respect with which you treat others (peers, superiors and subordinates).

Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 AM

196 posts, read 231,707 times
I wouldn't worry at all about being shy. From what I have seen, it is less of an issue in the Navy and Air Force.

I am a shy person and in the Army. From my experience, other officers are mostly supportive and you will get plenty of practice getting over your shyness by giving briefs and working together to solve problems. It is not a bad thing and I have enjoyed my time in the Army so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues