Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Medical Discharge and Medical Retired are the same? I was discharged from the military years ago with a service connected of 10%. I never bother with VA because the conditions weren't really bother me, but things change and they are bothering me a lot in the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,343,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Does anyone know if Medical Discharge and Medical Retired are the same? I was discharged from the military years ago with a service connected of 10%. I never bother with VA because the conditions weren't really bother me, but things change and they are bothering me a lot in the last few years.
It's not the same. It depends on your disability percentage and a pile of other things (time in service, was it pre-existing to service, etc.). If your medical condition(s) are enough to put you out, the 4 most common results of the evaluation are:

Return to duty (can still perform some functions of specialty and/or a highly, highly critical specialty-I personally knew an E-7 allowed to stay on with fatal cancer because his specialty was so critically short, he was in a nondeployable job, and he wanted to)
Discharge w/severance (< 30 % disabled)
Discharge w/permanent retirement (>= 30% disabled and it won't get better)
Discharge w/temporary retirement (>= 30% disabled but it might get better)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues