Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes
Sorry, I actually meant no. For some reason, I was thinking the title of thread was along the lines of "Are the military bands worth the money spent?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
(does the USAF really need it's own rock band?).
I would say yes, a six member band... I'm sure there is a certain good publicity derived by their sessions...

"Max Impact is one of the Air Force's most powerful, successful and highly-utilized strategic communication assets. At home or abroad, their high-energy performances assist in enhancing troop morale, building partnership capacities with local and foreign communities, increasing recruiting and retention efforts and inspiring patriotism using effective and powerful music." The United States Air Force Band - Band Ensemble Bio

Uploaded on Jun 7, 2010 - The Air Force rock band Max Impact performs their original song Locked and Loaded. The band shot on location in Las Vegas for one week and the video was produced by the Air Force Band and Nellis Television. Many thanks to all those who made this possible.

AF Rock Band Max Impact Music Video "Locked and Loaded" - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
I think the thing missing is that the band does more than just play music in most cases, and even in that role they are invaluable for community relations and recruiting

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would say yes, a six member band... I'm sure there is a certain good publicity derived by their sessions...

"Max Impact is one of the Air Force's most powerful, successful and highly-utilized strategic communication assets. At home or abroad, their high-energy performances assist in enhancing troop morale, building partnership capacities with local and foreign communities, increasing recruiting and retention efforts and inspiring patriotism using effective and powerful music." The United States Air Force Band - Band Ensemble Bio

Uploaded on Jun 7, 2010 - The Air Force rock band Max Impact performs their original song Locked and Loaded. The band shot on location in Las Vegas for one week and the video was produced by the Air Force Band and Nellis Television. Many thanks to all those who made this possible.

AF Rock Band Max Impact Music Video "Locked and Loaded" - YouTube
Those guys are great! Where's their contract? Oh, they have one.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
well, if the Blue Angels go, I guess the band should go too

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Band members are not required to go through recruit training, and enlist under contract to the band only, but they are active duty members of the Corps.

Of course they go through combat training see post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
All of the band members go to boot camp except "The President's Own" and they don't wear cross rifles on their rank insignia, but a lyre. They all start off as Staff Sergeants, and still have to maintain Marine physical fitness standards and are subject to the UCMJ, but have no combat requirements. The one exception is the drum major who is selected from the bands from the Fleet Marine Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When's the last time a band, as a band, went into battle?

One person posted it here that bands have been in combat. They generally provide base security while deployed.

Keeping the band is a tradition best not broken. We already contract out maintenance of equipment and feeding of soldiers. We are talking about lives here ladies and gentlemen. If we want to cut costs lets start with members of congress and as someone said O7 and above should not get their next pay increase or even lower it.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...=1212207827539

From the 2010 New Orleans Super Bowl Parade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues