Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

I wonder what your views are on pigs being used for help in medical training... I think if it helps injured soldiers then it has to be done for these purposes.
Britain defends shooting pigs for army medic training -- Society's Child -- Sott.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
That article is recent, 2012. Here is one article dated 2008 about the U.S. Army using pigs to practice. Army shoots live pigs for medical drill - US news - Military | NBC News Major Derrick Cheng, spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division, said the training was conducted as scheduled under a U.S. Department of Agriculture license and the careful supervision of veterinarians and a military Animal Care and Use Committee. "It's to teach Army personnel how to manage critically injured patients within the first few hours of their injury,". The soldiers are learning emergency lifesaving skills needed on the battlefield when there are no medics, doctors or facility nearby, he said.

I have died on at least three separate times. I did not really die, I just would have died. Fortunately modern medical science saved my life. One was intentional gunshot wounds by another person. One person died out of seven. I think about it every day.

I still eat pork chops...

Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I wonder what your views are on pigs being used for help in medical training... I think if it helps injured soldiers then it has to be done for these purposes.
Britain defends shooting pigs for army medic training -- Society's Child -- Sott.net
Pigs were also used in testing effects of radiation in the early days.

Nuclear Tests On Pigs

Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
I can see both sides of the argument but I side with their use for medical training. I have watched the training first hand and can attest to its use and what it provides. Our medics stated it was the best training they had ever gone through.

What I can say is that I was personally convinced the animals don't suffer physical pain. There were always a vet and several vet techs on hand to anesthetize them and to administer more medicine the moment the animal showed initial signs of discomfort or alertness.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
Why the questions? Pigs are also used for medical training in the civilian sector.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM

524 posts, read 400,166 times
It's called Live Tissue Training. The pigs are sedated and feel no pain, it's done in the most humane way possible. The training one receives in invaluable, there is no simulation that can be given to teach soldiers to stop a major artery from bleeding or reduce blood loss from gunshot wounds until they can get transport.

I love animals, I have many at home, but I understand the value and the lives this training saves.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
It's called Live Tissue Training. The pigs are sedated and feel no pain, it's done in the most humane way possible. The training one receives in invaluable, there is no simulation that can be given to teach soldiers to stop a major artery from bleeding or reduce blood loss from gunshot wounds until they can get transport.

I love animals, I have many at home, but I understand the value and the lives this training saves.

This is so invaluable. Without that training we are working on an as need basis to train. I am not medical. I got the rudiments but could I comfortably say I can save a life whose blood is spilling in front of me. I will admit no. I can only go on instinct. The training by medical personnel here that way helps them when the poop hits the windmill.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times
I'm glad to say the Army missed Miss Piggy.

Miss Piggy provided me with a brand new aortic valve on 28 December. If it keeps working as it said in the can, it should do me for another 30,000 jumps or so.

Do you have a problem with me checking it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues