Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

34 posts, read 76,272 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are caretakers for my father, age 79, retired E8 Vet, fought in the Viet Nam war, 80% disability rating. He is currently treated at the McGuire Medical Clinic in Richmond, VA. He gets exceptional care there and there is a transportation system that picks him up and brings him home from his appts. He has too many appts for my husband and I to take off work and take him per year. He just recently gave up driving as he is loosing his eyesight from macular degeneration. He suffers from diabetes and Parkinson's both as a result of Agent Orange.

I have read the complaints in this forum regarding the VA healthcare system. Whereas my father gets excellent care, my brother complains he does not. My brother has a 40% disability rating and not retired from service and he has a lot of health problems not service related. He suffers severe pain and will shop doctors for Ocycontin when he can't get it from the VA. It's like night and day. So I can see how some vets get great care and others do not. My brother did say that he got excellent care at the Houston VA Hospital before he moved to Virginia, then to DC, where he now lives.

The VA has given my father a scooter and lift for the truck, eyeglasses, walker, something to help him get up from bed, special lamps, several types of magnifying glasses to read with, a desk that you put on your lap to write on or read on, audio books and the device to listen to them, a shower chair, and hearing aids, and other things to assist him pick up things from the floor or reach his feet to wash them. I may have missed something.

We are interested in moving back to Texas this year and we are researching Houston and San Antonio/Austin areas (possibly Victoria but I doubt it). I would like to know the following:

1) If the VA hospital in Houston or San Antonio have a reputation for good care;
2) If anyone has transportation services provided to them, what the quality of those services are; and
3) What is your experience with getting the necessary appointments (i.e. easy to get/hard to get).

Currently my father receives a card in the mail telling him of his next appointment and he calls Van Go Transportation a day prior for pick up. He has regular appts and no trouble being seen if he is sick.

I would appreciate your input so we can make a good decision on where to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues