U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 29,109 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Here's some background:

I am currently 23 years old, graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management. I worked as a distribution manager at Amazon.com for roughly 1 1/2 years. I did not enjoy it there, planned on leaving and joining the Navy or Air Force but another job came up. So now I live in Memphis working for my dream company as a logstics manager... but I still want to fulfill my dream of joining the military.

So, I was planning on joining the reserves sometime next year (once I have established myself in my new company). Questions:

- Navy or Air Force reserves? Pros and cons?
- I know I can enlist as an officer, but since I have working experience... could I be ranked higher? Do I still need to take tests? What tests?
- How long is basic training for the reserves?
- My boyfriend also wants to join the reserves... do we have to be married to stay together? If we aren't married we will not be in it together? He does NOT have a degree and cannot go in as an officer. He is 27. We are not opposed to marriage, but we have been together for a while. Timing just isn't right for marriage yet.
- What is life like in the reserves? What happens on the one weekend a month on base?
- Obviously, what is pay like? The same benefits as if you were full active duty?

I'm not worried about deployment, I understand that is part of the job.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM

32,498 posts, read 52,894,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcha1 View Post
... - Navy or Air Force reserves? Pros and cons?
I am heavily biased in favor of Navy.

Quote:
... - I know I can enlist as an officer, but since I have working experience... could I be ranked higher? Do I still need to take tests? What tests?
Enlisted can enlist. Officers are given a commission. You may apply for a commission, there is no guarantee that you will be given a commission. The needs of the military change every year. Some times the bar is raised, some times the bar is lowered.

The Navy primarily commissions officers who hold B.S. degrees in Math, Physics or Engineering. They also take Accountants, Lawyers, Doctors and Ministers.

I am not familiar with any Naval officers who held B.S degrees in 'Supply Chain Management'. The Navy does have a Supply Corps, as a separate community within the Navy. Those officers are primarily accountants.

There is no advantage [in terms of rank] for work history.

The only time when it might become a factor is when you apply. An 4.0 Accountant [with a B.S. not a B.A.] and CPA, might not have much else on his application and might easily get into the Supply Corps.

With a 4.0 Logistics B.S., you may need your work history [letter of recommendation from employers, and Community Service organizations] to flesh out your application to be accepted.

Quote:
... How long is basic training for the reserves?
Basic training is for the enlisted. [In the Navy commonly called Boot camp]

OCS is for future officers.

Officer Training Command, Home of Navy OCS - Officer Candidate School

Officer Training Command Home Page

Quote:
... What is life like in the reserves? What happens on the one weekend a month on base?
- Obviously, what is pay like? The same benefits as if you were full active duty?
Assuming that you were never to be deployed, you would serve one weekend each month and 2-weeks each summer.

You would only be paid for those days you serve. Two days pay each month and fourteen days of pay each summer. As compared to the 30-days of pay every month that Active Duty are paid.

If you were to be called-up, then you will be treated like Active Duty for the duration.

Good luck

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

361 posts, read 670,861 times
I am also biased toward the NAVY. I am from a Navy family and my sons, three cousins and two nephews are Annapolis graduates.

I greatly admire your desire to serve, but a degree from the ASU Supply Chain Management program (best in the country now?) can take you a VERY long way in life, and to take time out from your career to serve will slow you down by three or four years. That may not be all that important to you, but as the military down-sizes, your upward mobility in the military will be very limited.

If you are insistent and join anyway, assuming they will take you (nothing personal, it is just that they are now trying to get rid of people, not bring them in) pick the NAVY. You will be stationed in some distant outpost like Honolulu or Yokuska or Norfolk, VA. The Air Force likes to send people to Minot, ND and Toole, Greenland.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,599,396 times
Sorry I don't have all the answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcha1 View Post
Hello everyone! Here's some background:

I am currently 23 years old, graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management. I worked as a distribution manager at Amazon.com for roughly 1 1/2 years. I did not enjoy it there, planned on leaving and joining the Navy or Air Force but another job came up. So now I live in Memphis working for my dream company as a logstics manager... but I still want to fulfill my dream of joining the military.

So, I was planning on joining the reserves sometime next year (once I have established myself in my new company). Questions:

- Navy or Air Force reserves? Pros and cons?
- I know I can enlist as an officer, but since I have working experience... could I be ranked higher? Do I still need to take tests? What tests? The only officers that are commissioned at a rank higher than O-1 are chaplains and lawyers. You would probably want to be a logistics officer given your background.
- How long is basic training for the reserves?
- My boyfriend also wants to join the reserves... do we have to be married to stay together? If we aren't married we will not be in it together? He does NOT have a degree and cannot go in as an officer. He is 27. We are not opposed to marriage, but we have been together for a while. Timing just isn't right for marriage yet. Not sure how they feel about that with the reserves. It shouldn't be a problem if you're married prior to joining, but if you are still "dating" it may be considered fraternization.
- What is life like in the reserves? What happens on the one weekend a month on base?

I'm not worried about deployment, I understand that is part of the job.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues